Cedar Creek Hatchery - KEEP AWAY!

Thanks ChuskaMtns!

I actually have others, I just did not want to start my flock off with stock from only 1 or 2 breeders. I wanted to be able to try different breeding combinations. Their website looked good, so I just thought I would give it a try... :(

I have been around chickens much of my life and done incubating, dealt with health scares, made late chick additions to mothering hens, understand how to check a bird for SOP flaws as well as know several common ones, and know some about how to deal with unruly roos. I just did not think that those CCH folk would run a business with threats and alienation tactics ... I actually assumed that they knew the eggs they sent were not good. That's why I tried to get my money back.

How do they stay in business?

I will never buy from a 'hatchery' without reading through ALL of the reviews before ordering again.

Lesson Learned!

Look at their page on Black Tailed Buff Marans: http://www.cedarcreekhatchery.com/French-Black-Tailed-Buff-Marans-1023.htm

They say this:

The BTB hens consistently lay the darkest eggs we have. Yes, even darker than the Black Copper's. They lay the darker eggs throughout more of their cycle than the other Marans.

Look at the picture below. The outer row of eggs are from some of my Black Coppers (not from Cedar Creek).

The 2 eggs in the middle are from Black Tailed Buffs I got from Cedar Creek. And for that matter, that's the DARKEST the Cedar Creek BTB's ever laid for me. The eggs lightened early in the cycle, and now they lay pale tannish-yellowish eggs.

I'm still trying to find some good BTB's. I do have several I got from a show breeder as day old chicks, but looks like only a couple of them are pullets. So I'm still looking.

Last edited:
Look at their page on Black Tailed Buff Marans: http://www.cedarcreekhatchery.com/French-Black-Tailed-Buff-Marans-1023.htm They say this: [COLOR=0000FF]The BTB hens consistently lay the darkest eggs we have. Yes, even darker than the Black Copper's. They lay the darker eggs throughout more of their cycle than the other Marans. [/COLOR] Look at the picture below. The outer row of eggs are from some of my Black Coppers (not from Cedar Creek). The 2 eggs in the middle are from Black Tailed Buffs I got from Cedar Creek. And for that matter, that's the DARKEST the Cedar Creek BTB's ever laid for me. The eggs lightened early in the cycle, and now they lay pale tannish-yellowish eggs. I'm still trying to find some good BTB's. I do have several I got from a show breeder as day old chicks, but looks like only a couple of them are pullets. So I'm still looking.
Whoa... that is quite a difference! It seems some breeds require long drives or making friends across the miles. I cannot find show quality stock for Dark Brahmas, Barnevelder, or Langshans right now. Although, I have a great lead for Langshans this fall and another for Brahmas next spring. I just didn't want to wait. :caf The wait is kicking my bottom! I guess with these things in mind the wait my be better after all! I will keep note of you wanting BTB, and should I come across any I will try to send you the info.

Holy smokes!! Now I know what these folks were doing earlier today when they didn't answer the phone. They must have been writing obscene (and horribly misspelled) e-mails to customers. Glad I saw this thread. I was about to order something from them. Thanks for saving me!!

BTW, anyone know of another place to get Lavender Orps? :/

Holy smokes!!  Now I know what these folks were doing earlier today when they didn't answer the phone.  They must have been writing obscene (and horribly misspelled) e-mails to customers.  Glad I saw this thread.  I was about to order something from them.  Thanks for saving me!!

BTW, anyone know of another place to get Lavender Orps?  :/

Ummm... how long can you wait? And how much are you willing to pay?
There is someone that posts on some of the Auction and Buy-It-Now Threads, but I have not noticed them in a while.

This is the website to BYC user TNBEARCHICK
http://adifferentchickfarm.com

I think there are 2 or 3 more that have pretty good reviews.

Holy smokes!! Now I know what these folks were doing earlier today when they didn't answer the phone. They must have been writing obscene (and horribly misspelled) e-mails to customers. Glad I saw this thread. I was about to order something from them. Thanks for saving me!!

BTW, anyone know of another place to get Lavender Orps? :/
Yep..I'm also a member of the "Burned by CCH" club, to my chagrin...but I'm over it for the most part.
My chick purchase budget this year went to Sunnyside Up Micro-Farm here in Ohio (Medina-north central). Pretty much polar opposite experience with Jill at Sunnyside Up. She's on the up and up...and she has beautiful birds.
I have a lovely trio of Lavender Orpingtons from her (and Chocolate Orps...Ameraucanas, and Light Sussex)...check out her website or Facebook page...

Yep..I'm also a member of the "Burned by CCH" club, to my chagrin...but I'm over it for the most part.  
My chick purchase budget this year went to Sunnyside Up Micro-Farm here in Ohio (Medina-north central).  Pretty much polar opposite experience with Jill at Sunnyside Up.  She's on the up and up...and she has beautiful birds. 
I have a lovely trio of Lavender Orpingtons from her (and Chocolate Orps...Ameraucanas, and Light Sussex)...check out her website or Facebook page...

I've looked into Sunnyside Up before they look great, always good to have good reviews to follow up the potential. They do not have the Dark Brahmas, but they do have Welsummers and Gold Laced Cochins.

Thank you!

My chick purchase budget this year went to Sunnyside Up Micro-Farm here in Ohio (Medina-north central). Pretty much polar opposite experience with Jill at Sunnyside Up. She's on the up and up...and she has beautiful birds.
Thanks! Just sent her an email. Fingers crossed :)

Holy smokes!!  Now I know what these folks were doing earlier today when they didn't answer the phone.  They must have been writing obscene (and horribly misspelled) e-mails to customers.  Glad I saw this thread.  I was about to order something from them.  Thanks for saving me!!

BTW, anyone know of another place to get Lavender Orps?  :/

Heirloom Orps are having a sale on eggs right now. They import their orps from England and have diverse bloodlines. Gorgeous birds!

Back
Top Bottom