Campine Chicken thread?

You will know.... the cockerels sometimes start crowing in a week or less. The combs on the cockerels will be sticking up above the feathers within the first three weeks. They do better if you segregate by gender and what I do is set up two brooders. I put them all in the same brooder to start but then pull males as soon as I identify/suspect them. Occasionally, a male will look like a female a bit longer than the majority of the rest, but usually, I have it all sorted out by five weeks at the latest.

As for a breed club, I am working on that now. I am ordering t-shirts for a group of us that are showing in Illinois next month. Do you want one?

You will know.... the cockerels sometimes start crowing in a week or less.  The combs on the cockerels will be sticking up above the feathers within the first three weeks.  They do better if you segregate by gender and what I do is set up two brooders.  I put them all in the same brooder to start but then pull males as soon as I identify/suspect them.  Occasionally, a male will look like a female a bit longer than the majority of the rest, but usually, I have it all sorted out by five weeks at the latest.

As for a breed club, I am working on that now.  I am ordering t-shirts for a group of us that are showing in Illinois next month.  Do you want one?

Okay, that's a good idea separating the sexes. I would buy a cap if you get any made.

Two cockerels (?) at 16 days old.

Some Campines at my friend Rik's place in Belgium.
Any points?
Always eager to learn.

ps: the cock comes from Denmark, the chickens are Danish x English

Heritage breed have to keep track of time just as well we thought.
That's why we launched a brandnew Whatsapp group.
PM me your cell phone number and I'll add you manually or you can open this link: https://chat.whatsapp.com/D8GdosBhIEMFGzxUGGAZAE

The group is by no means intended to replace our nice forum we have on BYC.
I thought it be good to ask fellow breeders simple and straightforward questions like 'which rooster do you think is best?' or 'does this hen have the right outline?'.
Helping each other out enhancing the Campine breed.
For more elaborate discussions we can meet on BYC.

Some Campines at my friend Rik's place in Belgium.
Any points?
Always eager to learn.

ps: the cock comes from Denmark, the chickens are Danish x English

Oh, M, I would kill for some of these. I am dumbfounded. I almost can't breathe looking at those birds. If this is what you have available now, you don't need my eggs. I only wish there were some way to get some of those here............. dang....................

Back
Top Bottom