Can chicken keeping improve your health?

Pics

Tesumph

Knotenolk
8 Years
Jul 10, 2015
First of all, this might be in the wrong forum. Sorry.

Hello all! Been a very long time since I started a new topic and I have a tendency to ramble, so bear with me. This is something very near and dear to my heart and I really hope I get some insight and opinions.
To cut to the chase: I’m looking for fellow BYC member’s experiences of chicken keeping improving your health. If you have actual licensed therapy birds or experience with that, awesome! But I expect a lot more anecdotal experiences with backyard flocks.

To try and explain my muddy thought process, I’ll just share some back story. I’m a newly married college student who is dead set on getting my veterinary degree if it kills me (and it might). I was recently diagnosed (possibly misdiagnosed) with epilepsy, and have an ugly list of other health problems that I’m working through, including a possible heart problem, as well as a lot of trouble with fatigue.
I lost my flock during Harvey last year and haven’t had birds since. Since I just got married, my dogs stayed at my parents house, and my beloved ferret died very recently. The house is way too quiet but we’ve been waiting on more animals because we were planning on moving and being very busy.. however, I recently (read: 30 minutes ago) decided with my husband that we are not moving closer to university this summer like we intended, because of my health.
Not gonna lie, this sucks. I can’t drive, work, or go to classes.. ok, now I’m just venting, but hey. I’m upset and angry and all I can think of is.. dang, I deserve some chickens.

Back to the point. So I’ve been wondering, for my own knowledge and curiosity, as well as a means to convince my husband, if chicken keeping can improve health. I kind of already know the answer is yes but I want to hear it from this wonderful community. I’ve researched the use of animals in professional therapy, read studies on how petting dogs lowers stress levels, and know that physical exercise improves mental health. My main concern is if I can actually DO this and get something out of it (I don’t particularly like eggs haha), or if I’ll just get burned out and be stuck with a farm chore that I may or may not be able to upkeep in Texas heat.

So, if you are or have been in the same boat as me, PLEASE share how you managed it. I’m open to literally anything, from hardy chicken breeds with healthy track records, to easy to maintain coop designs.
But I’m especially interested in how your flock has benefitted you, whether it be lowering blood sugar or helping anxiety or curing cancer (maybe not), I don’t know! Educate me! Maybe if I can make it another year in college, I’ll write my thesis on this and use some testimonials. ;) hah!

Read this for insight. I thought it was a good topic. Then read the whole thread. A couple people touch on what you are asking.

What part of town are you on? I'd say come on over and do chicken zen. Cheers!

I am up north and one of many reasons I got them was so I would get off my butt and go outside in the winter... Great motivation to get up at dawn and take care of them. I am always checking them so makes it easy to get 10-15K steps a day in. I get up off the computer every hour to watch chicken tv.. which is usually restful.

Read this for insight. I thought it was a good topic. Then read the whole thread. A couple people touch on what you are asking.

What part of town are you on? I'd say come on over and do chicken zen. Cheers!
What a wonderful thread, exactly what I searched for on here but couldn’t find. Haven’t finished but very nice insight. Thank you!

I’m in magnolia, northwest Houston. I’ve actually been thinking if I can manage to get chooks again then I’m definitely asking the Houston folk I’ve met on here for buying advice first!

I am up north and one of many reasons I got them was so I would get off my butt and go outside in the winter... Great motivation to get up at dawn and take care of them. I am always checking them so makes it easy to get 10-15K steps a day in. I get up off the computer every hour to watch chicken tv.. which is usually restful.
Excellent reason! Funny, my chickens used to get me outside the nice AC into the hot sticky heat.

Possibly,read a thread about chickens and humans as far as this subject goes.Remember reading about them making people just be themselves ,as you can obviously see a chicken could careless what absolutely anything,anyone thinks about them,because what’s abnormal to us is COMPLETELY, normal to them,not sure if you see the idea or not but is basically saying people should take from chickens and stop worrying too much about what another person thinks,so it could help with anxiety.

My favs are actual licensed therapy birds, not for myself but for pallative care patients to help with depression and anxiety. I'd say they're on par with the best meds out there. Patients who didn't make a habit of leaving their rooms showed up early for chicken time. I was eventually given the greenlight to start a small bantam flock in the courtyard of the facility so touch therapy would be there 24/7 and not just on my scheduled days. I don't have charts or graphs but seeing people at the end smiling just due to holding or even just watching the birds says it is very sucessful.:)

Back
Top Bottom