Car vs Rooster!!! Can he be saved???

Quote:
It may be a good idea to offer him some grit. I'm sure he had some already before you got him, but maybe give him a bit more?

Quote:
It may be a good idea to offer him some grit. I'm sure he had some already before you got him, but maybe give him a bit more?

Good point, I haven't had to buy any ever since I let the girls out of the coop to explore the yard. Now my question, now that you mention "he had some already before"....does the grit ever pass through the system or does it stay in the gizzard forever? And instead of buying some could I just grab some from the yard???

Quote:

Good point, I haven't had to buy any ever since I let the girls out of the coop to explore the yard. Now my question, now that you mention "he had some already before"....does the grit ever pass through the system or does it stay in the gizzard forever? And instead of buying some could I just grab some from the yard???

Yep, some from the yard will do the job just fine. The general consensus with grit seems to be that it gets ground up ever smaller over time, until it is no longer usable for the bird and is passed.

So the great news today was that Lucky started crowing and eating a little by himself.
thumbsup.gif

But I'm worried it's not enough to sustain him, I kinda laid off of the syringe because he was showing interest and tasting almost everything I presented him with...but there was no "cleaning of the plate" and I wonder if that's just because he's still so sore or what. Should I be force feeding him or just let him take what he wants and leave it at that? He had some chick starter, a little bit of egg, a few meal worms, a fly
wink.png
, he pecked at the spinach (I don't know if he actually consumed any) and then a few more nibbles of chick starter. And several drinks of water throughout the day, though never very much at a time, just a couple sips....perhaps I'm worrying too much? Maybe tomorrow he'll have a bigger appetite....I'd just hate to lose him at this point....I LUF HIM!!!
love.gif

Again I thank you all for your encouragement, kind words and advice! What a wonderful community to be a part of! I believe the chickens make me a better person
smile.png

Give him more time. His beak is probably hurting. I would use what he ate today as a "gauge" of sorts of what he should eat tmw.. and then when it increases a little each day you know he's getting better. If he eats less than he did today... something else is going on.

And I realize that I didn't really word that very well. I hope that makes sense!

I've been following this thread, but really didn't have anything useful to add. Just want to say that I'm rooting for him as well. Can't believe how much better he looks already!
smile.png

love.gif
Love the video of your son & Lucky!!! I am so happy that he has gotten through the worst of it & is mending. As for the calcium, grind up some egg shells in a food processor & add it to some softer mash. I save all my shells & "bake" them while I am preheating the oven for baking.
Congrats & best of luck with Lucky's healing. I'll keep watching too.
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom