Cedar Park, TX ordinance against backyard chickens

Please let me know how this turned out. It is hard to understand why the city of Cedar Park does not allow or will not allow chickens in a backyard. The chickens are nowhere near others nor are they animals capable of pecking their way out of a fence; therefore, no disturbances or potential hazards. Please also let me know when the next meeting is.

I suppose the council meeting could have gone worse as I started above to say then my computer went crazy and it posted itself, now I'll finish what I was wanting to say. Ultimately instead of being shelved it went to a committee in the zoning and ordinance department to research the facts. One lady held up a picture of her child and said HE IS WHO WOULD BE IMPACTED. The child had had heart surgery and she was afraid her child would get sick from birds in her neighbor's yard. Hmmm, if he washes his hands before eating or doesn't eat off the ground, I don't see how her child could ever get sick from the neighbor's chickens. It's fear mongerers like that who make it difficult to persuade the council to look at the FACTS of the issues. Salmonella is not airborne! If people have cats or dogs, the same feces issues come up, and if you have cats even worse as they get on beds and pillows, but does that come up? Anyone declaring war on cats? Of course not. Another person brought up that chickens bring in snakes, possum and raccoons. Small dogs make tasty snacks as well as cats, and open garbage cans are a raccoon'cs idea of an invite for midnight dinner buffet. Another man was concerned with the low fences in his neighborhood and having chickens running around. Duh, ever hear of a chicken run with 6' high walls? There are solutions, people just don't want to hear them. It is much like screaming "fire" in a movie theater, instead they scream "SALMONELLA" like it is on the move to get them. Bottom line, no vote yet and under investigation so a vote will be (hopefully) based on facts and not emotions and hysterical concerns blown out of proportion to reality.

Last edited:
PS: One of the concerns at the board meeting was how chickens will turn dogs into barking dogs causing an influx of animal control issues and even fill the docket with battling neighbors! My chickens have now been back a week, my Newfoundland and Poodle LOVE them and herd them in the yard. My new neighbor also has three dogs who after initial barking at something new at the fence line caused the chickens to back away and leave them alone, and the neighbor's dogs settled down after two-three days of checking them out. The neighbors have trained their dogs, weren't barkers to begin with so maybe that is the difference from prior toxic neighbor with beagles! Some dogs will bark at a snail moving across the patio. My big girls are now laying after a week of settling in and the babies are being protected by my dogs from the bigger hens who are trying to establish pecking order. Big Dog seems to be the rooster and has taken over the yard. I WILL feel much more secure once Cedar Park makes having a micro flock legal, and I realize if someone discovers me due to my comments and turns me in again, I will have to take my flock back to my daughter's coop. Good luck to all those who are fighting this same battle and reading threads to find ways to accomplish what I hope we in Cedar Park TX will soon accomplish!

Congrats on the progress thus far. I live a few blocks from City Hall and the police department in my small town. There are flocks of chickens all over town. Some one in the neighborhood has a rooster that I hear crowing. I have 28 hens that don't make a smell, noise or a nuisance in any way. The flock is composed of layers, young pullets and several old hens that will be butchered soon to make more room. I started with 2, then chicken math kicked in..........so many breeds.......so many colors! I also have 3 dogs, an Australian Shepherd, Great Pyrenees and a black Lab/Great Dane mix. I recognize that I am blessed.

Good luck in getting the mayor and city council to come to their senses and allow chickens!

Your post speaks to the concerns of many that dogs and chickens don't mix! I now have a third dog watching over my chickens. Amazing, he doesn't even chase them or bark at them. He's a rescue mix breed that fits in well with my Newfie. I only have six chickens as that is the limit there will be when I am legal so I don't want to press my luck! Both neighbors on either side are happy to be getting surplus eggs. Oh, one of the board members actually voiced a concern that there would be too many eggs and what would people do then? Really????
idunno.gif

Too many eggs?
th.gif
Has this goober ever heard of angel food cake? Egg custard? Crème Brulee? Deviled eggs? Pies? Cakes? Omlettes for supper?

shakes head in disbelief...........you sure have to deal with some super size dumbos............and they think us rednecks are stoopid.......
lau.gif

Exactly! Too bad there was not a way for anyone to respond to the board's comments after the speaker for each side spoke. A woman on the opposing side, who I have since learned has dogs, made it in the local paper due to her pleading that her son's health would be compromised if chickens were in her neighbor's yard because of a heart defect!!! Doesn't she have her child wash before eating? Her cooking technique will cause him more threat than her neighbor's hens! As the pro-chicken speaker pointed out, dogs and cats carry many more diseases and bacteria than chickens. Pro-chicken side presented facts; anti-chicken side presented feelings and personal agendas, they just don't LIKE chickens. My personal preference should not dictate what others can do. This is crazy here.
he.gif
I appreciate your support!
goodpost.gif

Ah! I just came across this thread and live in Cedar Park, too. I just learned this morning that chickens aren't legal- I was so surprised because so many people in our neighborhood DO have them! How disappointing. We don't let ours free range much at all because we have neighbors with dogs that have dug under our fence on more than one occasion. I would argue that barking and destructive dogs digging under the fence are MUCH more of an issue than my four girls who most people don't even realize are even here because they are so quiet! And the arguments for not allowing chickens are just weak. If you are taking good care of your chickens, it shouldn't even be a health/cleanliness issue. GRRRRR!

Back
Top Bottom