Caponized roo personality

My Sebright rooster's crow is VERY loud, and strident, not squeaky or less loud than other roosters. I have one neighbor who gives me a hard time about it. The others has ever mentioned it.

I did buy one of the no-crow collars, but even the smallest size was too big, and I was uncomfortable with the idea of it anyway.

Hi, we live within City limits, so can't have roosters. If I get my daughters pets caponized, will they still crow? Does it mellow them out?

Thanks
We caponize our bresse cockerels on the farm. Maybe you will get lucky with no crowing, however, yes, they can still crow and they will still mate with the hens. They will just not be able to fertilize the hens eggs. If the cockerel was not captioned properly, he can also regrow their testicles and be able to fertilize the hens.

We caponize our bresse cockerels on the farm. Maybe you will get lucky with no crowing, however, yes, they can still crow and they will still mate with the hens. They will just not be able to fertilize the hens eggs. If the cockerel was not captioned properly, he can also regrow their testicles and be able to fertilize the hens.
If he wasn’t canonized properly he will not ‘regrow’ testicles. He is only using the tissue left behind in the botched procedure.

We have a banty rooster (Silkie) who was caponized by his previous owner because we can’t have noisy roos in the city. He never crowed for her (2.5 years). When we got him he crowed a few times, responding to a neighbors noisy hens, but he hasn’t for almost a year now. He’s quieter than the hens!

I don’t know if he’ll have a shortened life because of the neutering, but he seems to be a healthy little guy. I would encourage you to do the caponizing if you intend to keep him. Check on the optimal time (how many weeks old) to neuter roos, but I don’t think you want to wait too long to test out crow collars. With a vet going the neutering he will probably be fine.

Is no one here going to mention the possibiliy of CHEMICAL castration? (AKA giving him estrogen cream)? It works when done well and done regularly.
Chemical castration of roosters and/or drakes, ganders, etc (pre-pubescent and mature birds) can be achieved via off-label use of an anti-testosterone implant designed for use in dogs. It's called Suprelorin and is a vet-only product requiring some expertise to achieve painless injection into the breast muscle of birds (it's a whopping great 12g needle).
Pros are fairly obvious: no testosterone based behaviour (cranky roos that attack you, randy drakes that rape your gumboots, etc); AND if performed in the pre-pubescent or pubescent bird [before crowing becomes a learned behaviour], will eliminate crowing; no fighting between the boys over the girls (or lack thereof
icon_wink.gif
); zero fertility after about 5 days in implanted birds so you can be sure who daddy is going to be.
Cons are a bit more complex. Aside from the off-label use (which just means your vet needs to explain to you that this medication is not registered for use in avians but has been used in practice enough for him/her to be satisfied that it is safe), the cost can be inhibitory if you are implanting lots of birds. I generally use the six-month implant in avians when implanting an individual for the first time, and we can get 2 years + of fertility control in some birds at this dose. Others will wear off right on the six months and the next time we'll use 12 month implants in those individuals. I have a feeling it may be weight & metabolism related, but I'll have to do a few more before I'm sure, as I've only implanted a dozen or so birds at these stage - and mostly parrots. Cost can range from $80 - $120 and upwards per implant depending on your vet & which implant your bird needs. Variability of length of control can be another issue - because we don't necessarily know for how long the implant will control fertility as mentioned above. The bird can also never be eaten after having the implant (but that fits if the reason you're implanting your extra roos is that you don't want to eat them). Males can also lose their secondary sexual characteristics and become somewhat feminised in appearance in comparison with an entire male bird. But as long as you don't call them sissies they seem not to mind.
icon_lol.gif

Our two bantam roosters are pretty loud--best to stick with hens. Hens can be great pets. Some of ours help us with whatever we are doing outside Snow gets up on our lap and loves to be hugged and petted. She also expects to have some of whatever we are eating. She is nine years old. Most all of our hens and roosters are pretty tame. They like to drink out of the bottle caps of whatever sports drink we are drinking.

The purpose of the capon procedure is to create more tender meat and is always done before the cockerel matures. It deprives the bird of the hormones needed to make him strong and is not to keep him from crowing. The only option for city poultry keepers is to get sex link chicks. These are two breeds crossed to produce different color feathers from males than females, making it possible to sex them at hatch and beyond. If there is no law against roosters, but you simply want to keep your neighbors friendly, keep your chickens closed inside a more sound proof, insulated coop or barn, (with proper ventilation), during the night time. With the coop darkened and sound proofed, your roosters won’t be waking everyone up at night. Just hope none of your neighbors is in the medical field, or first responder,... and has to sleep during the day.

Back
Top Bottom