Campine Chicken thread?

Not mine, but they do look nice, flocking together;)
Els Oostvogels Invasie Campines.jpg

Improved Campines
by Willis Van Dewalker
American Poultry Advocate, March 1914

In writing this article on Improved Campines, I do not want to belittle any other breed, for I have bred various breeds for fifteen years and a found a number of breeds to be profitable I handled properly, but I find the Campine is the most profitable breed under all conditions.

Breeders who get started in this great breed will certainly enjoy a great boom that is now just starting and which is sure to continue.

In the few years they have been bred in this country they have become very popular, and will continue to become more popular as they become better known. Only those who have bred them can realize their full value, both as a utility and fancy fowl.

The Campine is the most economical fowl bred today, producing more eggs on the same amount of feed than any other beed and just as much meat, for the cockerels are quicker to mature than most breeds, making good broilers at eight weeks of age. Their eggs are not only white, but whiter than any other eggs. This will be appreciated by anyone supplying a fancy white egg trade. The Campines lay nothing but a chalk white egg.

The chicks are great foragers and exhibit the same desirable characteristics of vigor, activity and hardiness as their parents. The Campine can be hatched later in the season and will reach the lating point in the fall easier and sooner than other breeds. There is a very small percentage of loss among the young chicks due to their natural hardiness and healthulness.

There is more meat on a Campine according to its gross weight than any other fowl, as the waste in dressing is comparatively small.

Campines seldom if ever, become broody. They also breed true to color. It may be said also as being of great importance that sudden change off temperature or change from one pen to another will not interfere with the egg production. As an example, the first prize hen at Syracuse was lating when shipped to the show. She laid nearly every day of the show, and in the chipping coop when returning. Two weeks later she won first at Rochester and a week later first at Buffalo, and during all this time she laid every day and every other day alternately. A hen of any other breed would quit laying under such changes.

It is a well known fact that the best results are obtained from a flock by being given large quarters with plenty of fresh air and light, with opportunities for exercise, yet it has been proven that if one has a small space for carrying on the poultry business, the Campine will give the best results, as they can be confined in closer quarters than other breeds and still retain health and produce good profits. This is true by reason of the exceptional hardiness of the breed, and its great activity under all conditions. The result is the Campine earns most of its living by picking up all natural food and it is well known that the Campine actually consumes only about two-thirds the amount of food consumed by other breeds.

The Campine can be and is successfully reared in any climate from Mexico to Canada, and throughout Belgium, England and India can be found many successful breeders off this fowl.

I have read many articles in various poultry journals and have received a good deal of literature from other breeders, all speaking of the excellent quality of the Campine. By actual experience I find in their enthusiasm they do not overdraw the picture of the Improved Campine as to their utility and fancy points.

Improved Campines
by Willis Van Dewalker
American Poultry Advocate, March 1914

In writing this article on Improved Campines, I do not want to belittle any other breed, for I have bred various breeds for fifteen years and a found a number of breeds to be profitable I handled properly, but I find the Campine is the most profitable breed under all conditions.

Breeders who get started in this great breed will certainly enjoy a great boom that is now just starting and which is sure to continue.

In the few years they have been bred in this country they have become very popular, and will continue to become more popular as they become better known. Only those who have bred them can realize their full value, both as a utility and fancy fowl.

The Campine is the most economical fowl bred today, producing more eggs on the same amount of feed than any other beed and just as much meat, for the cockerels are quicker to mature than most breeds, making good broilers at eight weeks of age. Their eggs are not only white, but whiter than any other eggs. This will be appreciated by anyone supplying a fancy white egg trade. The Campines lay nothing but a chalk white egg.

The chicks are great foragers and exhibit the same desirable characteristics of vigor, activity and hardiness as their parents. The Campine can be hatched later in the season and will reach the lating point in the fall easier and sooner than other breeds. There is a very small percentage of loss among the young chicks due to their natural hardiness and healthulness.

There is more meat on a Campine according to its gross weight than any other fowl, as the waste in dressing is comparatively small.

