• Vulture (Ameracuna/Easter Egger)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rosemary (Buff Orpington)

• Thyme (Buff Orpington)

• Beyonce (Ameracuana/Easter Egger)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Chicken Nugget (number 1) (Barred Rock)

• Roxi (Sex Link)

• Chicken Nugget (number 2) (Barred Rock)

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Big Bird (Ameracuana/Easter Egger)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • None of the above/Not Sure

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
No, 1 rooster for your other 7 hens is plenty.
smile.png

Thank you!!

I think the number one BR is a pullet judging by her color. The second BR may be a cockerel, but I'm with Sourland - I don't see any other signs that it's a cockerel, other than it's lighter color, and I'm pretty sure your others are all pullets.

Well, I'm no expert, but I've had chickens for 3 years now, and I've had several EE of both sexes, so the outline of a pullet if pretty easy to see. The BR chicks are still a bit young, but the roosters will be lighter than the hens, so that is what I based my #2 BR being a rooster on, although it looks like a pullet to me :). At this age, your roos would be growing out some saddle feathers and longer tail feathers than what I see on any of these youngsters.

Well, I'm no expert, but I've had chickens for 3 years now, and I've had several EE of both sexes, so the outline of a pullet if pretty easy to see. The BR chicks are still a bit young, but the roosters will be lighter than the hens, so that is what I based my #2 BR being a rooster on, although it looks like a pullet to me :). At this age, your roos would be growing out some saddle feathers and longer tail feathers than what I see on any of these youngsters.
Even though it is usually true hatchery Barred Rocks Pullets tend to be light or dark (I learned that lesson from @speckledhen
smile.png
). But I definitely agree with you.

Last edited:
They all look like girls to me at this point. one of your BRs seems light but no comb to speak of and by that age, a cockerel would have a honking big comb and shiny pointy saddle feathers would be starting to show themselves on the back area. My 7 week old BR males have much bigger combs than that one. I've had lighter and darker BR pullets, though the lighter ones are the exception to the rule.

These were both pullets, my first BRs from hatchery stock. I never had another BR hen as light as Lexie was, her sons were no lighter than she was and whoever got daughters from her, they were all properly dark as a normal BR pullet would be. Everyone on BYC was saying she was male all the way up until she was about 12 weeks old, but no comb development.

7 week old BR cockerel

Last edited:
They all look like girls to me at this point. one of your BRs seems light but no comb to speak of and by that age, a cockerel would have a honking big comb and shiny pointy saddle feathers would be starting to show themselves on the back area. My 7 week old BR males have much bigger combs than that one. I've had lighter and darker BR pullets, though the lighter ones are the exception to the rule.

These were both pullets, my first BRs from hatchery stock. I never had another BR hen as light as Lexie was, her sons were no lighter than she was and whoever got daughters from her, they were all properly dark as a normal BR pullet would be. Everyone on BYC was saying she was male all the way up until she was about 12 weeks old, but no comb development.

7 week old BR cockerel

Oh wow. Yours have much bigger combs than mine do. I guess time will tell...hmm.... Thanks for posting!!

Coleman

7 week old BR cockerel

So I went through and was re-reading everyone's comments about our possible cockerel and I think I discovered something. Everyone kept saying the lighter color possibly indicates chicken nugget #2 is a male; however, I don't think the picture of chicken nugget #1 does it justice. I believe the picture makes the first one appear darker than the second but in actuality they are almost identical in every way. The only differences we can see are the orangeish face and legs vs a darker face and legs. But if they are not showing off much of a comb at 10 weeks, I'm starting to think all our "ladies" are in fact all ladies... What do you think?

Coleman

Back
Top Bottom