Can chicken keeping improve your health?

I am getting Ideal Hatchery Birds (pretty close to you) and am hand feeding treats. The new EEs are slowly getting used to me. They will run away then mill around. When the meal worms are present, all 6 are jumping in my hand. Taming is a slow process. Socialization and patience. You can do it. And have fun at the same time. Chickens appear to be very food motivated.
:gig

I spent a LOT of time with my last flock. There was a clear personality difference between the breeds I had. Most of them would eat from my hand, squat for me, would complain about being picked up but tolerate it, etc. The EE and our one Minorca (was supposed to be a buff Orpington) were definitely insane. My mom and I hated them, and they stressed out the flock when they went crazy. They would fly into the walls/wire if I looked their direction and would literally act like they were going to die if I moved toward them. I’m not expecting my birds to act like dogs (although some did) but that sort of ridiculous behavior isn’t wanted..
The Wyandottes weren’t TOO bad, but when I saw posts on here of people raving about their super friendly Wyandottes and EE’s I was very surprised.
My all time two favorite birds was a blue Cochin and a barred rock. The Cochin was from my first flock and would sit on my shoulder and walk around the property with me. At night I’d hold her up to the lights and she’d eat all the June bugs. Bluey was the reason I fell in love with chickens.
The barred rock, Nub Nub, somehow snapped half her beak off in a freak accident. After nursing her back to health, she just had a bond to me and liked to follow me around like I was her knight in shining armor, haha. She still lives with my MIL and I visit her regularly. She still squats for me and let’s me give her kisses. :love

I’m pretty sure mine were from ideal poultry. My dad and I took a road trip and drove to this lady’s house who ordered them, raised them, and then resold them? I thought it was normal at the time but thinking back I’ve never really heard of that and I’m not sure why we didn’t order them ourselves lol.

I really wanted to answer this question, but if I do I will be late for my chicken yoga class and miss my hot chicken massage... They really balance my yin and yang... And, I'm sure unloading all those heavy feed sacks day after day is helping prevent osteoporosis (at least I hope so). Chicken TV is relaxing in the same way that fish tanks are, so far I haven't heard of any "therapy chickens" in the town I live in, though there are a fair amount of dogs.

I really wanted to answer this question, but if I do I will be late for my chicken yoga class and miss my hot chicken massage... They really balance my yin and yang... And, I'm sure unloading all those heavy feed sacks day after day is helping prevent osteoporosis (at least I hope so). Chicken TV is relaxing in the same way that fish tanks are, so far I haven't heard of any "therapy chickens" in the town I live in, though there are a fair amount of dogs.
:gigIf absolutely nothing else, I can tell my husband the clear stress release and exercise benefits of having them. They are yoga masters AND personal trainers.

First of all, this might be in the wrong forum. Sorry.

Hello all! Been a very long time since I started a new topic and I have a tendency to ramble, so bear with me. This is something very near and dear to my heart and I really hope I get some insight and opinions.
To cut to the chase: I’m looking for fellow BYC member’s experiences of chicken keeping improving your health. If you have actual licensed therapy birds or experience with that, awesome! But I expect a lot more anecdotal experiences with backyard flocks.

To try and explain my muddy thought process, I’ll just share some back story. I’m a newly married college student who is dead set on getting my veterinary degree if it kills me (and it might). I was recently diagnosed (possibly misdiagnosed) with epilepsy, and have an ugly list of other health problems that I’m working through, including a possible heart problem, as well as a lot of trouble with fatigue.
I lost my flock during Harvey last year and haven’t had birds since. Since I just got married, my dogs stayed at my parents house, and my beloved ferret died very recently. The house is way too quiet but we’ve been waiting on more animals because we were planning on moving and being very busy.. however, I recently (read: 30 minutes ago) decided with my husband that we are not moving closer to university this summer like we intended, because of my health.
Not gonna lie, this sucks. I can’t drive, work, or go to classes.. ok, now I’m just venting, but hey. I’m upset and angry and all I can think of is.. dang, I deserve some chickens.

Back to the point. So I’ve been wondering, for my own knowledge and curiosity, as well as a means to convince my husband, if chicken keeping can improve health. I kind of already know the answer is yes but I want to hear it from this wonderful community. I’ve researched the use of animals in professional therapy, read studies on how petting dogs lowers stress levels, and know that physical exercise improves mental health. My main concern is if I can actually DO this and get something out of it (I don’t particularly like eggs haha), or if I’ll just get burned out and be stuck with a farm chore that I may or may not be able to upkeep in Texas heat.

So, if you are or have been in the same boat as me, PLEASE share how you managed it. I’m open to literally anything, from hardy chicken breeds with healthy track records, to easy to maintain coop designs.
But I’m especially interested in how your flock has benefitted you, whether it be lowering blood sugar or helping anxiety or curing cancer (maybe not), I don’t know! Educate me! Maybe if I can make it another year in college, I’ll write my thesis on this and use some testimonials. ;) hah!
I definitely think owning chickens can improve health! I am planning to give my mom 2 or 3 of my beloved flock after her heart valve replacement surgery, she is 85 so hopefully all will go well:) It makes her so happy to watch my chickens and I think she will enjoy them digging around with her because that was always her favorite thing, gardening! I will build her a little coop and run, they can keep her company during the day when no ones around and I have told her that I will clean up after them and check on their food and water. I believe it will be great for her and really make her happy!

I definitely think owning chickens can improve health! I am planning to give my mom 2 or 3 of my beloved flock after her heart valve replacement surgery, she is 85 so hopefully all will go well:) It makes her so happy to watch my chickens and I think she will enjoy them digging around with her because that was always her favorite thing, gardening! I will build her a little coop and run, they can keep her company during the day when no ones around and I have told her that I will clean up after them and check on their food and water. I believe it will be great for her and really make her happy!
That is so sweet of you. My grandmother had to give up the dog she loved because it knocked her down and she couldn’t manage by herself. This is a wonderful alternative.

Just hearing chickens a relaxer,I wanna just sleep with them.
Just hearing chickens a relaxer,I wanna just sleep with them.
I can relate! I kept mine at night right outside my bedroom sliding door at night in a crib with a 2x4 across, for wayyyy tooo long! They would make really cute peeping sounds and watch TV with me:)

Back
Top Bottom