Campines seldom if ever, become broody. They also breed true to color. It may be said also as being of great importance that sudden change off temperature or change from one pen to another will not interfere with the egg production. As an example, the first prize hen at Syracuse was lating when shipped to the show. She laid nearly every day of the show, and in the chipping coop when returning. Two weeks later she won first at Rochester and a week later first at Buffalo, and during all this time she laid every day and every other day alternately. A hen of any other breed would quit laying under such changes.

It is a well known fact that the best results are obtained from a flock by being given large quarters with plenty of fresh air and light, with opportunities for exercise, yet it has been proven that if one has a small space for carrying on the poultry business, the Campine will give the best results, as they can be confined in closer quarters than other breeds and still retain health and produce good profits. This is true by reason of the exceptional hardiness of the breed, and its great activity under all conditions. The result is the Campine earns most of its living by picking up all natural food and it is well known that the Campine actually consumes only about two-thirds the amount of food consumed by other breeds.

The Campine can be and is successfully reared in any climate from Mexico to Canada, and throughout Belgium, England and India can be found many successful breeders off this fowl.

I have read many articles in various poultry journals and have received a good deal of literature from other breeders, all speaking of the excellent quality of the Campine. By actual experience I find in their enthusiasm they do not overdraw the picture of the Improved Campine as to their utility and fancy points.
Wow do you breed campines ? I would love to talk to you about your prices if you breed. Also I am working on a rare chicken breed website for in depth information and also for awareness and preservation. Please let me know if you would be interested in assisting me with gathering information, we would of course a credit due to all the information. Thanks so much let me know.

I am probably the closest thing we Campinists have to a sort of de facto "official historian". Needless to say, I've collected as much of the breed's history as possible and have spent a lot of hours scouring old publications, newspapers, etc. for anything pertaining to Campines. I would be more than happy to help you in any way I can with information.

At the moment, I have no Campines for sale and have, for the most part, avoided selling hatching eggs, etc. simply because I feel that there are much genetics available out there that I can offer. When I started in Campines, I was pretty much forced to go the hatchery route and re-invent the wheel, so to speak. Needless to say, I still cull very heavily for common faults like eye color, shank/tarsi color, etc., especially in Silvers, and am still producing faults commonly that I'd rather not share or spread around. I could however, refer you to some sources. We need more Campinists!

I am probably the closest thing we Campinists have to a sort of de facto "official historian". Needless to say, I've collected as much of the breed's history as possible and have spent a lot of hours scouring old publications, newspapers, etc. for anything pertaining to Campines. I would be more than happy to help you in any way I can with information.

At the moment, I have no Campines for sale and have, for the most part, avoided selling hatching eggs, etc. simply because I feel that there are much genetics available out there that I can offer. When I started in Campines, I was pretty much forced to go the hatchery route and re-invent the wheel, so to speak. Needless to say, I still cull very heavily for common faults like eye color, shank/tarsi color, etc., especially in Silvers, and am still producing faults commonly that I'd rather not share or spread around. I could however, refer you to some sources. We need more Campinists!
Most excellent, I would love to work with you. Our websites goal is to show breeders and Preservationists and even those just looking to further their education in rare breeds how rare and what needs to be done to a particular breed and or variety extra. I will send you a pm as I would like to discuss this matter further. Thanks again

Most excellent, I would love to work with you. Our websites goal is to show breeders and Preservationists and even those just looking to further their education in rare breeds how rare and what needs to be done to a particular breed and or variety extra. I will send you a pm as I would like to discuss this matter further. Thanks again

Awaiting your PM, then.

Well I have the sweetest little Silver Campine Rooster named Peewee! He has the sweetest little crow you will ever hear. He also doesn't have a problem standing up to the older/bigger chickens either. lol But I have to hang close to him when I take him and another hen out in the yard to socialize so as to keep them from getting hurt. I don't think they are quite ready to be alone with the other chickens just yet.
112992B9-68CF-4EBE-9877-E24C203E8A98.jpeg
0615CCFD-4D2A-4647-9A04-E709B9B0AC52.jpeg

Hello, I've hatched some eggs and I think they are campines,but I'm not really sure. Could someone tell me more about it?

Attachments

• IMG_20200512_101423.jpg
    IMG_20200512_101423.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200512_101511.jpg
    IMG_20200512_101511.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200512_101533.jpg
    IMG_20200512_101533.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom