calling on the experts on HUMDITY

So are the eggs that are in the modified egg carton during lockdown big end up or pointed end up? Or are they somehow laid on their side?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Yup, large end up but I tried to slightly lay mine on their side because they are bantam eggs. I am going nuts checking on them. I am so afraid nothing is going to hatch.
I am not sure how to keep the humidity up. I've had to open the little red vents and pour water in and now I'm misting to try and maintain humidity. I wish I had planned better and got some of the aquarium tubing that someone here recommended. It's not that easy to fill the water bowls inside, it's leaking out. I will do better next time.

Hi
and thank you.
No i do not have a back up thermometer and I was wondering if I should get one - guess I should.
I did not assist any chicks in any way on that hatch...thought I might have to at one point but one that pipped and then stayed there forever and was getting so knocked by tw othersr, I quickly grabbed out chicks, sprayed water on the rest of the eggs (that was the only one that was pipped at time) closed top and low and behold withing a few minutes the chick started to zip and all slowly but surely.  I guess that one needed some water. I was real fast too.
I am going to weigh tonight...did not last night as I am tossed up in figuring what day I am on.  Do you count the setting day as zero or 1.  Makes a difference in my opinion.
I so wish this hen I have would be broody enough but she is fickle broody.  Wants to be broody in the coop but not so much in the nice area I made for her and have had her confined in for 3 days.  UGH!
Well approx. 1/2 way thru this hatch and will see what is going on later.  Hopefully the three are still viable and looking good.
Cindy

OK NOW I AM SO CONFUSED
just candled and weighed eggs.  candling the three eggs  ALL HAD VEINS EYE MOVEMENT AND AIR CELL - yeah
weighed - ALL were at the same % of weight loss but too much already.  52 gr. to 42 gr. in 10 days   too much  57 gr. to 46 gr.  too much.
If I had not weighed...then all would seem ok to me as they look great on candling.  HELP....this is frustrating and confusing and I dont know if or what I may be doing wrong. Temp avg. 99.5 humidity avg. 45%
I am in the same boat. I have a Brinsea octagon 20 Eco and it's been seven days for my eggs. Temp is at 99.5 and humidity has been around 35%. One egg went from 2.6 ounces to 2.1 ounces. I use a postage scale so I think it is fairly accurate. Should I add water to raise the humidity?

At what % is your humidity I have a homemade incubator and I just poor warm water in the containers
frow.gif
Hi neighbor! I'm kind of close to Turlock.

I've hatched 100s chicks this year. I started using the egg cartons to hatch in and love it. Clean up is easier and they seem to zip little faster. I run my humidity around 35% days 1-18 and raise to 60% last 3 days. I use 2 Hovabator 1588 one is used as a hatcher. With our climate being dry I have to fill all the bottom trays on the last 3 days to get 60%. Days 1-18 I don't fill any of the trays but use 2 baby bottles 4oz size along the side of the turner. This gives me the right surface area of water and its deep so last awhile.

I added some water to the chamber and brought my humidity up to near 50%. I candled again last night and the air sacs looks fine....not too large like they lost too much and there was plenty of veining and movement. I too have a postage scale and thought it was pretty accurate and I am confused at the weight loss noted but I am just going to hope for the best.

Add some water and raise your humidity (in my opinion) - I dont think it will hurt any.

Woo Hoo!!!!
wee.gif

Yipeeee!!!!!
celebrate.gif

I have two chicks, and the third is piping. I have my grandkids here & they are going nuts about the one who just piped. Everyone wants me to help it out. I am sitting on my hands---I can't wait to know it's going to make it out okay.

NOW WHAT????

I know I read that I need to leave them in the incubator for the next 24 hours. They are on a paper-towel---should I put something in there for them to sit on? Do I keep the humidity up or during this time (after the 3rd one is hatched out) do I let it start to drop? I mean when I move them into a brooder they will not have the high humidity ---so do they need to start to adjust to a normal temp.
I haven't had chicks in the house for awhile---I usually let my hen take care of them. I have never hatched in a bator---I just don't want to do something wrong now.

This was way too much fun and I know the bug has bitten me now as I'm already trolling the incubating eggs auction.

Woo Hoo!!!!
wee.gif

Yipeeee!!!!!
celebrate.gif

I have two chicks, and the third is piping. I have my grandkids here & they are going nuts about the one who just piped. Everyone wants me to help it out. I am sitting on my hands---I can't wait to know it's going to make it out okay.

NOW WHAT????

I know I read that I need to leave them in the incubator for the next 24 hours. They are on a paper-towel---should I put something in there for them to sit on? Do I keep the humidity up or during this time (after the 3rd one is hatched out) do I let it start to drop? I mean when I move them into a brooder they will not have the high humidity ---so do they need to start to adjust to a normal temp.
I haven't had chicks in the house for awhile---I usually let my hen take care of them. I have never hatched in a bator---I just don't want to do something wrong now.

This was way too much fun and I know the bug has bitten me now as I'm already trolling the incubating eggs auction.
Hey
I have only hatched out one batch but you need to keep the humidity up and preferably NOT open the incubator with a pipped egg in there. It can lower humidity and shrink wrap membrane around chick. Do you only have the three eggs/chicks? If so, once the third hatches no need to add any water or anything but keep them in the bator till they have dried and fluffed up. The humidity in there will not bother them. You can open up the vents then to let out some humidity so they dry out. You can lower the temp by a degree as the 99.5 is the incubating temp but the birds still need to be kept warm.

Back
Top Bottom