Can't push in horizontal nipples into PVC pipe... help please!

I am using 1" pvc pipe and have about 50 nipples vertically installed . I had to pre-drill and then tap the holes and thread the nipples in and tighten them with a wrench to stop them from leaking. There is a fine line between tight and stripped out. Don't strong-arm them into place or you WILL have a leak.

Last edited:
I used mine on a plastic five gallon bottle and man, I had the same problem you did. They just *would not go in* even with a hammer (last resort, borne out of frustration), so I ended up drilling the holes a little bigger; that let me put in four of the five I had, even with stripped threading. The last one, though, kinda leaks just a tiny bit.

The teflon tape is a good idea. I wish I had that when putting in that last one.

I used mine on a plastic five gallon bottle and man, I had the same problem you did. They just *would not go in* even with a hammer (last resort, borne out of frustration), so I ended up drilling the holes a little bigger; that let me put in four of the five I had, even with stripped threading. The last one, though, kinda leaks just a tiny bit.

The teflon tape is a good idea. I wish I had that when putting in that last one.
What size drill bit did you use for your initial hole?

What size drill bit did you use for your initial hole?

At first I used the one it said; I think it was 5/8 or 3/8. What I did after was wiggle that bit around until it was closer to the width of the last third of the threads on the nipple (the part close to the nipple part where they drink from). I'm sorry that wasn't more direct with the dimensions. :\

At first I used the one it said; I think it was 5/8 or 3/8. What I did after was wiggle that bit around until it was closer to the width of the last third of the threads on the nipple (the part close to the nipple part where they drink from). I'm sorry that wasn't more direct with the dimensions. :\
Yeah, 3/8" is the correct drill size. See, the problem you and others are having is that you are attempting to 'screw' in these nipples into a very rounded surface. Screwing them into buckets is easy-peasy, but the curvature of the bucket is nil. But on a 1" PVC pipe? Very difficult if not impossible.

Back
Top Bottom