Carport to Coop/Run Conversion

Wow that is VERY WELL done!!!

You can fashion a poop scooper by putting hardware cloth over a traditional poop scooper you buy at the feed store (with a nice long handle) I have read.

I use a kitty litter scoop but that is such a large area you may need to fashion your own "kitty litter scoop."

Wear a mask when sifting sand. I just mention this in case you will be removing poo.

Last edited:
Here's the chicken bed - King Size! I'm going to make a poop hammock to go underneath it.

Well if that isn't the cutest thing!!! What an amazing idea! Tucked in bed for the night.

A poop hammock is going to be more work than scooping sand IMO but give it a whirl and see if it is best for you! I saw the poop hammock thread awhile ago.

Last week we moved the chickens from the brooder to the coop.

I also made a larger feeder from a tutorial I found on here. It is working great!

And next I have to make a new watering system. Right now they are just using what we used in the brooder - poultry nipples screwed into the bottom of these small plastic jugs. I'm going to make something with a 5 gallon bucket and PVC pipe - another tutorial I found on here. Just love this site!!

And today I added our fancy schmancy poop hammocks - I'm thinking the black & white damask pattern will help conceal the droppings in between cleanings...we'll see. I used plastic tablecloth material, doubled it over & and sewed it so the plastic is on both sides. That way when I hose it down it should dry out better. I folded the ends and sewed a pocket for the rods that hold it. I used 1/2" pvc pipe for the rods, just because I had extra laying around. Then I used hook & eyes to attach it under the roost.

Plus I put up some wall décor. Next I will start working on the exterior landscaping around the coop.

I live in central Florida too. So it's especially nice to be able to see someone else taking advantage of the warmth here, and being able to build such a fine open-air enclosure !

Great ideas , and so well done ! Both the humans and the chickens should have lots of pleasure from all this effort - best of luck !

Back
Top Bottom