Can ducks eat garlic?

I found this on this site while doing more research today. I'm not advocating or denying this practice, but I thought it should be referenced in this thread to determining the viability of using garlic/onion in duck diets.

"To prevent your ducks from getting worms add a small amount Condy's crystals in the duck's drinking water once a week. The crystals line the gut of the duck preventing any parasites from sticking to it. Another excellent additive is a capful or two of cider vinegar. However, if you are adding cider vinegar to the water, make sure that the water is in a plastic container, and not a metal one, as the vinegar will cause the metal container to leach. A small amount of garlic given to your ducks from time to time is also a preventative against worms and parasites."

Read more @
http://www.countryfarm-lifestyles.com/raising-ducks.html

Yes garlic water for my ducky when ever he has a fever !!! Helps remove the fever!

No! No garlic! It contains compounds that break down into substances that will actually rupture red blood cells in birds. That's probably why the fever goes down when you give it to yours Manal; their blood is thinning out because of it. It's not a good thing to give to birds at all. Small doses aren't going to kill them, but just be aware that onions and garlic are toxic.

I'm no doctor but isn't it the opposite?
Blood clotting = higher blood pressure and stress on heart
Blood thinning = not enough clot resulting in wounds that don't heal and reduces hemoglobin count

We need a Veterinarians formal opinion on this garlic/onion issue.

Blood thinning = not enough clot resulting in wounds that don't heal and reduces hemoglobin count

I mentioned nothing whatsoever about blood pressure, only ruptured red blood cells. Blood thinning will lower temperature because as it moves more freely through the extremities, it will cool the body. Same reason you're not supposed to drink alcohol when you're frostbitten. The immediate sensation is warmth as your blood starts rushing through you, but ultimately it cools the body down more because of it.

The point is, it's still toxic and just not a good idea to give to your ducks.

A Dusky-headed conure (Aratinga weddelli) [also known as Weddell’s conure] with a history of being force fed a large amount of garlic (Allium sativum) was presented because of anorexia and lethargy. The conure died one hour after supportive care was administered. At necropsy, a half clove of garlic and several large pieces of chicken meat were present in the crop. Histopathologic findings of hemoglobinuric nephrosis and hepatosplenic erythrophagocytosis strongly suggested an acute hemolytic event . [Meaning the microscopic examination of the bird’s tissues and body fluids revealed the abnormal presence of hemoglobin, that had been separated from the red blood cells, along with protein in the urine. Hemoglobin is the protein-iron compound in blood that carries oxygen from the lungs to the cells and carbon dioxide away from he cells to the lungs for exhalation. Additionally, the body’s macrophages and phagocytes had attacked and consumed red blood cells adversely affected the liver and spleen. These findings indicate that hemolysis, the destruction of red blood cells, had occurred.] Frozen kidney and liver samples were negative for polyomavirus DNA, and tissue lead and zinc levels were normal. The clinical presentation and postmortem findings in this conure are similar to those in mammals with onion and garlic (Allium species) toxicosis.(4) The Dusky-headed conure weighs approximately 95 gms. This is just slightly larger than my Green-cheek conure, Elvis, who weighs 80 gms.

Source:
http://bestbirdfoodever.com/home/wp...ng-parrots-never-feed-garlic-onions-or-leeks/

and:

Quote:

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom