Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
This is my first attempt at adding a picture here, so I hope I've done it correctly.

The picture is one of my Silver Campines Cockerels that won Best of Show - Campine at Poultry 2004 in Canberra ACT Australia.
I was more than pleased he got the award and that day we picked up Reserve as well and many other awards.

The dark photograph doesn't do justice to the lovely barring correctly in his tail, but conformation wise he is of a very high standard.

That show is held every four years and started in 2000 in conjuction with the Sydney Olympic Games. It has been held in 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2012. I have attended all four and judged at the 2012 show.

how many eggs can you expect to get from two golden campines? i dont have any chickens yet, but tomorrow i am making the coop and then the plan is to get my chicks:). the golden campines seem to catch my eye and i hope to order some soon. id like to let them free range i have a six foot chain fence would they be easily able to fly over that and would they want to if they have a large area to free range in?
G'day,
Provided they are healthy, well wormed and happy fowls you can expect one egg a day from a good Campine female. They may take a few days to settle in.
I'm sorry to tell you that a six foot high fence to a Campine is just a mere small step, as they are very agile and active. They are usually quite happy in large area, but they are great explorers and may tend to enjoy the view from the top of your fence.
Good luck with them.

G'day,
Provided they are healthy, well wormed and happy fowls you can expect one egg a day from a good Campine female. They may take a few days to settle in.
I'm sorry to tell you that a six foot high fence to a Campine is just a mere small step, as they are very agile and active. They are usually quite happy in large area, but they are great explorers and may tend to enjoy the view from the top of your fence.
Good luck with them.

thanks your rooster is very pretty

how many eggs can you expect to get from two golden campines? i dont have any chickens yet, but tomorrow i am making the coop and then the plan is to get my chicks:). the golden campines seem to catch my eye and i hope to order some soon. id like to let them free range i have a six foot chain fence would they be easily able to fly over that and would they want to if they have a large area to free range in?

My campines are my best layers. So far my silvers are pretty slow to get started, but my golden pen lays nearly one egg per day, per hen. I get 11-14 eggs per day from them.

They may stay in just fine if all their needs are met, but they would be capable of flying out.

The picture is one of my Silver Campines Cockerels that won Best of Show - Campine at Poultry 2004 in Canberra ACT Australia.

Handsome bird Ross. I know that shows work differently in different countries. Is Best in Show - Campine the equivalent to our Best of Breed here in the US? Or was it a specialty show just for campine? That would be amazing if we could pull that kind of entry in campines here. There is usually only myself and maybe one other exhibitor. I have to content myself with getting them out there to generate interest amongst the other people. It helps that my birds have hit Champion Row a few times, it is increasing the interest for people to show them as well.

I can't tell from the photo, does your bird have a bit of white on the face? I couldn't tell if that was actually there, or just appear that way in the photo. Here in the US, that is a DQ on a cockerel. I know all standards vary a bit.

Anyway, beautiful bird. I look forward to reading through your presentation.

Deb

Quote:
G'day Deb,

He was Best in Show within the Campine section of that show. The Champion was decided from the Silvers and Golds. I think from memory that there were about 32 assorted Campines in various Cock, Hen, Cockerel and Pullet classes in both colours that day.

The biggest show so far that I am aware of for a long time for Campine numbers was 78 (number to be verified) which was also held at Canberra Royal Show in 2010. I didn't go to that show as it's a two day drive to get there, hence why we only go to the Poultry Series every four years. I would have loved to have gone, but I've been not in such good health over the last few years, so I don't do those big long drives anymore.

Campines here are shown in Soft Feather Light sections. In most shows the procedure is if they win that their section as Champion, they go on to be considered for Champion Light Soft Feather against fowls such as Leghorns, Minorcas, Hamburghs, Silkies, etc. If they win that they then challenge the Soft Feather Heavy sections such as Australorps, Langshans, Sussex, Rhode Island, Plymouth Rocks, etc. If they win that, they go on to challenge the Hard Feather sections ( and in some cases Waterfowl) for Bird of Show. It is rare that a Campine will ever get that far, as the Judges really don't understand them all that well, which is understandable, as they don't see too many of them.

It's great to see someone who knows the Standards. The Standards we follow are very similar to those of Great Britain. You must have had a very close look at that Cockerel of mine, but no, he has no white in his face. Like the USA that is a serious fault in Campines.

When I judge Campines I am often asked to talk to the exhibitors after the judging to help them to interpret the Standards and my judging placements.

With respect to that 8 x A4 presentation, I see no reason why I couldn't place it in this forum, provided that they accept pdf files. Perhaps you could advise me? I wouldn't post it until after my presentation on 3rd March. The Power Point section is just way too big to add.

Kind regards,

Ross

Quote:
Your shows work very similar to ours. Silver and Golden are treated as a variety and Best of Breed is chosen from there. The best campine would then go on to compete for Champion Continental (campine, lakenvelder, marans, polish, etc). The winner there would go up onto champion row (continental, american, english, etc) where Best large fowl, best bantam, waterfowl would be chosen and ultimately the champion of the show.

The biggest campine entry I've shown with was 11 (I think), I had one bird but he did win BB and went on to take Ch continental over around 50 birds. He did get a look for BIS, but his condition was a bit off that day, his tail was a little rough. Not the best picture of him, he doesn't have his tail fully spread.

They are an amazing bird and always attract attention. At my last show, I overheard the judge telling his clerk that my campines were the best he had seen in years
big_smile.png
Needless to say, I was quite pleased.

Deb

I am looking for a really nice Silver Campine breeding male for sale. Can be your cull but has to be better than mine which is not hard as we are only on second generation here. Please send pics and prices if you have a Rooster less than a year old to 1.5 years max.

Your shows work very similar to ours. Silver and Golden are treated as a variety and Best of Breed is chosen from there. The best campine would then go on to compete for Champion Continental (campine, lakenvelder, marans, polish, etc). The winner there would go up onto champion row (continental, american, english, etc) where Best large fowl, best bantam, waterfowl would be chosen and ultimately the champion of the show.

The biggest campine entry I've shown with was 11 (I think), I had one bird but he did win BB and went on to take Ch continental over around 50 birds. He did get a look for BIS, but his condition was a bit off that day, his tail was a little rough. Not the best picture of him, he doesn't have his tail fully spread.

They are an amazing bird and always attract attention. At my last show, I overheard the judge telling his clerk that my campines were the best he had seen in years
big_smile.png
Needless to say, I was quite pleased.

Deb
He's gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom