Can a Coyote/Coydog jump over a 5ft hi fence?

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
I personally think NOT.

A white tailed deer could if it put some effort into it. But coyotes just aren't that big, or that agile to my knowledge.

I admit that maybe a desperate one might attempt it--or a rabid one.

I also admit that maybe one could try to climb over. But jump successfully a 5 foot high fence? I say "It cannot be done"

My pen is about to be covered with 2" mesh top rite netting anyway, but I wanted some of your thoughts........

Thank you friends!!

I would love to see the one that could, I personally think that one would fail miserably trying. I do think that a hungry one will try a few times, but, it ain' happenin

I have a chocolate lab that can verticle leap 5 feet. I know that because he looks me right in the eye when he does the happy dance when I come home. However, it has not occurred to him that he could use this talent to get over the fence.

I also have seen dogs that will just slip their paws into the openings of a chain link fence and just climb right up and out.

IMHO a determined coyote (or other canine) could clear a 5 ft fence if it wanted to. My 12" tall JRT can jump 5 ft straight up from a flat-footed standstill and my 50 lb Siberian Husky can do the same with a little bit of a running start.

A coyote MIGHT be able to hit 5 feet from a run, but not likely in my opinion.

BTW, a deer can jump over a much higher fence than 5 feet.

I dont know about jumping straight over the fence, but they CAN "climb" the fence. I have seen it done before at my grandmas house. They can do it even better if they have a corner to wedge themselves into and push thier back against on side and use thier paws on the other, they just shimmy right up the fence.

If it had a running start it sure could. You have to think about the anatomy of a coyote. It's hind legs are more like rabbits, leaving them the ability to leap over high fences. As taken from Wikipedia:
During pursuit, a coyote may reach speeds up to 43 mph (69 km/h),[13] and can jump over 4 meters (13⅛ feet).

Oh yeah! A coyote can jump much higher than 5 feet!
wink.png

I may be wrong, it's happened in the past. But, a vertical leap is much different than trying to clear an obstacle like a fence.

I do think that it would be possible though as someone else posted, that a hungry coyote after failing to jump a fence to get to prey, he might possibly climb the thing.

I have seen dogs climb fences before, and they are rather good at it. And if your hungry, I bet it would be possible.

And I have to still stand with my original answer though, I don't think he could jump and clear a 5' fence, unless he is at a full sprint, and the fence is on the down hill side of a hill, then maybe

Back
Top Bottom