care to share your silkie crosses?

Silkie crosses are some of my favorite mutts ever, I have yet to see a boring looking silkie cross.

Here's the only one I have at the moment, she's a great broody, shes pictured with some BCM chicks she htched a couple years ago and she actually setting on her own eggs right now.
37373_100_4471.jpg

Quote:
you can actually sex them at hatch if you use silkie roo over any type of hen.

Quote:
Thanks for confirming my "Sex Linked" Theory by using Silky Roos

What if the cross was the other way around ? Should they all be dark skinned then ? I've hatched dark skinned pullets that I'm pretty sure were a BCM roo in Silkie hens, but then I've also hatched a white skinned pullet from a Mottled Cochin roo on a White silkie hen.

Quote:
Wow, I especially love this ones color, do you know what color of silkie and polish made her ? It almost looks like black and lav on the same bird.

I have some silkie x white faced black Spanish eggs in the bator right now, set to hatch on the 3rd/4th. We are going to call them "spilkies" LOL!

Well, we have seen the Spanish boys mating our silkie girl, but the cuckoo silkie roo has also mounted her, so we are not quite sure what we're gonna get. DH is hoping for "spilkies". I wouldn't mind a full-blooded silkie or two. All four eggs are developing wonderfully. They go into lockdown day after tomorrow & all had obvious movement/activity when we candled last night at day 15.

Quote:
Wow, I especially love this ones color, do you know what color of silkie and polish made her ? It almost looks like black and lav on the same bird.

Yes, that is such a cool color!

Quote:
you can actually sex them at hatch if you use silkie roo over any type of hen.

Quote:
Thanks for confirming my "Sex Linked" Theory by using Silky Roos

What if the cross was the other way around ? Should they all be dark skinned then ? .

as you already know, Sex links can only work one way... Silkie roos are id+/id+ Fm/Fm. cross to a Hen Id/- fm+/fm+ hens this will produce id+/- Fm/fm+ hens and Roos will be Id/id+ Fm/fm+ Id will restrict expression of Fibromelanotic(Fm) leaving boys with white/yellow skin at hatch and girls with Black skin at hatch., How does it look the other way around?

Clear skined Roo with clear shanks(Id/Id fm+/fm+) cross to a Silkie hen id+/- Fm/Fm.. this will produce Id/id+ Fm/fm+ clear skin, clear skin shanks roosters. and Id/- Fm/fm+ girls with clear skin and clear shank girls..

Quote:
Black Copper Marans Carry sex linked id+/id+ so if you cross it to a silkie hens wich are also id+/- and Fm/Fm this will produce ALL chicks with black skin.. Mottled Cochins carry sex linked Id/Id and all pullets will be Id/- so no black skins here...

on my sex linked broiler project in my head(yeah too much free time to think) I would use a very Large silkie cross rooster(silkiex black jersey Giant) to a few feed restricted CornishX hens.. this cross will give me Black skin hens which I will be culling as layers pullet at hatch and keep the boys for broilers..

Back
Top Bottom