Cattle panels?

Well it might work for the chicks for a few weeks.
Are you a minor?

I sure hope so... We have plenty of room to build something though but no skills. Although I've been thinking of fencing in a section of the woods maybe but didn't know if that was possible. I figured it would be easy to wrap wire around trees.

And no, that's the other annoying part. I'm actually 21, will be 22 in March, but still live here. My brothers are 19 (will be 20 on December 21st) and 25 as of September so we're all plenty old enough. Although I don't drive. Well, I finally got my permit in July but no license. I took Drivers Education September to October but that's just classroom, I'm working on the driving. I need 12 and I've only had 2 so far but have more scheduled. But anyway, I don't get why they just decided but oh well

Apparently she told someone else to come look too so we might get another one. I don't think it's gone yet but we are going to TSC

My dad just called them and bought one, last one with Black Friday specials. We're going now. I appreciate the initiative I guess but I'm also kind of mad because I don't even know ANYTHING about it and I GUARANTEE it's way too small. I was hoping we were going to get hoops. Guess not.

sad.png
- your family will learn quickly that that cute new coop from TSC isn't going to hold that many chickens.

Too bad, the cattle panels are only $20 at TSC and 2 would build an 8x8 coop tall enough to stand in that WOULD be big enough. You'd still need a run, but the coop would be exponentially larger than what they are buying for less than 1/2 the cost - you'd still need to purchase chicken wire/HC, hardware and framing lumber. I built two hoop coops for less than $200 - prices will vary depending on what you need to use for hardware and extras. That cost didn't include my waterers or feeders - some of which I had, some of which I'm making now (much less cost than the purchased ones!). The nesting boxes could be built later so that they are outside or if inside you could add a 3rd hoop.

A run can be made either using the cattle panel hoops, a solid framed run or one of the "chunnels" someone else uses - they are quite nice!

Let us know how it goes! I have to admit, chicken owning is a learning process and a fun one. At least your whole family IS involved - that is AWESOME. Do you live in a town situation or out in the country?

Hope you and yours had a great Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Yeah it really is especially since turns out it's a kit which is probably just as much or more work. I will answer the rest when we get home or perhaps tonight or tomorrow since we have work to do for this thing. He said he'd help though like if it's not big enough that we'd figure something out so that's nice. We are already planning to expand at least the run as we have a dog kennel. We also have an old dog house we were going to get rid of but maybe will fix. I thought it was too far gone hence getting rid of it but I Realized the structure still seems solid, it's just a little chewed, and the floor is all rotted out and roof rotted/sagging but that's pretty easy to fix I think? It's only maybe 4×5 or 5×4, not sure which way and 5 feet high. I think there's less floor space inside but not sure but might make good addition to this to provide enough room with minimal effort and expense? But it won't match. I'm nervous about the bottom though as it's only resting on pavers and over the years the debris has built up so really it's not resting on anything, it is ground level or even minorly buried on all sides except the front where there is a space/hole because things live under there. S who knows how bad it is hah

:(    - your family will learn quickly that that cute new coop from TSC isn't going to hold that many chickens. 

Too bad, the cattle panels are only $20 at TSC and 2 would build an 8x8 coop tall enough to stand in that WOULD be big enough. You'd still need a run, but the coop would be exponentially larger than what they are buying for less than 1/2 the cost - you'd still need to purchase chicken wire/HC, hardware and framing lumber.  I built two hoop coops for less than $200 - prices will vary depending on what you need to use for hardware and extras.  That cost didn't include my waterers or feeders - some of which I had, some of which I'm making now (much less cost than the purchased ones!).  The nesting boxes could be built later so that they are outside or if inside you could add a 3rd hoop.

A run can be made either using the cattle panel hoops, a solid framed run or one of the "chunnels" someone else uses - they are quite nice!

Let us know how it goes!  I have to admit, chicken owning is a learning process and a fun one.  At least your whole family IS involved - that is AWESOME.  Do you live in a town situation or out in the country?

Hope you and yours had a great Thanksgiving.

Figured I'd answer now as we stopped at the bank and gas station so got the time.

Anyway, yeah, I hope they'll see but they also don't really know anything so may say it's fine. They're only just past 4 1/2 weeks though (5 weeks on Monday) so plenty of room to grow out and by then maybe we will be able to build or buy something else.

It's a kit though so have to put it together which I've heard kits can be a huge pain so it really is a shame. But better than what they have now.

If I did it I would probably build the run with cattle panels too and just make it one big thing or with a door between.

I'll definitely let you know though and yeah, I've learned so much already. I suppose it really is great, and lucky, they're now willing to help though. Before they weren't. We live in a town and one street of houses behind us and condos in front. We're set back in the woods. We have almost 3 acres but a lot of it is wooded.

And thank you, you too! We went to my uncle's which was fun.

I can't imagine wading thru the multiple people/opinions making this decision.......have lived alone for a long, long time.
Maybe it boils down to whoever's paying for it gets the final choice.

Back
Top Bottom