calling any one from missouri

Birds freak at anything new. Most haven't seen this stuff before and even if they have - they sure don't like it! Coldest night is tonight - hope they do decide to come in - last thing you want to hear is guineas shattering like glass bombs when they fall out of the tree!

Thanks, I heard some guineas over by the barn as the sun was going down, so I'm hoping most/all have flown back home for the night. I have had them freeze to death roosting in the trees before....sucks after all the time money and effort I've put into them, and it's not even tick season yet!!

Ask and ye shall receive! lol.

On the natural board we were talking about the Indiana chicken fest and I said I wanted to go to a chicken fest.
Well it's not a chicken fest but Cool Chicks North of St Louis a new group on facebook have organized a meeting in a little town called Shelbina (that's shell like a sea shell and bi as in bye). Anyway.... they decided to meet in the middle and that's why they chose Shelbina.
If you are available and I don't care where you live really if you want to come and join in the chicken chatter everyone is welcome!
Here is the info: March 7th at 2pm to ??
This & That Restaurant, 119 W. Chestnut, Shelbina Mo.

I'm very excited! I'm going to my very first chicken meet up
wee.gif

Cool. My mom lives there

Ask and ye shall receive! lol.

On the natural board we were talking about the Indiana chicken fest and I said I wanted to go to a chicken fest.
Well it's not a chicken fest but Cool Chicks North of St Louis a new group on facebook have organized a meeting in a little town called Shelbina (that's shell like a sea shell and bi as in bye). Anyway.... they decided to meet in the middle and that's why they chose Shelbina.
If you are available and I don't care where you live really if you want to come and join in the chicken chatter everyone is welcome!
Here is the info: March 7th at 2pm to ??
This & That Restaurant, 119 W. Chestnut, Shelbina Mo.

I'm very excited! I'm going to my very first chicken meet up :weee

I am not to far from Shelbina!!! I just might have to come over! I am not on here much just mostly reading!

Good morning all! I am new here and just got our girls last night, extremely excited :).. last night my husband and I realized, now that we have them, we have more questions than we thought :) LOL..Like, our garden is next to the run, and want to put tomatoes on the fence line, but read somewhere that tomato is not good for them.

Slick as snot here but less than 1/4" so lines OK. Others have not been so lucky.,

Sorry, can't credit this as I don't remember where I filed it from. Some plant miniature pumpkins up the run fence.

Add raw potatoes to this list - the skins can carry hair worms. Just nuke them first.

Chickens will eat just about anything you give them, but there are some things that aren’t good for them. Here’s a list of things that you shouldn’t feed your chickens:
Green or sprouted potatoes – They contain a toxin called Solanine, which affects the nervous system (it’s bad for both birds and people). The leaves and stems also have the toxin, so try to keep them off of your potato plants. Sweet potatoes are a different matter all together, and can be given to your chickens without worry.
Tomato, pepper and eggplant leaves As members of the nightshade family, they contain Solanine, just like potatoes, so you should try to keep your chickens off your plants. They can, however, eat tomatoes, peppers and eggplants.

Avocadoes – The pits and skins contain the toxin Persin, which can be fatal to chickens. The fleshy part is safe to give them in moderation.
Citrus Fruits – Some say it will slow egg production down; others say it can cause diarrhea; still others say it’s A-okay. Proceed at your own risk.
Chocolate – It contains Theobromine, which is toxic to birds and many other pets.
Dry/uncooked beans – Uncooked beans contain a toxin called Hemaglutin, which is bad news for birds and people, too.
Raw eggs – Once your chickens discover how tasty eggs are, they may start eating them right out of their nest boxes. If you’d like to feed your chickens eggs (they are a great source of protein, after all), just scramble them first.
Onions, chives and garlic – A little bit is fine, but if they eat too much, it may affect the flavor of their eggs; and it could cause them to develop Heinz Anemia.
Rhubarb leaves- They contain Oxalic Acid, which can cause calcium deficiency. Prolonged exposure can lead to kidney failure.
Really salty foods Some salt is okay, but too much can be deadly. Avoid giving them heavily-salted foods, and you should be fine.
Rotten food – Feeding them over-ripe fruits and veggies is fine, but don’t give them anything that’s moldy or rotten. If you wouldn’t eat it, they shouldn’t eat it either.
Raw meat – It can carry parasites and diseases. Some feel it can also lead to aggressive behavior and cannibalism in the flock.
Processed foods – Junk food isn’t good for you, and it isn’t good for your feathered friends either.
Greasy foods – They’re difficult for them to digest.
Dairy – Chickens aren’t able to digest lactose, so it’s best to skip it. If you’re looking for a good calcium source for your chickens, try crushed up egg shells or oyster shells.
Grass clipping and pulled weeds – Eating pieces that are too big can lead to an impacted crop, so it’s best to let them forage for themselves.
Raw peanuts – As a member of the legume family, they contain a trypsin inhibitor (trypsin is an enzyme that the pancreas makes to help the intestines absorb protein). Because of this, raw peanuts are known to be bad for squirrels and other small animals, and some birds can’t eat them either. Opinions are mixed as to whether they’re okay for chickens.

Last edited:
Hi lady k and welcome from Northeastern MO.

Yodercountrygirl, I LOVE your name. I'm a yodercountry person also and a stone throws away from you and potagergirl in Macon Co. We should all get together sometime....when the ice and snow are gone and it is a toasty 85 degrees outside that is..

Last edited:
Good morning all! I am new here and just got our girls last night, extremely excited
smile.png
.. last night my husband and I realized, now that we have them, we have more questions than we thought
smile.png
LOL..Like, our garden is next to the run, and want to put tomatoes on the fence line, but read somewhere that tomato is not good for them.
welcome-byc.gif
we are happy to have you!
What kind of girls did you get?

Back
Top Bottom