Can I scare hawks away?

I'm new to this chicken thing (as of May) and the hawks have come twice now in the last week. Not successful, but still frightening. My question is this - can I shoot the hawks? I've been looking at slingshots. Maybe some kind of scatter shot. It's illegal to kill them, right? But if I just hurt them will they go away and not come back? I want to hurt them and protect my babies, send a clear message. Maybe break their kneecaps, if you know what I mean. Not liking hawks right now.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Kneecaps for sure!

I have 3 Rhodebar's I just had a close call YESTERDAY... If it weren't for a quick jump by the Hen on top the pecking order she would have been done for! It lasted just a few seconds but very traumatizing for them!... How do I know all this happened?.... I was 15 ft away from them when it happened! I was under a tree cutting some wire for the coop, where it couldn't see me, and saw it swoop down out the corner of my eye... Had I not been there I would have one less bird! As soon as I stood up and yelled out it flew away. Thankfully none were physically injured! Now I feel like I'm being watched by this hawk! A few weeks ago my son saved a pigeon from the same hawk by trowing a lemon at it. They are very smart and study before they attack. A secure enclosure is mandatory!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Kneecaps for sure!

I have 3 Rhodebar's I just had a close call YESTERDAY... If it weren't for a quick jump by the Hen on top the pecking order she would have been done for! It lasted just a few seconds but very traumatizing for them!... How do I know all this happened?.... I was 15 ft away from them when it happened! I was under a tree cutting some wire for the coop, where it couldn't see me, and saw it swoop down out the corner of my eye... Had I not been there I would have one less bird! As soon as I stood up and yelled out it flew away. Thankfully none were physically injured! Now I feel like I'm being watched by this hawk! A few weeks ago my son saved a pigeon from the same hawk by trowing a lemon at it. They are very smart and study before they attack. A secure enclosure is mandatory!
It is also illegal to harass a hawk so if your friendly neighborhood USG&F agent is a little behind on arrests this month he can pinch you for saying "Boo" to a hawk.

Last edited:
Sooooo we are supposed to just let them eat our pets, livestock, and small children I guess lol
lau.gif

Yea, or SSS

Have hawks that nest in a big tree every spring not far from the coop. It's the juvies that are the boldest and even had one try to crash through a plexiglass insert in the chicken run door. Cracked the plexiglass, but the wire behind it held it in place. There is also a murder of crows here, and it seems to me the young hawks almost seem to be teasing them as the hawk flies in and out between the trees with the crows screaming after him. The hawk will then just sit high up in a tree and wait for the next fun.

Back
Top Bottom