Can we add a stray duckling?

Thanks for checking in! He's tripled his weight in the last 11 days and is now nearly normally-sized for his age. He has not had any additional seizures since that night when he had three. We are keeping him separate from the older two, still, but we let them out together. At first the older two were harassing him a bit, but yesterday they finally decided to start tolerating him and I've seen them sitting together which seems promising!

He's still imprinted onto humans, but he stops crying when the other ducks are around, which is reassuring. The only strange thing is he doesn't like to swim! If I put him in the water he just floats and then tries to get out. Very different from my other two who were ducking and diving at a few days old.

When do you think I can start keeping them together? The others are 5.5 weeks old and one is very big and getting his feathers and his quacks in already. The other is still relatively small and only has a few feathers.

Thanks for checking in! He's tripled his weight in the last 11 days and is now nearly normally-sized for his age. He has not had any additional seizures since that night when he had three. We are keeping him separate from the older two, still, but we let them out together. At first the older two were harassing him a bit, but yesterday they finally decided to start tolerating him and I've seen them sitting together which seems promising!

He's still imprinted onto humans, but he stops crying when the other ducks are around, which is reassuring. The only strange thing is he doesn't like to swim! If I put him in the water he just floats and then tries to get out. Very different from my other two who were ducking and diving at a few days old.

When do you think I can start keeping them together? The others are 5.5 weeks old and one is very big and getting his feathers and his quacks in already. The other is still relatively small and only has a few feathers.
What a great update sounds like he has caught up and doing great. It's strange that some ducks don't seem to take to water like others but hopefully that will change as he gets older. and is with the other 2 all the time. As far as putting him with them full time I'd start slowly like you are especially since he still doesn't have all his feathers. Give them supervised time together and watch how it goes. I think you'll know when the time is right. Since you are there and can see how they are interacting that will be your decision. Sounds like your doing a great job with them, please post some pics when you can and thanks for the update.

Thanks! I haven't been taking as many photos because the big ones are going through their awkward teenage phase. I'll get some photos tomorrow and let you guess at the breed. The one that was light brown has turned a very dark brown and has a white spot on his chest and one just above his bill. The black one is still black, but her feathers are coming in black with light brown tips. I think she's going to be beautiful.

We are thinking of getting a goose for the yard. We are worried about the neighbours stealing our ducks! Do you think it would be okay to get a single goose and keep it with the ducks, or will we need to get two?

lina500, we occasionally have new duck people asking for pictures of that stage - they get worried something is wrong with their ducks. Might be helpful to have a few for when others need them for reference. Also helps when people rescue youngsters, trying to guess their age based on their feathering. Just a thought.

Okay :)

Here they are at 4.5 weeks old (the little one is about 2.5 weeks)

And 5 weeks (little one is 3 weeks)

Any breed and gender thoughts? I am assuming they are all crossbreeds because they were meant to be eaten as steamed eggs, so I can't imagine they keep the bloodlines pure.

Thanks! I haven't been taking as many photos because the big ones are going through their awkward teenage phase. I'll get some photos tomorrow and let you guess at the breed. The one that was light brown has turned a very dark brown and has a white spot on his chest and one just above his bill. The black one is still black, but her feathers are coming in black with light brown tips. I think she's going to be beautiful.

We are thinking of getting a goose for the yard. We are worried about the neighbours stealing our ducks! Do you think it would be okay to get a single goose and keep it with the ducks, or will we need to get two?
Geese are wonderful and most people are afraid of them so it would most likely keep anyone out of the yard. But geese can also be hateful to ducks so you maybe inviting trouble unless you have enough acreage to give them plenty of space. Just yesterday someone posted about their goose ripping the skin off their duck, and I have 2 geese mated pair and oh boy right now they are not good to be around, the chickens and ducks have enough room to stay out of their way because if they get close they will grab hold. It's mating season here for geese and makes them bad tempered a very natural part of their personality during this time of year. So really thinking about adding geese should be considered. Looks like the Blk is Cayuga if not pure then pretty close. not sure on the other maybe still Khaki Campbell or mixed with them, and the littlest is up in the air for me yet. they sure are pretty and my goodness have they grown.
Oh and can you post signs stating your ducks are pets and not to be eaten. in the language they will understand? Would that help? Do you keep them locked up when your not home or at night/ that may deter anyone from taking them too.

We have a funny sign up that says the equivalent of "beware of the ducks, they are mean!" posted outside. Everyone thinks it's funny. We shut them up when we aren't home.

Hmm...not sure what to think about the goose. We have a large enough space, but I wouldn't want the ducks to get hurt! Maybe 2 would be better so they have each other?

Also, the bigger one that is turning dark brown is about twice the size of the black one, so we assumed he was a boy. He's now making quacking sounds that make me think he's just a very big girl!

We have a funny sign up that says the equivalent of "beware of the ducks, they are mean!" posted outside. Everyone thinks it's funny. We shut them up when we aren't home.

Hmm...not sure what to think about the goose. We have a large enough space, but I wouldn't want the ducks to get hurt! Maybe 2 would be better so they have each other?

Also, the bigger one that is turning dark brown is about twice the size of the black one, so we assumed he was a boy. He's now making quacking sounds that make me think he's just a very big girl!
It will be interesting to see how they turn out. If you decide to get geese I'd go with 2 females that why you don't have to deal with mating season that's when they turn into the gruesome twosome as I call mine.

Well, that was quick. Our friend called us up today and said "I got you a present!" Turns out it was two baby geese. He already had them so we couldn't say no. Hopefully this works out. We do have a very big yard and so far the ducks are only ranging over a few square meters.

And here's our little duck going on the offence and trying to attack one of them (it was a pathetic attempt)

Well, that was quick. Our friend called us up today and said "I got you a present!" Turns out it was two baby geese. He already had them so we couldn't say no. Hopefully this works out. We do have a very big yard and so far the ducks are only ranging over a few square meters.

And here's our little duck going on the offence and trying to attack one of them (it was a pathetic attempt)

How adorable and of course had to show them who's the boss. I hope it all works out because they are the cutest little things. Must be nice to be able to find gosling so easily, it took me forever to find a mate for my gander. Are they lil Chinese goslings?

Back
Top Bottom