Cedar Park, TX ordinance against backyard chickens

I believe there are few problems in life that cannot be resolved with a few well-aimed blows.....
wink.png

There are actually two petitions, one only has 17 and one has more and I can't find it! After being at the city council meeting last week I believe the petition is not as effective as sending a personal email. I have all the city council and mayor's email address. We need to approach them from the point of one chicken does NOT need an acre of land! That is what we are trying to change. Chickens live in cages all over the world, which we all obviously hate and is why we have backyard chickens. But, a WHOLE acre?? Why can we have two or three dogs plus cats in our homes with small lots, but a little bitty animal needs so much land to own. Dogs make more stink and flies than a couple chickens! If we can get CP to change the ordinance that it is the RIGHT of a Cedar Park citizen to have chickens to lead a sustainable lifestyle providing for their families, then HOA bylaws cannot prohibit (I was told this, not confirmed yet) chickens. Until the mayor hears more people voicing the desire to have chickens he has tabled the request. The nuisance ordinance that covers smells, noise, trespassing animals that escape they enclosures, covers over 30 other municipalities that I have researched that allow for small flocks of chickens. Animal control will have less work if they are not called out for "evil chicken sightings (not noise problems)." Then can concentrate on barking dogs, dogs in packs, etc. This is all the email addresses to just copy/paste into your email box. Please send them a message! [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; THANK YOU!

Does your state have a "Right to Farm Act" like we do in Michigan? It supersedes all local ordinances. Imagine if you had a state license to carry a concealed weapon. Would you be expected to carry it until you reach the township/county in question, lock it in your trunk, and then retrieve it afterwards?...of course not! I hope this helps.

The Great Piscato

Thank you for your excellent question. I will research our right to farm here in Texas. Since this is a residential area, I don't know if it would hold water but certainly worth knowing.

As to your second point of being a concealed handgun carrier and would I stop at the city limits to put it in the trunk, YES you must remove your sidearm when entering a city that does not have reciprocity laws, unless you are just travelling through! Not only should you remove it to the trunk but it would need to be in a locked case. I may not agree with this law, but you do NOT want to be going through either Chicago or Evanston, IL with a handgun. Know your gun laws for different states to allow you safe passage on travels. Some states you better pull over to rest stops before entering. If you don't get stopped you won't be caught, but if you are for anything the fine just isn't worth it.

Chickens for Change in Cedar Park will again be at City Council tomorrow, Thursday Aug. 22 at 6:30 to speak. Anyone who can come and speak up with us to change the ordinance of changing the one acre requirement for having chickens. Seems crazy to allow my 178 lb Newfoundland and 85 lb. Standard Poodle to occupy such a small space if it is too small for one chicken! The mayor states he will shelve this request until more people show interest.
City of Cedar Park, Texas
450 Cypress Creek Road, Bldg #4
Cedar Park, TX 78613

Since we weren't on the agenda AND it was open house for many area schools, it was not a good outcome. Only one other person was able to make it to speak. We continue to be shelved until interest is shown. Two people doesn't imply "interest" by the citizens of Cedar Park. If you would like to support our group and use facebook, ask to join Chickens for change in Cedar Park. It is set up that one has to request, I'm an administrator and just click "join" when people want to. The next city council meeting we hope to have a lot of members/nonmembers in attendance to show interest! Thanks for asking.

There is going to be a Special session at Cedar Park City Council Sept 5 at 6:30. Chickens for Change has been campaigning for support, we got it, and NOW the city council is upset that we've jammed their email boxes!! The Mayor said shelved until interest shown, well he has been shown there is interest and now we have to stop campaigning to avoid alienation of those who can change this ordinance! What a circle. No matter which way we go it gets us no where.

A change of tact will be we will still want to pack the city hall with bodies, have a sign that supports "Verify the Facts" "3rd Party Research" etc. to avoid a vote where we know we will lose, we want them to allow a 3rd party fact finding project We have a speaker who is very articulate and we will all yield our time to him. He has already collected information from the CDC and realtors. The same person will spearhead the 3rd party group. All the facts sent to the council have probably been deleted before being read. It is not something they are even interested in so why bother. Having a 3rd party gather evidence supporting what we say, it won't devalue property and health and safety is impacted no more than from dogs and cats. They don't want to hear it from the masses, but if they hear it from a project group, we may have as good a chance of us getting rain. It does happen, sometimes. Anyone reading this who lives close to Cedar Park, if you can, come join us for a show of support. You won't need to speak.

Please let me know how this turned out. It is hard to understand why the city of Cedar Park does not allow or will not allow chickens in a backyard. The chickens are nowhere near others nor are they animals capable of pecking their way out of a fence; therefore, no disturbances or potential hazards. Please also let me know when the next meeting is.

Back
Top Bottom