can americaunas or aruacaunas lay brown eggs?

uggandslug

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 9, 2011
We don't know what breed this chicken is, but she does have a muff and beard. Our chickens started laying in late 2009 but we've never had a blue/green egg. Is is possible this chicken lays brown?

As a new member the site would not allow me to post a photo. The chicken is buff (orange like our Buff Orpingtons) mixed with gray with a black head and black muff and beard.

you have a EE and yes they can lay brown eggs
wink.png

ee means a mixed Ameracauna. (Easter Egger) . Some will lay pinkish brown, some green and some bluish.
does it have a straight comb or pea comb? Welcome to ByC. Gloria Jean

Easter Egger does not mean a mixed Ameraucana. Most EE's out there are actually, if at all related, they are related to the Ameraucana some 50+ years ago.
wink.png

But, yes, Easter Eggers on occasion will lay brown eggs. Otherwise, true Araucanas should ONLY lay blue eggs, and true Ameraucanas should also ONLY lay blue eggs, though a slight green tint is permitted in some colors like Buff, because they're still a work in progress.

thank you for your replies and I apologize for the misspellings (how embarrassing but thank you for not pointing them out)!

She has a pea comb - I'm hoping the photos will load this time, I think she's really beautiful. Darn! I have to limit the images to 0.

Back
Top Bottom