Can we add a stray duckling?

How adorable and of course had to show them who's the boss. I hope it all works out because they are the cutest little things. Must be nice to be able to find gosling so easily, it took me forever to find a mate for my gander. Are they lil Chinese goslings?

I assume they must be. I've done a search for geese in Cambodia and looked at the photos and I think the ones around here are Chinese geese. Any other possibilities?

Last edited:
Can I just say that I saw goslings for the first time a few weeks ago at the feed store. I thought "what the heck are they doing selling emus?! Wait... those are webbed feet... are these... geese?!" Haha, now I just think they are the cutest little things. I always thought ducklings looked very dinosaur-like, but goslings even more so. I'm enamored, might have to add geese to my flock, too
wink.png

P.S. I looked up baby emus, and they look nothing like goslings. Goes to show how well-versed I am in birds.

Last edited:
We finally built a duck house yesterday and I've got the big ducks in there at night now. I am afraid of putting this little guy in with them. They are all hanging out together all day, but he's definitely at the bottom of the pecking order. he's so much smaller than them I am not sure if it's okay to put him in with them.

Also, how can I get the older ones into the house on their own? Or do I need to catch them every night and put them in?

We finally built a duck house yesterday and I've got the big ducks in there at night now. I am afraid of putting this little guy in with them. They are all hanging out together all day, but he's definitely at the bottom of the pecking order. he's so much smaller than them I am not sure if it's okay to put him in with them.

Also, how can I get the older ones into the house on their own? Or do I need to catch them every night and put them in?
I wouldn't put small fry in there yet you are wise to think that way, if one or both decided to pick he wouldn't have a way of escape like when their all together outside. Have you tried bribing with a tasty treat they like? also ducks herd really well and only having the 2 right now it should be pretty easy to do. I walk behind slowly with a long bamboo pole have even just opened my arms wide too and walk them where I want them to go, once they get the hang of it it becomes easier. But if you try using a treat once you get them inside they look forward to that of an evening too. Mine love dried mealworms and they only get them as reward for doing something I ask like going in when I whistle. Good for you getting them a proper house.

Thanks, I will try herding them with a stick. They liked dried fish as a treat so I will try that. Since my last post one of the goslings has wised up and is attacking the little duckling back. I feel sorry for this little guy, he's getting grief from all sides but it seems like it's his own fault!

Thanks, I will try herding them with a stick. They liked dried fish as a treat so I will try that. Since my last post one of the goslings has wised up and is attacking the little duckling back. I feel sorry for this little guy, he's getting grief from all sides but it seems like it's his own fault!
Sometimes bullies need to be taught a lesson just don't let it go too far.

Is there any way that you can create a little protected area in the duck house for the li'l one? That way they can all be together.
I've used hardware cloth to separate my li'l ones and my big ones. That way they can see each other and bond. Even a wire cage or some kind of crate would do the trick.

So our little stray ducking is now 6.5 weeks old and starting to get his feathers in. He is still tiny, the size the other ones were when they were when they were a month old (just weighed him, he's 26 ounces). But he's been adopted by the older two ducks so now he runs away from us and hangs out with them all day and now they sleep together in the duck house. The ducks seem to be starting to get along with the goslings now, although the goslings are still afraid of the big duck.

We still haven't figured out who is a boy and who is a girl. The older ones are 9 weeks now so I should be able to guess, but I am not sure. I am worried they are all boys!

(Photo is about a week old)

So our little stray ducking is now 6.5 weeks old and starting to get his feathers in. He is still tiny, the size the other ones were when they were when they were a month old (just weighed him, he's 26 ounces). But he's been adopted by the older two ducks so now he runs away from us and hangs out with them all day and now they sleep together in the duck house. The ducks seem to be starting to get along with the goslings now, although the goslings are still afraid of the big duck.

We still haven't figured out who is a boy and who is a girl. The older ones are 9 weeks now so I should be able to guess, but I am not sure. I am worried they are all boys!

(Photo is about a week old)
They are so cute, your right though that youngin is tiny, almost looks like Swedish duck? but in mini version gozzie is cute too.

Back
Top Bottom