CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

Well, I'm a Californian.... Born in S.F. 58 years ago, lived in Novato, as a young child, some years passed living with my grandmother ion the Oregon coast, moved to Pacific Grove to be with my dad when my mom died, got married young and lived in Pacific Grove, Marina, (divorced) moved to Monterey, Seaside, Castroville, married again and relocated with my then-husband to Garden Grove, worked in Santa Ana Nd Los Angeles, divorced again and moved back to Castroville where I settled for 14 more years. Promoted and relocated to Sacramento in 2007, rented a house in West Sacramento and got chickens in 2009, and now I am moving - long, protracted process - to Somerset in El Dorado County. With my chickens, ducks and geese... And 2 dogs and a cat.

There. I'm Southern and Northern with the Central Coast comprising the majority of my California-ness. But the Sierra foothills will be where I make MY "forever home."

I'm another Kim. I live in an area known as Capay Valley, about 50 miles NW of Sacramento.
frow.gif

I grew up on the beach in northern San Diego County, moved to Davis for another 20 years and then moved here. It's a whole different culture everywhere I've been!
lol.png

Regards,
Kim

I cannot stand heat, either, being from the coast. I bought a room/window air conditioner unit from WalMart the other day and set it up last night. Today it has kept my little house bearable - only 884 square feet, just under twice the unit's rating, and it's done a great job!

Poor chickens. Earlier this week I put two fans in the coop for them. It does keep the coop cooler..... But all the chooks are still walking around with their wings away from their bodies.

I miss the Bay when it's hot out. I have a dinky house and a swamp cooler. Cools about a 4 ft wide area of my living room. Not worth turning it on when I can't seem to make the bills anyway, so I sweat and shower. LOL Cheapest alternative.

Haven't gotten anything done either. Checked waterers, cleaned out quail brooders and that was it. I filled feeders and waterers last night. If I do it that way and the nights are cool, the water seems to stay cold longer. Not just whatever I can get that's cool enough during the day.

The new pic is my grand daughter Makayla with her Modern Game roo, T-Rex aka Rexy. He's so tiny and she fell in love with this breed at the Stockton show in January. Every time I tried to buy one at the shows after that they were already snapped up. Worked out though, cause I got him super cheap. Now he needs girls. I had to chase him away from an AM hen. That would have been just to scary. Now I have to make sure he doesn't get out of his pen when I'm cleaning or feeding. hmmm wonder what a MG x Silkie would look like. LOL

Quote:
Keep meaning to look up OEGB but haven't gotten around to it yet. What does that stand for?
I'd love to find out what everyone is breeding/selling. I know we can't list our birds for sale here or quote prices but we can mention what we are all breeding and have available and we can post links to the auctions or for sale threads here as well.

Hi Sheryl! Great to see you here! Has the Nevada thread been that quiet lately or are my notifications down again?
hmm.png

Hi everybody! Still trying to get moved. Getting close to being done now. *whew* Then the unpacking and getting ready for the yard sale begins but it will be awesome when it's finally done. Today we began the lengthy process of dismantling the coop. We were going to start from scratch but realized that this makes more sense for now.

Quote:
Keep meaning to look up OEGB but haven't gotten around to it yet. What does that stand for?
I'd love to find out what everyone is breeding/selling. I know we can't list our birds for sale here or quote prices but we can mention what we are all breeding and have available and we can post links to the auctions or for sale threads here as well.

Hi Sheryl! Great to see you here! Has the Nevada thread been that quiet lately or are my notifications down again?
hmm.png

Hi everybody! Still trying to get moved. Getting close to being done now. *whew* Then the unpacking and getting ready for the yard sale begins but it will be awesome when it's finally done. Today we began the lengthy process of dismantling the coop. We were going to start from scratch but realized that this makes more sense for now.

Old English Game Bantams

I like Kayla's little bird though. Prehistoric little guy. LOL

I do love the OEGBs though, but I have few bantams. I love my big birds I guess, but if I had more room, I'm add some OEGB to the mix. They are so pretty.

Forgot what I came in for. I have no room in any of my bators right now, so I'll be selling hatching eggs. I have Coturnix quail, and I've also go a FBCM roo and a Silver EE roo (Came from Lav AM egg, was an oops) over Games, EEs and Olive Eggers. If anyone is interested pm me. I'm collecting from today until probably tuesday.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom