Canadians check in here....

Finally I get to pick up our Birds on Monday,the coop is ready for them as is the family.cant wait!

Congratulations!
woot.gif

11:00am at Cathy's it is! Perfect! So excited!

So I need to ask some newbie questions. I am getting such different info about feeding chicks. What do all of you feed. Do you supplement and if so with what? Some people say to use ACV, some say it's not good for them. You guys on this thread will be using stuff that I can easily get my hands on as well...other threads that are US based often suggest products I can't locate!

Bought my feeder and waterer today! Ordering the Eco brooder this week. Stoked!

@ shesinthebarn:

I have been raising chickens for 24 years, I can tell you what I feeds chicks and have had good success with. Others may have something else to add. If I get chicks from another source (not hatched myself) I will put some stress aid in the water for a couple days. I feed medicated chick starter until they are 4-5 weeks old and then I switch them to a grower finisher. I feed this until they start to lay and then feed a layer ration. I will start to introduce kitchen scraps, fruits and veggies around the 12 week mark.

Not sure where you get your feed but I go to Settler's Supplies in Sheffield, great people to deal with and very helpful!!! Can talk more on the 24th
big_smile.png

@ shesinthebarn:

I have been raising chickens for 24 years, I can tell you what I feeds chicks and have had good success with.  Others may have something else to add.  If I get chicks from another source (not hatched myself) I will put some stress aid in the water for a couple days.  I feed medicated chick starter until they are 4-5 weeks old and then I switch them to a grower finisher.  I feed this until they start to lay and then feed a layer ration.  I will start to introduce kitchen scraps, fruits and veggies around the 12 week mark.

Not sure where you get your feed but I go to Settler's Supplies in Sheffield, great people to deal with and very helpful!!!  Can talk more on the 24th :D

Yup me too! Settlers Supplies in Sheffield. I feed my one year old hens and the two year olds and the "grande dame" nine year old all the same thing. Layer scratch topped off with black oil sunflower seeds, romaine lettuce, quinoa bread, sometimes mealworms. They free range for most of the day. Some days there are special leftovers like rice, grapes, pasta, corn on the cob. Sometimes I add flax seed, cayenne, kale, oats. Sometimes, if they have to be in for the day because of weather, I give them a watermelon. Feeding is fun, not a stressor.

Ok, perfect! Does not sound too complicated. Where do you get stress aid? From settlers? I usually use Quick Feeds, but maybe Settlers has more chicken stuff. Quicks is horse heaven, but not so much for poultry.

Any brand preferences? For my horse I am a master feeds fan, but not too sure for chicks...I guess I should ask of there is particular brand to avoid? Sorry for all of the questions! I was at the store today and ended up with more questions than answers.

Where is this Cathy's place? I feel I am missing something?

Funny about the back yard neighbour having chickens!

I'm getting new chicks as well :D Can't wait!!!

Last edited:
Greetings from Southwestern Ontario! I live halfway between London and Windsor. If anyone else lives in this area give me a shout, I would love to hear from you!

My coop is almost complete, just a few finishing touches to go and I received my year old hens today (I think they are all hens). They may very well be Pearl White Leghorns, but I'm still investigating.

Back
Top Bottom