Can't push in horizontal nipples into PVC pipe... help please!

I have 5 soloway horizontal nipples and I made my waterer yesterday. I'm using a 1" PVC pipe and I've seen others use the same thing with the same nipples. I drilled the holes exactly the size I read that I should (3/8). For the life of me (and my husband) - cannot get them in! We push and turn and push until our thumbs feel like they're going to fall off haha. Should I just drill the hole a little bigger? We can get them in half way and then they'll pop back out... so I really think the hole must be too small.
What is the thickness of your 1" pipe? If it's thick walled pipe, the width plus the curve of the pipe will make it difficult because there isn't enough flat surface area for the tapered threads to grab onto. Thinner walled pipe and pipe with a larger diameter work much better. If you're installing a lot of them, it also helps to use a square plastic gripper bit (made by the company who makes the nipples) that allows you to use a drill to install them instead of holding onto them with your fingers.

What is the thickness of your 1" pipe? If it's thick walled pipe, the width plus the curve of the pipe will make it difficult because there isn't enough flat surface area for the tapered threads to grab onto. Thinner walled pipe and pipe with a larger diameter work much better. If you're installing a lot of them, it also helps to use a square plastic gripper bit (made by the company who makes the nipples) that allows you to use a drill to install them instead of holding onto them with your fingers.
Yep, that's what I said yesterday afternoon:
Quote:

I use 1/2 inch pvc and screw mine in all the time and they don't leak, you have to thread the 3/8 hole with a tap and dye or a fine thread bolt

Last edited:
Ok I'm back. I went to HD and bought a 2' stick of 1 1/4" PVC. Got all the connectors again for that size. Then got a 3/8" tap and dye. It worked perfect!!! They screwed right in!! Now I hope they don't leak. Eeeeek! Going to hook it up in a bit.

Ok the new nipples came and are installed. No leaking except the last nipple on the pipe (so the far left end one) is shooting water out of the nipple part. Not where the nipple is threaded to the pipe. But the actual nipple. It must be pressure related?? Any ideas on how I can fix this?? It's like a geyser. Haha

Back
Top Bottom