care to share your silkie crosses?

Where you able to check which chick had black skin and which dont,

this cross looks weird to me very weird as they look like Silver/Gold sexlink cross, yet its not as if the Silver was Silver and the mothers are gold(MF are gold) these would have created all Silverish looking chicks, yet I see silverish colored chicks and Gold colored chicks,

Yep they are silver and gold. Their down is so thick I can't tell their skin color yet. I guess I have to wait a bit. But there is no way they have any other parents. My aunt owns them and she lives right behind me. Hawks are an issue and she worries for her bantams so they don't range. These are the only three birds in the pen and I collected their eggs myself. It will be interesting to see what happens with these babies.

Quote:
then these chicks dont follow the gold/silver sex link theory, I mean they do the opposite, and if they did then they would be braking the Id vs id+ sex link theory too.. which makes no sensen either. let study the gold/silver sexlink theory to see why it just dont make any sense Gold rooster mated to Silver hen will produce gold hens and silver looking cockerels, Silver rooster mated to Gold hens will produce Silver hens and silver looking cockerels making them impossible to sex.. your MF pullets are clearly gold Father is White Silkie which can be based on Gold but this could would produce all gold based chicks, and yet wee see some silver looking chicks.... so you see how this does not make any sense?

I have a request to you, could you please take a better close up pics of the gold looking chicks, because I can tell the silver ones do look like they are fully expressing their Fibromelanotic gene from silkie father, this would mean they are the pullets, which make no sense, but I need to know if the gold ones show this trait

I have a request to you, could you please take a better close up pics of the gold looking chicks, because I can tell the silver ones do look like they are fully expressing their Fibromelanotic gene from silkie father, this would mean they are the pullets, which make no sense, but I need to know if the gold ones show this trait

I would be happy to! This is curious.

Ok, so I went and took a closer look the pics you posted, now this is the best pic of the gold chick you took(not good at all but I was able to see the chicks beak) ..

now zooming on it looks like the silver ones are expressing Fibromelanotic, making them the Females(if thoese are the ONLY Possible parents) but the gold chick is showing a less intensed Dark beak which is expected from Id/id+ Fm/fm+ male chicks.. But why is he gold looking? makes no sense

Ok, so I went and took a closer look the pics you posted, now this is the best pic of the gold chick you took(not good at all but I was able to see the chicks beak) ..

now zooming on it looks like the silver ones are expressing Fibromelanotic, making them the Females(if thoese are the ONLY Possible parents) but the gold chick is showing a less intensed Dark beak which is expected from Id/id+ Fm/fm+ male chicks.. But why is he gold looking? makes no sense
Here are more pics hopefully they help you figure out the mystery.

Last edited:
I kept a gold...Cosmo and a silver....Stella They hatched on Easter so that makes them nearly 8 weeks old:

This chick was supposed to be a silkie hen (black or white) crossed with a black frizzle roo. Either some through the fence mating happened or there is some wild recessive gene floating. We also had free running silver duckwing and golden laced Roos.

This chick was supposed to be a silkie hen (black or white) crossed with a black frizzle roo. Either some through the fence mating happened or there is some wild recessive gene floating. We also had free running silver duckwing and golden laced Roos.
Still that is a lovely chick!

Back
Top Bottom