Cat stalking chickens?!!

I agree with you all. I really hope this cat isn't a stray though because when I went to go pet it when it was in my yard it ran "for its life" well as if it where running for its life accrost a really busy street far in front of my woods and almost got ran over, does it sound like a wild cat?

I agree with you all. I really hope this cat isn't a stray though because when I went to go pet it when it was in my yard it ran "for its life" well as if it where running for its life accrost a really busy street far in front of my woods and almost got ran over, does it sound like a wild cat?

Cats are weird and unpredictable but yeah it doesn't sound very tame

we just found a new wild cat on our property, a large black & white cat & so im making an effort to have him like it here, becasue he is a great hunter of mice, he has not gone after one of our chickens & he seems afraid of them HA
smile.png
so that's good thing, but if he was a problem i would chase him off, but since i first saw him , he is doing good around here & im so glad to have him he is a good hunter , & our former wild cat who is now our house cat we named her spot is very guarding about her home & property &has been chasing the new boy around , i believe she has laid the law to down that the chickens not to be harmed & she always guards all our birds & i would not have it any other way, she is much like a dog in that respect & follows the hens around guarding them like a dog would guarding its heard & sleeps by them like a guard dog would, wile they are out free ranging every day , so between these 2 black & white spotted cat, this is a pic of our house cat spot , sleeping on the job HA
lol.png
but truly i am grateful for all their help around here, so training your cat is the key..!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
we just found a new wild cat on our property, a large black & white cat & so im making an effort to have him like it here, becasue he is a great hunter of mice, he has not gone after one of our chickens & he seems afraid of them HA:) so that's good thing, but if he was a problem i would chase him off, but since i first saw him , he is doing good around here & im so glad to have him he is a good hunter , & our former wild cat who is now our house cat we named her spot is very guarding about her home & property &has been chasing the new boy around , i believe she has laid the law to down that the chickens not to be harmed & she always guards all our birds & i would not have it any other way, she is much like a dog in that respect & follows the hens around guarding them like a dog would guarding its heard & sleeps by them like a guard dog would, wile they are out free ranging every day , so between these 2 black & white spotted cat, this is a pic of out house cat spot , sleeping on the job HA :lol: but truly i am grateful for all their help around here, so training your cat is the key..!:thumbsup
Sounds great! Cats are very useful to have, I have a whole herd of them. As long as they are not interested in your birds they are great to have.

YES SO TRUE A GOOD CAT CAN BE VERY HELPFUL AT KEEPING THE MICE DOWN & since we dont use any kind of poison around here just the electric traps, because chickens will eat any mouse they can catch, & since poisoned mice are wandering around & are easy to catch & we are not willing to take the chance with poison since our hens could possibly be eating a poisoned mouse, so the cats along with electric traps & also i might add snakes .!!! snakes also eat mice, so all 3 are are the best for our purpose of killing off the mice ,but the electric traps cost a pretty penny & the snakes & cats are free...HA
clap.gif
thumbsup.gif
& they also need a good home ,so a few weeks ago I had asked nature to send us another good cat to come hunt around here & help us out & so a wile ago this cat showed up,
clap.gif
so i am trying to keep him here & hope he will make this place his home , he is doing great around here, but i have to keep my house cat Spot from chasing him off, since we had 15 good cats here years ago & she ran them all off, so my fingers are crossed he will stay & i have been feeding him a good quality cat food & one that wont ever give him kidney stones,
smile.png
& tame or not im sooo gald we have his help...!!!
woot.gif
plus they do become friendlier with time & he spent the night next to my back door & hunting for mice all night long , so its all good...!!!
highfive.gif
smile.png
ain't nature great..!
thumbsup.gif
woot.gif

Last edited:
Actually, many cats will kill chicks and chickens. They are a very common predator. I personally do not particularly care for cats, I'm allergic and they don't seem as cuddly as dogs to me. I also wish people would keep them inside. They are one of the number one predators to wild bird populations. If kept inside, great, keep as many as you want, but once they're in my yard, they are considered a pest and treated as one. Not all cats will get along with birds, but if yours will, that's great! :) I think cats are beautiful, and some are great at catching mice, but they also catch other, more beneficial animals.

Regards,
Leaf

I am allergic to cats to ....lol.
big_smile.png
so i never pet the cats just talk nicely to them & just hope they will kill off the mice & if they do i am very happy to have them ; ) .
clap.gif
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
 I am allergic to cats to ....lol. :D so  i  never  pet the cats just talk nicely to them  &  just hope they will kill off the mice  & if  they do i am  very  happy  to have them ; ) .:clap :thumbsup

They do pretty well with that. Before I was "gifted" with my severe allergies, I had two cats, handsome toms. They would always bring me....presents. Rats were the mouser's favorites. Now if I even get near one I could end up in the ER. Not fun, but I'm just glad I have no problems with dogs. I could never live without huskies.... :love

Regards,
Leaf

o yes i know what you mean, Gosh i was allergic to all my animals as a child horses goats bunnies cats , but not my hairless dog, HA
big_smile.png
so years later im not that allergic to them if i dont pet them , since i have developed an even more deadly illness called MCS multiple chemical sensitivity, its the worst form of environmental illness & with one breath of perfume or any kind of personal care products , dryer sheets & more, & any of that can actually kill me in short order, so im happy to be away from it all & enjoying life on my happy Chicky farm
wink.png
thumbsup.gif
jumpy.gif
highfive.gif

My Cat is an epic hunter, but doesn't want a thing to do with the chickens. I've seen them all gang up with the ducks and chase her out of the coop. She had to scale a post to get away. We have ducks in with our chickens though, and they seem to act as an organizing point. The drake don't take no BS from a cat.

If it were just the chickens, I might be somewhat concerned, but the ducks are like the IRS. They're in everyones business and regulating without mercy.

Back
Top Bottom