Caponized roo personality

I will go ahead and ask this also: we neuter dogs and cats for several reasons, one of them being for the animals health and well-being. Why is it so terrible for a rooster? Especially if done by and avian specialized vet? Also, why do y'all say that it would likely cause death? I can't imagine a vet would even do it if the outcome is death.
Y'all-don't get mad at me for asking, I just like to have answers to the questions that pop into my head.

I don’t know the answer as I’ve never tried it before, but I do want to say, please don’t caponize a cockerel / rooster... there are a lot of after effects (number one being death) that go into this. If you aren’t allowed roosters, I highly recommend not keeping one. Honestly, I’d try a 'no-crow collar' before I’d get a roo caponized...
Agreed, but I'm still curious. I can't imagine that removing the ... ahem ... boy parts ... would make them stop crowing. If it were my boys, it'd probably just tick 'em off enough to complain even more!

I will go ahead and ask this also: we neuter dogs and cats for several reasons, one of them being for the animals health and well-being. Why is it so terrible for a rooster? Especially if done by and avian specialized vet? Also, why do y'all say that it would likely cause death? I can't imagine a vet would even do it if the outcome is death.
Y'all-don't get mad at me for asking, I just like to have answers to the questions that pop into my head.
Risk with surgery for fowl, is that they often have bad reactions to anesthetic, their bodies cant handle it as well as other animals and are more likely to die if being put under for surgery. I dont know if they do that for neutering a bird or if their just given pain meds for them though. And for cats and dogs, you know how they can get lazier after spay/neuter, its it's because your taking away their hormones, lest activity like that for chickens can cause them to get over weight if I remember/read correctly, wich can in turn cause health problems.

I am probably going to get some flack for what i’m about to say...

Caponizing is like any other treatment given to livestock. There will be some that do not react well and die.
That being said, caponizing done at 8wks is fairly positive with results of no crowing and no aggression or fighting.
Most roosters do not make the grade for breeding qualities and they are harvested ( euphemism for killing) at 12wks or so.
Being that the hatch is roughly going to be 50/50 roosters hens if caponizing allows the roosters to live a longer life then I’m going with that.
Just my opinion...

I am probably going to get some flack for what i’m about to say...

Caponizing is like any other treatment given to livestock. There will be some that do not react well and die.
That being said, caponizing done at 8wks is fairly positive with results of no crowing and no aggression or fighting.
Most roosters do not make the grade for breeding qualities and they are harvested ( euphemism for killing) at 12wks or so.
Being that the hatch is roughly going to be 50/50 roosters hens if caponizing allows the roosters to live a longer life then I’m going with that.
Just my opinion...
Thank you for your honest opinion. So many fear backlash these days. Fortunately, I haven't seen anyone be rude on BYC, although they are passionate about their opinions.

Back
Top Bottom