Cardboard Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corn is doing well, but I'm worried about one thing. How can you tell if a chicken has lice? Lately he's been shaking his tail, and before I saw a tiny bug on him. :eek:

Quote:
If you see tiny red or light brown insects that look like spiders crawling on chickens skin they are body mites, during the day mites live on perches & nests. Setting hens on nest are a prime target for mites.
For treatment dust your birds with insecticide powder/DE and clean out coop to discourage the parasites from coming back. Sprinkle insecticide powder/DE into all cracks, crevices. Use only a powder approved for poultry. Contact a feed store and inquire about Dri Kil.
Leg mites: If the scales on chicken’s shanks are raised instead of lying smoothly they are leg mites, they burrow under scales. They can be quite painful and cause the chicken to walk stiff legged. To control leg mites once a month, brush perches & legs of all your chickens with vegetable oil

shaking tails is normal...my chickens did it all day, but normally if a chicken has mites you will notice a loss of feathers..and u will see bugs.

Ok. I just thought it was weird that he never shook his tail, then suddenly did. If a chicken has any type of parasites on it, can they be caught by humans?

Quote:
Parasites and worms can be spread to humans, we all have parasites and worms were a living being the main thing is to keep them under control. And the fact that you have animals the chances is definitely increased.

Sorry haven't been around the site that often as before, but I would like to give a few updates on Corn.
1) After eating the chicken food for a while, he was grown this sorta of red looking thing on the top of his beak. Is that a sign of him being a boy?
2) Corn's hair (feathers on top of his head) used to be black ish and now it is turning fuzzier! (good thing) I was wondering if his hair will grow so much to the point you can't see his eyes anymore?
3) Still wags his tail
4) Around his feet there are feathers (there always have been) but now there are these straw looking sorta things connecting them to him. Is that a normal part of him growing? (sorry if it doesn't make sense, I'll try to get some pics)
5) Should his nails be clipped ever?
6) Um... that's about it!

Please respond.. I'll try remembering to check on this site more!

its good that corn is doing better.you say after eating the chicken food he is feeling better.I hope you know the "soil" is a constant need its not a one of thing.

silkies need extra vitamens then regular chickens.
mutlivitamen in the water will help corn very much.

corn needs natural sunlight to promote healthy.

being outside will help heaps with corns toenails.You need to put PINE shavings in corns box.fresh everyday would be good.if corn eats a few of them then it wont hurt him.dont put the hamster hay(or what ever you called it) if he eats it he could get sour or impacte crop(sickeness of the pouch the food goes before the gizzarda"stomache") wich could make him very very sick and die(cannot stress that enough)

i still think you should put a radio and a mirror in with him when he is left alone in that garage when your at school.Just the thought that he isnt alone will help corn threw each day.

a rabbit hutch would be an exellent way of keeping corn safe while your at school.

the red thing above his beak is called a comb.every chicken has one rooster or hen. how old is corn? that should determine if its a boy or girl.

have you ever herd of shell grit...they should sell it at every pet shop.put some in a bowl and let him peck at that each day.it helps grind up the food in his "stomache" that will aid him in digestion and make him healthier.

do you think it is a good idea to get another chicken.If you can get corn every single thing he needs then why put 2 chickens threw it all.I agree with many other.we know you love corn and you want the best for him.but the best thing may be giving him to a home that can look after him properly.

im not sure if you fixed the smoke filled garage.But i put it to you this way.if you were kept in a small box on news paper and then your box started filling up with a toxic fog how healthy would you be.If you want corn to die keep him in this enviroment

perhaps you could start off fresh with chickens in a few yeard when your older,wiser and could ahve a job to pay for the things chickens need.

i dont mean to hurt your feelings upset you or scare you. But these are truths.You really shouldnt have an animal if you cannot care for it properly.Corns health has already been put at risk bye the poor diet. no sunshine and in haling smoke isnt going to do him any favours either.

Last edited:
People here are trying to be kind to you and convince you to do the right thing for your bird. They keep saying that your heart is in the right place, and they know that you love Corn. But the way you're treating him makes me wonder--it's very selfish to do what you've done to this little birdie.

If you can't give him a good place to live and take proper care of him, it's selfish and irresponsible to keep him, especially when so many people here have offered to help with finding him a good place to live, a place where he can be happy. You're not considering his feelings and his needs, which is what people do when they really love someone else.

A dark box is a bad place to keep a chicken. You've read it here, and you know it to be true... but because you don't want to give him away, you think it's love to keep him. It's not love. It's very hurtful to your bird, and that's not love... that's not having your heart in the right place. If your heart was in the right place, you'd be more concerned about what he needs than what you want.

Don't blame your parents for not helping you enough. You're the only one he has. He can't talk to you in words, he can only show you how he feels in his behavior and his health. What has he been telling you with those things?

If you want to show that I'm wrong about you not loving your bird, it would make me happy. To do that, you'd either have to find him a good home with someone who can give him all the things he needs--NOT a neighbor or friend who will agree to keep the bird in a cardboard box for you--or you'd have to get him the proper things he needs NOW.

If you can't convince your parents to help you take proper care of him, and if you REALLY love him, you still need to make sure he has what he needs and find a better home for him NOW. Not later. Don't make him suffer like that any more if you love him.

sad.png

UGH! This thread is breaking my heart. Any update on Corn, Buddy? Were you able to get her the correct food, and a proper home?

I hope Corn is doing better and has at least an outdoor coop. My mom makes a special herb soup that calls for black skin chicken, and if that is what corn was bought for, maybe she would be happier not in a cardboard box since it seems you can't part with her to another person. I worry about when I sell my birds to other what will happen to them, and often if I have a favorite roo or bird I have to rid of, I rather know their fate than to be uncertain. Please try to find him a good home or do what is right for your bird if you care for it so much. When you are older and have the means to raise a pair of chickens properly, you can try again.

Best of luck to Corn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom