calling any one from missouri

And just a few minutes later, we are at full on snow
barnie.gif

Last summer was a bad one.
I lost a Welsummer to the heat last summer. My first lost to heat other than 2 chicks I let someone babysit for me and they got too hot.
Never lost a chicken to cold. That includes chicks that lost heat lamp power or those of all ages that ran into the woods and spent the night and returned in the morning unphased.
I had a couple batches of young chicks that lost power this winter, bldg was high 20s. They all pulled through just fine.
My youngest now are 3 weeks and have been in the unheated/uninsulated brood house with a single 250W lamp they are alread shunning so if I lose power I won't worry too much.
Nothing in the incubator luckily.

Last edited:
I lost a Welsummer to the heat last summer. My first lost to heat other than 2 chicks I let someone babysit for me and they got too hot.
Never lost a chicken to cold. That includes chicks that lost heat lamp power or those of all ages that ran into the woods and spent the night and returned in the morning unphased.
I had a couple batches of young chicks that lost power this winter, bldg was high 20s. They all pulled through just fine.
My youngest now are 3 weeks and have been in the unheated/uninsulated brood house with a single 250W lamp they are alread shunning so if I lose power I won't worry too much.
Nothing in the incubator luckily.
I honestly don't know how I didn't loose any birds this last summer, it was brutal. I did use lots of electrolytes and frequent water changes throughout the day. I did loose a BR roo the summer before last to the heat, I think he had heart problems anyway as his comb was always an off color leaning towards purple, and he was only 6 months old.

We are still hearing lots of thunder and lights have flashed a few times. That case of hand warmers I bought here awhile back might come in handy for the chicks lol

Handwarmers? What a nifty idea!
If you've got a gas water heater in a small room that keeps temps up too. Heat rises.
Does natural gas sink?

I'm just N. of I44 - almost a straight shot South of JC. Had a coating of sleet at daylight today and shortly after started getting waves of sleet and I swear small hail. Thunder boomers in sleet storms. Couple inches on the ground now.

Back
Top Bottom