Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
I ordered two Golden Campines from Meyer Hatchery. I was doing a lot of research on chickens, and these ones stood out for me. Mostly because they are so pretty, but also because I read that they are pretty rare, and not many people have them. So I thought, why not? I'm really excited to get them. Sadly I won't be getting them until the first week of May. I have quite a wait yet!

I ordered two Golden Campines from Meyer Hatchery. I was doing a lot of research on chickens, and these ones stood out for me. Mostly because they are so pretty, but also because I read that they are pretty rare, and not many people have them. So I thought, why not? I'm really excited to get them. Sadly I won't be getting them until the first week of May. I have quite a wait yet!
Good luck with them, my campines (at least the goldens) have been my best layers. I get nearly a dozen eggs per day from them.

Deb

Does anyone have the color print by L.Stahmer of a pair of Golden Campines and a pair of Silver Campines. (both on same picture). It might have been done for American Poultry Journal.I do not know the exact date but about 1915? Thanks Dan

I answered my own question today when I stumbled onto it.It was in American Poultry Journal Feb.1913 ,the birds were owned by J.Fred Kennedy of Canada.I still would be interested in this color print.Mine is black and white. It also appeared in the 1913 American Poultry Journal yearbook of 1913. Dan H.

G'day from Australia,
One of my grandkids found this forum so we thought we would join it. I'm just getting over a major heart attack and open heart surgery, so this is great therapy for me.

I have been breeding & exhibiting Campines (& other fowls) since I was a young boy, and for well over 50 years. Over the years I have had many breeds and for the past 15 years I have been actively judging. I have judged all over Australia so I am very involved in poultry in general.

I've been to the USA many times and visited quite a few of your shows, but as I always say, you are never too young to learn, so I can hopefully pick up a few ideas from your forum.

There is a new and active Campine Club here www.campines.org and it is growing very well.

On Sunday 3rd March 2013, here in Australia, I am one of four speakers at a Poultry Workshop called "Breeding the Breeds". I will doing a one hour session on the Campine which will include a 50 page Power Point presentation.
Here is their link http://qldpoultry.com.au/doc/Workshop_Booking_Form.pdf

I reckon I have one of the largest collections of original Campine related books and magazines, in the world, that go back to 1902, however I am always looking to buy/swap/beg for additional publications that I haven't seen

Thanks, Ross

Hello, Ross! Welcome to BYC and the Campine thread. We are so happy you have joined us and that we can help with your "therapy"! Do you raise/show Silvers? I am just getting started in them and would love to pick your brain about them.....

Last edited:
G'day and thanks for the lovely welcome,

yes, I have both Silver and Gold Campines, but my preference is the Silver variety. I just think a Silver Campine flock picking away on green grass is such a beautiful sight.

I fairly green to this type of forum but later I can try to add some pictures of my show winners.

At the Workshop on 3rd March, I will be giving attendees a hand-out which is 8 x A4 (2 x A3 format) pages of some of my thoughts on the Campine. I have promised to give it to the Campine Club to allow people to download it, so it will turn up on their site after that date.

Regards,

Ross

I answered my own question today when I stumbled onto it.It was in American Poultry Journal Feb.1913 ,the birds were owned by J.Fred Kennedy of Canada.I still would be interested in this color print.Mine is black and white. It also appeared in the 1913 American Poultry Journal yearbook of 1913. Dan H.
G'day from Australia, Dan.
I have originals of American Poultry Journal - June 1913 where a Silver Campine Cockerel belong to Frank E. Hering - South Bend, Indiana is on the front cover.

I also have the issue of July 1930 with a pair of Silvers in full colour is on the cover. In the 1930 booklet they don't mention the owner of this pair, bu they do mention Mr. M.R. Jacobus who was one of the first importers of the breed to the USA in 1907.

Can you please possibly scan your Feb 1913 cover and add it in the forum? I don't think I've seen that edition's cover.

Regards,
Ross

how many eggs can you expect to get from two golden campines? i dont have any chickens yet, but tomorrow i am making the coop and then the plan is to get my chicks:). the golden campines seem to catch my eye and i hope to order some soon. id like to let them free range i have a six foot chain fence would they be easily able to fly over that and would they want to if they have a large area to free range in?

Back
Top Bottom