Can anyone tell me what breed?

we5farmers

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2017
Brunswick Georgia
Good evening! I got eggs from a friend since I had no Roos at the time but I had a broody hen. She swears her Roos are either Barred Rock or Dominique and her Hen was a EE. One of the chicks I got turned out to be a Roo but he looks Nothing like his parents. Can someone help me out? The Roo with all the orange is the Roo I got the other pics are of hers. How in the world did I get such a colorful Roo from hers??
8DE1FAF1-3CAD-4635-A322-919B1E894379.jpeg
E3ACC56A-B27E-4345-B917-1BE5A74C31A5.png
7BBAA592-B86E-436F-B580-F84F6BD707B4.png
05C74CDE-3E90-4A08-B948-561EF3C1CF25.png

One more question if you don’t mind. If I breed him with an EE hen am I likely to get EE’s? I unfortunately had to cull my EE due to a bad prolapse/hernia but I had 3 eggs from her. I’ve put them in the incubator as I don’t have any broodies at the moment. I miss my EE girl so I’m hoping to get some EE hens out of the eggs.

Neither rooster is a Dominique. The darker appears to he a black sex link rooster (explaining a male with only one copy of the barring genes, pure bred males of barred varieties have two copies). A mixed breed rooster (black sex link) brings some genetic mix to the table.
The hen.....what color eggs did you get and hatch? EE can have a wide range of appearance, but this hen has none of the common characteristics and may not be an ee. Even if it is an ee, the non standardized nature of ee mean you have another "mixed bag" ofgenetics coming into the chicks produced.
Your cockerel is a barnyard mix and his appearance reflects that. Whether he can produce colorful layers you want depend on the genetics he carries and what the hen carried and how they mix in each chick.

Neither rooster is a Dominique. The darker appears to he a black sex link rooster (explaining a male with only one copy of the barring genes, pure bred males of barred varieties have two copies). A mixed breed rooster (black sex link) brings some genetic mix to the table.
The hen.....what color eggs did you get and hatch? EE can have a wide range of appearance, but this hen has none of the common characteristics and may not be an ee. Even if it is an ee, the non standardized nature of ee mean you have another "mixed bag" ofgenetics coming into the chicks produced.
Your cockerel is a barnyard mix and his appearance reflects that. Whether he can produce colorful layers you want depend on the genetics he carries and what the hen carried and how they mix in each chick.
The egg that my Roo came out of was a blue/green egg so I’m pretty sure she was an EE unless there are other chickens that lay that color egg. I was pretty sure that EE’s were a mixed chicken but wasn’t sure. My EE hen I bred him with also laid Blue green eggs so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that any females I get from her eggs will also be EE. I miss my Annie as she was a sweetheart.

Attachments

• A6DE5CE8-6DC7-490C-87DA-903E03B119C4.jpeg
    A6DE5CE8-6DC7-490C-87DA-903E03B119C4.jpeg
    534.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom