Car vs Rooster!!! Can he be saved???

OrphanNanny

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Wausau, Wisconsin
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!
I just found a rooster that must have gotten hit on the side of the highway...tried contacting his people but nobody home so I've got him here with me wrapped up in a towel and next to the heater. He's soaking wet from the rain and appears to have blood coming from his beak...he's trying to move some but it's quite evident that one of his legs is broken....
What else can I do but keep him warm and dry??? I feel so bad for him
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

Awww that poor boy is soooo lucky you found him when you did. My heart hurts for him right now
sad.png
One can only imagine what he has been thru. I hope he pulls thru for you
fl.gif
A few years back I had 2 roos that had found a way to fight thru a dog kennel, my serama roo bernie was convered in blood and his bottom beak had cracked similar to your rescued roo. I washed the area up well and had decided to not glue it as he is pretty7 small and I was afraid id glue his mouth shut. I kept him inside for a few weeks while he healed and he did end up loosing his bottom beak. It turned black and just fell right off. Now he looks like gonzo from the muppets. We trim the top beak often so its easier for him to eat. When he was inside I mixed up a warm mash using their feed and warm water mixed until it was like a slushy. It worked great with minimal effort on his part as I didn't want to cause more damage to his beak by feeding him dry feed that he would have to peck at to get in his mouth. Now he has a special dish (deep bowl) he eats from because of his new handicapp. So even if your roo looses his bottom beak and probably part of the top beak he can still live a good life. I look forward to your updates on that special roo ya got there
hugs.gif
ty for taking him in.

Oh, people like you make me feel so much better about the human race in general! I love that you are taking the time to care for this poor bedraggled fellow.
I see you are in Wisconsin; it is certainly possible that he was dubbed due to the cold weather. He could also have been in a big pen of other roos all waiting to go into the freezer; often they dub everyone to keep the blood from flying. The fact that it sounds like he wasn't dubbed very skillfully leads me to think the latter; often people do a lot of birds at the same time and their care and technique leave a lot to be desired. Poor fella!
It surely does look like he has leg mites, which makes me think he is an older bird. Curious...

Do you ever read the James Herriot books? Often he refers to older or very injured animals as having a "pathetic dignity". When I looked at the pictures of your guy that was the phrase that popped into my head. He's just hanging on to life and doing the best he can. It breaks my heart.

Quote:
I have not read any, but I like the sounds of it!
Ok, I've been up and down and then back up with emotions today...sooo happy this morning, then I got a call from his person and she was wondering if he was still alive and I was to quick to say "yes, he's hanging on" and then she wondered when she could come pick him up....And then I was SAD
hit.gif
for several hours, til I decided to call her back and offer to buy him from her and she said I could just have him if I wanted him....And I DO....So Lucky J L Roo is officially our newest family member!
ya.gif

Still trying to get him to eat something...I've mixed some chick starter with some warm water and tried to get some in with the syringe, but it's like he spits it out....

I'm going to see if he'll take some yogurt...crap, I forgot to get yogurt...do you think sour cream is ok? Good grief, or maybe cottage cheese???

Now for his pain, I don't have the childrens aspirin pills I have it in liquid form...how much do you think I should try to give him?

Oh yea and the only other history on him I was able to get was that she had just recently taken him in herself from someone that didn't want him, so I really don't think she was the one who mistreated him, it was whomever had him before her...and she was so willing to give him to me because she only has 5 hens and with 2 roos it was getting a little "busy" down on the farm
wink.png

Lucky is awake and chattering after night number 2
smile.png
To recap yesterday, I managed to patch up his cracks in his beak, got some chick starter mash into him and then I gave him some medicine to take care of his scaly leg mites along with any other internal or external icky bugs he may have.
My two yr old son was watching me feed Lucky with the syringe and a little later while I was making dinner my son decided to feed Lucky too...lol He would touch the syringe to the food then poke it through the holes in the laundry basket and touch it to Lucky's beak, all the while saying, "eat, eat" ...Lucky didn't mind and it was so sweet to watch him, then he grabbed the little cup I'd been using for water, run over and fill it up from the door on the fridge, though I had to stop him before he dumped it on Lucky's head LOL
love.gif

So the great news today was that Lucky started crowing and eating a little by himself.
thumbsup.gif

But I'm worried it's not enough to sustain him, I kinda laid off of the syringe because he was showing interest and tasting almost everything I presented him with...but there was no "cleaning of the plate" and I wonder if that's just because he's still so sore or what. Should I be force feeding him or just let him take what he wants and leave it at that? He had some chick starter, a little bit of egg, a few meal worms, a fly
wink.png
, he pecked at the spinach (I don't know if he actually consumed any) and then a few more nibbles of chick starter. And several drinks of water throughout the day, though never very much at a time, just a couple sips....perhaps I'm worrying too much? Maybe tomorrow he'll have a bigger appetite....I'd just hate to lose him at this point....I LUF HIM!!!
love.gif

Again I thank you all for your encouragement, kind words and advice! What a wonderful community to be a part of! I believe the chickens make me a better person
smile.png

Wow. Never in a million years would I have expected to see that beak on that rooster. Lucky, you're one lucky rooster to have landed with OrphanNanny! Now if you could just pay a visit to my coop and teach my young roos better manners around the young ladies...
I can't wait to see what the chicks will look like. They've got one handsome papa!

Back
Top Bottom