Catahouligans!!!! Share your pics and stories!!!!!!!!! (catahoula leopard dogs)

We have three catahoulas. DH grew up in Louisiana and always wanted one. Our original 'houla, Bourbon, was a Katrina transplant. Now that DH manages a vet clinic, he scoops up every owner surrender catahoula he comes across.

Our newest, Evangeline, was surrendered to us just last weekend.

Bourbon is an excellent guard dog; he patrols our perimeter, ans is teaching the younger girls to do the same. I don't think we'll ever have another kind of dog
2665.png

So here it goes, my story. After having my dog for 13 years and having to put my best friend to rest. I was certain I was out of the dog game. I quickly realized that I was forever a dog person and rescued another. I stepped out of my box and targeted a red nose from local shelter. The day I brought her home at 3 1/2 months old she dismantled our Xmas tree. She is my new best friend, but I quickly realized she was missing something, a partner in crime. I stalked the local shelter websites. 3 weeks in our shelter got in a ton of pups. I went down to check on boxer mixes. I soon realized the little white dog with one blue eye was staying on my radar. I picked him up, and snuggled him and before I knew it other people were eyeballing me, that's when I knew I had to make a decision if I put him down he's gone forever. As you probably already know this cata what mixes name is tucker. Now I immediately realize how smart he is and before I know it he turns into a stubborn jerk. I'm a grad student so I realize how much excercise he is missing out on. Patients is key and he is a goofy, lovable, athletic pooch. Both dogs are best friends but what scares me is the day he figures out he can climb trees! He went for it one day but his ADD stopped him. He's the man though, they both rule, From snowmobiling to boating to camping and traveling these dogs are living the good life.

Here are our pups. They are right at a year now. Barked at our horses and the mini donks at first until they knew they should be there. Captured a neighbor's stray chicken without pulling a feather. They still chase the cats all over. I am scared they will catch one some day. Roux and Bayou are their names.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
New here, just wondering what ya'll think about my gal, Rosie. She was rescued as a wandering stray in Tennessee, and the shelter told me that they think she's a Treeing Walker Coonhound and Pointer mix. But the more I learn about Catahoulas, she seems to fit that description better. She's only 35 pounds, bays a whole lot, and has a very strong prey drive. What do you think??

I have a 5 month old catahoula, that's such a character! I was wondering if there were any other "catahouligans" out there that wanted to share stuff about their catahoulas! I will try to get a pic of her up soon!

Does a catahoula mix count? He is the one on the left!!!!

Last edited:

Here are my two fur babies! Molly is my chow mix girl who was our pound puppy. Jeter is my catahoula boy. He is learning to be accepting of strangers and especially men. He was a starving and very skittish young stray and after months of love and patience he decided to adopt me.

My husband and I are used to adopting older dogs that are indoor pets, but just moved onto some land and will be getting livestock that will need protecting. We decided to purchase a puppy from working parents who we could raise to be content living outside. We have an ACD/heeler we just love who is amazing with our animals, but she is getting up there in years and very clearly wants to spend her time around us and indoors. We were going to get another ACD from a breeder's working ranch dogs we've been eyeing for a few years now, but one of my coworkers brought a Catahoula puppy into work. My husband has been wanting a Cat for years, so we asked my coworker about the breeder and went to take a look at the puppies. We were pleased to see that the dogs were being raised outdoors and had jobs as all-around farm dogs (as opposed to just being hog dogs), and were very happy with the health, temperaments, and socialization of the dogs on the property. We kept coming back and eventually picked a male who radiated calmness while still being affectionate with people and the other pups. It is too early to tell how well he will grow into his role of farm protector, but we adore him already. For whatever reason, he reminds me a bit of a rottie in behavior and also energy levels. Maybe it is just because we are used to pure-stamina ACDs (and our old girl can run circles around him!). He has responded well to firm yet positive training and unlike our ACD, is willing and able to entertain himself outside. Fingers crossed that he will grow into a great all-around farm dog like his parents. :)
I wouldn't walk off that farm without one of those pups!!

My 7 month old catahoula named Rizzo. She is an absolute hand full and I love her with my whole heart and take her everywhere. She is the best thing that has ever happened to me and my girlfriend.

Back
Top Bottom