Cedar Creek Hatchery - KEEP AWAY!

I did not have a good experience with them either. I ordered five Lavender Orpington day olds. I paid $10 for each chick and $35 for shipping. I took the day off from work on the day the chicks arrived at the post office and I got there as soon as they opened. This all took place September 2013. Upon receiving my package and opening it, one chick was already deceased. Cedar Creek had also included 3 of another kind of chicken that I did not even order. However the dead chick was one of the five that I wanted. I went ahead and signed for it because I thought that if I ended up with four it would be okay, as these were for my daughter's 4 H project and she really just needed 2 good ones, but was hoping for at least two girls as she wanted to take them as a pullet project. Got home with them and had the brooder box all set up with the correct temperature, in the garage, no draft and the proper food and water. The following day, another one died. Then a couple days later, all the yellow ones died. We ended up with one boy and one girl out of eight that lived. As the rooster has grown up and is now at the fair, he does not look like the Lavender Orpingtons that were pictured. He looks like a Cuckoo Lavender Orpington, which was not what we wanted. I did not complain, as their webpage stated the charge for replacement was $35 for shipping. I did not wish to pay $35 to replace dead chicks but felt that my $85 total for two surviving birds a bit extreme, considering the Lavender Orpington male does not even look like the ones pictured. I will not buy from them again.

I have Lavender Orps & Lavender Cuckoo Orps, paid twice as much for the Lavender Cuckoos. I did not get them from CCH, mine are Fancy Chick. After that experience I only get my orps from well known orp breeders, pricier yes, but quality & I'm getting exactly what I ordered, no bait & switch with the breeds I've been dealing with.
As I've said to in an earlier post - welcome to the Burned by CCH club.

This is my experience with Cedar Creek, I ordered 10 BCM hens, they arrived yesterday, The shipped 11 not 10 and 1 was DOA, so I got my 10, the chicks are very vigorous and active, they appear to be BCM, fully feathered shanks..

The only real issue I have with Cedar Creek is the response time on emails.. that is a bit slow, I understand they are not sitting at the computer waiting for emails to come in.. but a response within 24 hours would be nice..

Other than that, I had a generally good experience with them..

Just my POV.

Ken

This is my experience with Cedar Creek, I ordered 10 BCM hens, they arrived yesterday, The shipped 11 not 10 and 1 was DOA, so I got my 10, the chicks are very vigorous and active, they appear to be BCM, fully feathered shanks.. 

The only real issue I have with Cedar Creek is the response time on emails.. that is a bit slow, I understand they are not sitting at the computer waiting for emails to come in.. but a response within 24 hours would be nice..

Other than that, I had a generally good experience with them.. 

Just my POV.

Ken

Glad you had a positive experience, Ken! Perhaps they're changing their business practices? My email went unreturned for months so I am hoping all the negative feedback has made them rethink their business plan. I sincerely hate to see small family businesses fold when problems can be easily resolved by simply communicating with customers.
Having said that, I will remain one that will not do future business with CCH, having been burned
by them without so much as an apology.

I am so glad I saw this thread. I will not be buying from them. I was going to but I work too hard for my money to end up with nothing in the end.

I ordered 15 Cuckoo Marans from Cedar Creek in January 2014. They were advertised as French with feathered shanks. I got them in March. Three were DOA. 9 were copper marans, 1 was an easter egger and 2 are either dominiques or barred rocks (I can never tell those two apart.) I ended up with 1 Cuckoo Marans without feathered legs that is a Rooster. It was my fault for not researching them on this site but I'd like to add to the thread so others can avoid this experience.

I ordered 15 Cuckoo Marans from Cedar Creek in January 2014. They were advertised as French with feathered shanks. I got them in March. Three were DOA. 9 were copper marans, 1 was an easter egger and 2 are either dominiques or barred rocks (I can never tell those two apart.) I ended up with 1 Cuckoo Marans without feathered legs that is a Rooster. It was my fault for not researching them on this site but I'd like to add to the thread so others can avoid this experience.

They're so famous for bait-and-switch.

Also a not-so-proud member of the Burned by CCH club.

We ordered 6 chicks and paid extra for sexing. 2 BCM, 2 Lavender Orp & 2 Ameraucanas (Easter Eggers). They shipped 10, 3 arrived dead (we almost revived 1) less than 24 hours after they were dropped off @ MI PO.
When the chicks were 6 weeks old it was clear that we had 4 roosters and unknown breeds on them all. For sure none of them were Lavender Orpingtons or BCM. I emailed photos asking them what breeds they had shipped us and if they could confirm at that time that we had more than 50% roosters. I understood that they can't guarantee sexing but that seems like a pretty steep error margin on their part. I had much better luck on my straight run batch the month before. No answer to several requests.
What I do have after all is done, is 3 extremely expensive pullets. I am certain that 2 are the EE but the little white gal I still have no idea, wound up rehoming them to replace with what I originally ordered.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom