Cardboard Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is really easy to make a chicken waterer.
get a plastic yogurt container and the lid
about 1/4" below the top cut a opening 1/2" high by 1" wide
fill the container with water up to the cut and place the cover on it
you will also need a bowl with straight sides not very deep though and that is a little bigger than the top of the yogurt container
turn the yogurt container upside down in the bowl
if this tips over it usually doesn't make as much of a mess

hi Bestbestbuddy,
it is really easy to make a chicken waterer.
get a plastic yogurt container and the lid
about 1/2" below the top cut an opening 1/4" high by 1" wide
fill the container with water up to the cut and place the cover on it
you will also need a bowl with straight sides not very deep though and that is big enough for Corn to fit his head in between
turn the yogurt container upside down in the bowl, water will come out till it gets above the opening and then stop
if this tips over it usually doesn't make much of a mess

keep up with all the wonderful attention you're giving Corn!

Good luck finding Corn a nice friend.

can you put some gravel in his box or where ever he is most of the time? if you drop treats in his shavings he will scratch around and it should help his nails some. my chickens have fairly long nails also and they are outside a lot. can you make a doorway in your box and add another room with another box? does he have a light to keep him warm and brighten his day? does he have a roost? little ones are easy to make just from a scrap of plywood with a piece of (wood) a 2 by 4 nailed to it. the 2 by 4 needs to stand up so the top is skinny and the piece of plywood should be large enough to keep it from tipping over and small enough to fit where you need it . If you don't have any scraps hanging around you could , try looking at Hardware stores some will have junk they may just give it away. be sure to sand the edges Corn will stand on and any other parts that are sharp.

good luck with Corn

For those of you who haven't read the past posts, here is what is currently going on. In the morning take Corn out of his indoors box and bring him to his outside box in the garage. His outside box contains newspaper, a waterer I made out of the bottom of a Dasani water bottle, a food bowl of chicken food, and a mirror tapped to the wall. I always let him out in the morning before I go to school for about 10 - 15 minutes. Then I put him back in his outside box in the garage (my dad keeps a nice distance away from Corn's box and is only near him when he walks pass to go in the house) When I come back from school, I do some stuff for about 15 minutes and then My little sister, brother, and I take Corn out for about 30 minutes. At that time we change his newspaper, water, and add more food. When we are done, we take him into his inside box which is in the play room with a waterer, food bowl, newspaper, and a lamp on the storage box next to his box. At 8:00 PM I turn off his lamp and watch him for about 3 minutes or so. In between times, I come downstairs to take Corn out of his box to wander around. A question, who do roosters live with? Do they live with hens, or other roosters? And about hens too? And how to tell if Corn is a he or a she. When I think about an outside coop, I get concerned with cats, weather, and neighbors. The neighbors aren't bad people, it just makes me shaky. How big do you think for 1 chicken? Could you help me out on the whole outside coop thing? No, Corn is not going to be used for our next dinner.

--- Sad
sad.png

A couple of things that concerns most is, chickens are gregarious (flock social), basically the same as people. Another is, birds need sunlight for health reasons (and sanity).

Look at it from Corn's point of view; Would you like to be locked up in your bedroom 23 hours a day with no windows and no one to talk to and wait for a couple of brief visits a day? (you indicate Corn gets about 1 hour a day of attention)

that sounds more like a criminal in a crappy prison system then a well cared for chicken.

This thread is very frustrating , i feel so much for poor corn, i really do, ok look at it this way and keep it in m ind next time you lock up corn in his cell

your woken up taken outside for 15 miniutes in that time you try and explore and enjoy your surroundings as much as you can,you are then wipped away into another box for a few more hours,then you are pulled out of your box again then bought back to the place you love to be ,then just after a short 30 miniute period you are put into another cell.....meanwhile threw this whole process your alone and have no one to share your feelings with.

its not only corns physcologial health thats being compramised its his physical health HE NEEDS AT LEAST 6 TO 8 HOURS OF SUN LIGHT AT LEAST 6 TO 8 OURS OF SUN LIGHT

if you dont look after him properly then you might as well cook him now end his suffering

Buddy, if you are determined to keep Corn, please do just a couple of things. It won't cost a lot and will be fairly easy.

Build a coop for him (perhaps big enough for two in case you want to get another when you're prepared).

If you guys (or anyone you know) has an old doghouse you could use that. Clean it out with a bleach/water solution and perhaps saw the top off but still somehow keep it connected, or if it's heavy enough, just let it sit on top. This will allow you to clean it out every couple of days. Or you could build a simple one out of plywood. Or I guess you could use a huge rubbermaid bin and put a big rock or block on top so it doesn't blow away.

You could partition off a corner and put some bedding (shredded paper, leaves, etc.) in it for the nesting box. (Sorry, I don't know if Corn a male or female, so if a male you don't need to do this.)

You would need to put some slits in the coop, big enough for ventilation, but small enough so it stays somewhat dry.

Then get some chicken wire with no more than one inch spaces and make some type of run with it that attaches onto the doorway of the 'coop'.

Just put a patch of sand or dirt in the run for dust bathing.

If you could do these things, Corn would have a great life... just remember to keep plenty of water and chicken feed. You could move the whole thing around the yard so that Corn always has fresh grass and bugs to chomp on.

After you get to this point, perhaps you should add a friend for Corn.

If I forgot anything crucial, please feel free to add on, you guys. I'm totally new to all this. I know the situation would not be perfect, but I have a feeling he's attached to Corn and is not willing to give it up. We have to work with what he has.

Could you get a small dog kennel and let him be in it all day long with his food and water and a small dog crate in it? That would suffice. You can even put a tarp over the top if you worry about things getting him. You can still bring him in at night. Please let him live a good live outside at least.

Sorry, but I have to say this thread really makes me sad! Half way through reading all the posts, I had to get up and take a walk around the house before I could read the rest.

Please let me know if corn runs out of food and I will send you some! I can also send you some shavings!!

Can we get an updated pic of corn?

I've read this thread several times and I am not sure that Bestbestbuddy may not be a troll "fishing" for your reactions. I've seen it on other internet forums I am involved in. Yes...I know there is a picture of Corn, but the way the posts are sometimes misspelled but with perfect punctuation throughout makes me doubt the authenticity of Mr. BestBestBuddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom