Campine Chicken thread?

Tara, Here are some of the chick pics I found in this thread. As you can see, there is a lot of variety indicating a lot of genetic differences. I PERSONALLY have never tracked a chick from down to adult plumage, but you can bet your fanny I will this year. Lots of pics and proper identification on all. I think I will hatch fewer this year to make it easier to manage. I can't wait to decipher the genetics of my birds (with your help, I hope.)
I asked and you have more than delivered...thank you...now you gotta give me time...weekend, no puter time usually--more the run away and play days, eh!
wee.gif

And hush up eh...you do know we have to keep this clicking part and tracking secret to only ourselves...for if you announce it, crow it to the world that you spend time photographing day olds to death...well they do have nice rubber rooms in reserve for us crazy birdy bird person...right? Unless yer born with this sickness, there are persons that never quite get you...which is good as birds of a feather SHOULD flock together, but keep it hush hush...psst...er this happens...
smack.gif

So here is a bit of inspiration to know, there are those that appreciate the keeners...as uncommon a chicken teeth we be!
lau.gif

Male left, female right - about then I knew their genders...dealing with a pair

Girl and boy

Female - her buff tinge became more a buffy laced

His miscolour was merely a phaeomelanin patch on his wing...
I was getting close but no cigar...I knew the selfwhite was not too far off by tracking this pair and having the luxurious HINDSIGHT to know the day olds to select for. The birds taught ME...the birds never lie and it is my job to listen and understand what they tell me...
cool.png

By studying day old self whites...the F4 generation netted me this
She is white...no miscolours...

And size wise...she is a bantam compared to my standard
White standard cock then partridge wip, the self-white hen, then self-buff and golden laced
All females are not real blooded bantams in the various stages of varieties

2008, day old in buff, partridge and white in the Chanteclers
I photo'd the beginnings at the beginning

but HEY...how cutester are baby birds for you not
to capture the cuteness factors!

These F2's were a good start on partridge (golden laced is close), self-buff and self-white

Bantam Chantecler project birds
The F4's ARE still rainbows of colours but I also have learned myself up
To listen to what the birds have to tell me

Partridge, Red, and self Buff...day olds

F4 as day olds...partridge on left, self buff right top and self white on bottom right
As DAY OLDS my birds have taught ME...the unteachable ijit
To know them as adults

Listen to your birds...that's a ding dang ORDER...and I expect you to salute and turn on your heel and get her done woman!
th.gif

Even if they scream so loud other cockerels cannot BEAR the sound!

Heh heh heh...
hmm.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisher1000

Tara, have you found this?
https://archive.org/stream/cu31924003118621#page/n79/mode/2up

The link to that book was on page 3 or 4 of this very thread ... but (and a big butthead I be), have not yet had moments to open it...I see you have selected some pages...so I have homework to do to catch up with YOU! Speedy speedy lady you be!
hugs.gif

Be nice to moi...not my breed, not my variety, not my infatuation...but I can TRY...for the time allowed and the limitations we all face. That's my story and I have a weekend unfolding that screams other distractions...hee hee...away, away I go...see you next week, eh.
tongue2.gif

And yeh...awesome day old clicks...I even see some I have had and puzzled on...see some eb and I see some what I coined out as "pied partridge!" Hilarious...truly hilarious!

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Sorry to interrupt the genetics discussion, but has anyone heard of people breeding golden Campines by the last name of Hance or Birdsell in Harmony, NC. They were at the state fair, showing goldens. I tried to look them up here and at Poulty Show Central's website, but nothing came up. I'll upload pics of their birds soon.

Cockerel and Pullet. The cockerel was holding his tail down the whole time.

Cock and Hen. Hen from same guy as above; cock from another guy, seemingly his brother.

Cock and Hen. Cock had floppy comb, but better pattern. Hen seemed to have feathers missing from neck.

Now, my eye has not had years of training from breeding these chickens, so I am asking ya'll for your criticism. Are these birds you would even consider for a breeding program?

Last edited:
Hello and welcome, Wyandotte13.

The pics are not sufficient for an indepthe critique, but I can offer a few observations. I would guess that these are his extra/cull birds and were not kept for breeders because he has others that are better.

