Cat brought me a present! Any ideas on breed?

I'm thinking nugget is a cockerel. Usually pullets combs don't start to pinken up until around 4-6 months, right before they start laying. The neck feathers look roostery also. And I can't really tell from these pics, but are the tail feathers pointed at the ends? If so, that's another sign of a rooster.

I'm thinking nugget is a cockerel. Usually pullets combs don't start to pinken up until around 4-6 months, right before they start laying. The neck feathers look roostery also. And I can't really tell from these pics, but are the tail feathers pointed at the ends? If so, that's another sign of a rooster.

I know it's a 50/50 chance but we will keep Nugget either way. Now, the Bantams we purchased as buddies are still up in the air too. I'm almost certain the polish is a roo. I bought a cute sign that said fresh eggs and was in the shape of a hen. My husband laughed and said, "Well, you just sealed your fate with that one! You probably should have waited to see if they all end up roosters..." I honestly didn't even think of that! That would be my luck! Anyone know what happens if you have 3 roosters and no hens? Do they still get along? Will they crow less? Don't laugh at that last question. A girl can dream.

I'm learning so much from all of you that my in laws are really impressed with my chicken lingo! I appreciate all the help and advice! Keep it coming, please. :thumbsup

Well, we are now at 15 weeks! I no longer wonder what gender Nugget is! Knowing that he is probably a lovely barnyard mutt, any ideas on mix?

Love your story! Nugget's red coloring is so very intense, no idea of his heritage but love his coloring. FYI - Cockerels develop "hackle & saddle" feathering, aside from the red comb/wattle. I was hoping that Nugget was a pullet, hopefully you'll be able to keep him? How your other three coming along? Good luck.

Love your story!  Nugget's red coloring is so very intense, no idea of his heritage but love his coloring.  FYI - Cockerels develop "hackle & saddle" feathering, aside from the red comb/wattle.  I was hoping that Nugget was a pullet, hopefully you'll be able to keep him?  How your other three coming along?  Good luck.

Nugget's feathering started coming in and I knew it was only time before we heard him crowing. He's been at that for just over a week now. So, we've been harboring him like a fugitive from the neighbors. He got a camo chicken diaper so he can coexist in the house. Weather has been too hot over the past month so he and his ladies have been in their makeshift spare bathroom barnyard. As for the buddies, the little RIR only made it two days after we got her home. The other two bantams we bought turned out to both be pullets thank goodness!!! One Sultan(Chicken Little), and one Polish(Big Bird). Nugget is starting to try and get fresh with Big Bird and likes to challenge me here and there. He's put the dog and cats in their place and they run when they see him coming. It's all part of the adventure! To be continued...

Back
Top Bottom