The price ($35) is a good price, I don't see any disqualifications on any of them but again, I can't be sure. Tail barring seems good on the male and older pair. I like a smaller comb but that can be fixed. The earlobes are nice and the leg and eye color are correct. It looks like one may have some scaley leg mites (I wouldn't pass on that alone, as they can be cured) and the feather issue is cosmetic, likely from breeding. They look pretty typical for what is most commonly available in the Golden Campines and are better than what I started with.

As for the owner, you can contact the show secretary and ask for help contacting them, or go through the white pages in that area. Good luck. Go for it!

That's a loaded question. I have WAY too many chickens right now, it's beyond time to cull. Normally (what's normal?) I will have four cocks, and ten hens in my breeder barn, but I think I will change that this year......still contemplating that one.

If you are trying to decide how to set up YOUR program, I may be able to get you started thinking.

Your facilities will dictate your maximum number. How many chickens can you raise? How many chicks can you grow out and keep until they are grown? There are many ways to structure a breeding program. You can breed in pairs (smaller pens,) or in trios (larger, but still small,) or you can "pen mate" which is what I have done for a few years now (but I'm thinking of changing to pairs.) It means a male in with a number of females, or pens of females and a male that is rotated through them. You will also need brooder space, and two grow out pens (male and female) minimum.

If you want a variety of eggs, that is another facility. At my place, the "egg coop" is just backup breeders, or hens that I am not using to hatch, but which I could draw from if I needed to replace one in the breeding pens. Along that same note, I also keep other breeds of hens that lay different colored eggs in with my Campines, but it is easy to know which eggs they lay by color. Us women need our colorful egg baskets, but the more of those one has the fewer Campines one can raise......

As for the minimum number needed, it's a pair. You can start a breeding season with a pair and (hopefully end it with a better pair that they produced, but that will be slow progress and if you lose one adult bird early on, you are in trouble. I would not feel comfortable with less than two trios, even if I only bred from one pair. I have heard that there is little point in hatching and raising fewer than 60 chicks if you are breeding to standard and want to see measurable improvement. I have also heard that minimum number is 214, eh, Tara?

I hope that helped.

Last edited:
Lets say I wanted to know exactly which hen produced which chicks; would a trio be a good idea? Is it possible for one rooster be rotated between two hens kept in separate pens, while eggs are collected and hatched from both at the same time? Also, when do you start hatching and how long do you hatch? How would hot weather vs.cold weather affect the vigor of the chicks?

All good questions!

Yes, your idea would work. You would need a pen for each hen and a pen for the cock. They would likely all benefit from some "no pressure" time. I would start with having him in with each hen one day a week and if fertility is off, increase the time of the visits. You could give him 24 hours in pen A and then 24 hours in pen B and then a couple of days in his own pen, and then start over. Try to position the pens where they can all see each other. Chickens are happiest with their own kind.

I keep a pen on a string on the door of each pen. When I collect eggs, I write the date and which pen it came out of and set them all together. I incubate them in the same incubator, but separate them into different hatchers when I see the first pip, around day 19. After they hatch, you can toe punch, wing band, or leg band them. I like to start segregating the chicks by gender as soon as possible, so I put them all together but pull the males as soon as I identify them and put them in another brooder. I usually have them separated by three to four weeks with the bulk done before three weeks.

When you hatch is part location, part intentions for your year, and part personal preference. Most people time their hatches according to the weather in their area, whether or not they plan to show in the fall, or to be finished with brooding in time for family vacations. Once you've done it a few times, you will have worked out a schedule that is best for you. I start in January or February, hatch till May or until I reach the maximum number of chicks I want to raise. By late April, or early May, the flies and heat are more of an issue in Alabama than keeping them warm.

@Wisher1000 there is an interesting article, in PDF format, at Feathersite called "The Charm of the Campine." It states two interesting things I have not heard before. 1.) That Campine is to be pronounced Kam-peen. and 2.) that a Campine feather that is not tipped with white or gold, and rather tipped with black, is faulty. However, the SOP has a picture of a campine feather on page 24 that is not tipped with white. Have you heard of this?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom