Chantecler Breeder and Owner Database Project

There is another thread here that is active also.

Re. the Sec putting down production aspects of the breeds is really shooting yourself in the foot as regards two breeds that were developed in Canada to be winter hardy production breeds. Puts it right in the 'duh!' category.

Maybe its time to start an Albertan Club?

There is another thread here that is active also.

Re. the Sec putting down production aspects of the breeds is really shooting yourself in the foot as regards two breeds that were developed in Canada to be winter hardy production breeds. Puts it right in the 'duh!' category.

Maybe its time to start an Albertan Club?

Jake sometimes things aren't always as they appear. If you haven't already I suggest you spend the $10 (the price of one chick) and join the club, the information available in the archived newsletters is well worth the money.

also not sure if you are aware of it but the show in Birchrun this fall will be the national show for the Chanteclers

I rarely come to BYC anymore, due to the fact that there is so much irrelevant gibberish that has very little value as relates to poultry keeping and anything of value related to quality breeding or production management.
That having been said, I am a member of Chantecler Fanciers International. The breeders listing is now available to all that would visit the web site as was stated above.
As relates to statements posted by "BlackHorseHill", the White Chantecler was developed as a dual purpose breed with heavy emphasis on winter hardiness and winter egg production. The Buffs and Partridge were developed elsewhere and with perhaps less focus on those factors?
The characterization of the individual by "BHH" I find to be somewhat misleading. In my experience he has been helpful and very knowledgeable in most aspects related to poultry keeping and genetic matters. He sells quality started stock for prices that are very reasonable in comparison to most. In fact I would venture to say that you can pay much more in the ads here and elsewhere for eggs or chicks from stock that is very inferior to his.
As to how someone would know about the letter referred to, the critical aspects of it were made public by the gentleman it was sent to. He did not identify who had sent it, but I believe that I now know the answer to that. He was not critical of the party that sent it and seemed to open the door for anyone to express similar concerns if they had them. I don't believe that anyone did.
I don't show poultry at this time, so I am not particularly interested in defending that as a worthwhile endeavor. It should be obvious to most that these breed clubs are very much focused on showing and breeding to the stated standards as exist in APA and ABA rules. That does not mean that Utilitarian characteristics are ignored, as they are of importance to all breeders of poultry.
The long term existence and health of these breed clubs is of necessity dependent upon the show people. They are the ones that are willing to invest the time and money to keep them going.
As relates to the Back Yarders, most of them are here today and gone tomorrow. It is not because I make such a statement, but is simply the facts as they exist.
As relates to censorship by site moderators, I believe that much more of that happens on other poultry sites than on the CFI site.

I rarely come to BYC anymore, due to the fact that there is so much irrelevant gibberish that has very little value as relates to poultry keeping and anything of value related to quality breeding or production management.
That having been said, I am a member of Chantecler Fanciers International. The breeders listing is now available to all that would visit the web site as was stated above.
As relates to statements posted by "BlackHorseHill", the White Chantecler was developed as a dual purpose breed with heavy emphasis on winter hardiness and winter egg production. The Buffs and Partridge were developed elsewhere and with perhaps less focus on those factors?
The characterization of the individual by "BHH" I find to be somewhat misleading. In my experience he has been helpful and very knowledgeable in most aspects related to poultry keeping and genetic matters. He sells quality started stock for prices that are very reasonable in comparison to most. In fact I would venture to say that you can pay much more in the ads here and elsewhere for eggs or chicks from stock that is very inferior to his.
As to how someone would know about the letter referred to, the critical aspects of it were made public by the gentleman it was sent to. He did not identify who had sent it, but I believe that I now know the answer to that. He was not critical of the party that sent it and seemed to open the door for anyone to express similar concerns if they had them. I don't believe that anyone did.
I don't show poultry at this time, so I am not particularly interested in defending that as a worthwhile endeavor. It should be obvious to most that these breed clubs are very much focused on showing and breeding to the stated standards as exist in APA and ABA rules. That does not mean that Utilitarian characteristics are ignored, as they are of importance to all breeders of poultry.
The long term existence and health of these breed clubs is of necessity dependent upon the show people. They are the ones that are willing to invest the time and money to keep them going.
As relates to the Back Yarders, most of them are here today and gone tomorrow. It is not because I make such a statement, but is simply the facts as they exist.
As relates to censorship by site moderators, I believe that much more of that happens on other poultry sites than on the CFI site.
As another has said, things are not always as they appear.

I believe that the Buckeye people have formed 2 different clubs because of this very type of division amongst its breeders. It is very common for breeds to splinter off into other clubs or groups because of major differences of opinions. I have around 40 years experience with different types of animals, most dual purpose, and have seen this come and go among them all. I've shown dogs and horses and the level of arrogance among the show people can often be astounding. That is what I was trying to tell the secretary - it was intended to be information, nothing else, as to why people were not re-upping their memberships.

If you had belonged to CFI since its inception, you would have noticed a lot of censorship over time. It is precisely why a lot of people have left never to return, not because they have given up on the breed, but because of a lack of support for different points of view.

I'm not sure why you think BYC is frivolous. People come from all sorts of backgrounds, many, many of them new to poultry and animal breeding in general. Everyone has to start somewhere, and calling what is to many people enjoyable conversation is a bit arrogant as well. Why not be a mentor?

I did not write that BYC is frivolous. What I did write is that there is " so much irrelevant gibberish that has very little value as relates to poultry keeping and etc". You referenced it yourself in the above post. I don't show any longer, and I keep birds for practical reasons. In addition I enjoy the challenge of breeding to standard for improvement and in some cases for color variety development. I have Black Chanteclers and Buff Columbian Chanteclers and Blue Buff Columbian Chanteclers. I do not generally sell or swap birds, and I am very adverse to those that want to develop to market color varieties that are not of quality and do not breed true. The prices that some are asking and many unsuspecting novices are paying is unethical and nonsense.
I have never had a live chicken in my house (other than a chick) and have never held one on my lap to pet it.
I do not condemn anyone for coming to BYC. There is much information of value here for a novice. I do not look down my nose at individuals due to their ignorance of facts, but I do find certain behavior and writing to be of little or no value from my point of view.
Each individual has their own perspective about things, and although I may not always agree with it I attempt not to condemn it.

Thanks for the info on the Birch Run show, I didnt realize it was a national show, so I am sure John Blehm will be there and showing. I will put it on my calendar.

I have been keeping and breeding chickens for over 50 years, for the keeping its over 60 years, and I pick up new info on BYC weekly, but its not from following one thread only.

Yes, there are what look like foolish threads, but, 60 years ago I would have treasured being able to read such. We need to cut a lot of slack for newbies who post, we were such once too.

I appreciate the input on BYC, and the links to National Organizations.

I will be joining the national Chantecler organization, we need to belong to and support the associations of our breeds. I donot like the focus of the breed orgs on shows, but, frankly the shows are the best advertising available to breeds, the problem that I see with shows is they concentrate on looks and not production factors which have little show value.

I am working with four breeds of full size chickens this year, and I will be comparing them in egg production, and meat production, as well as hardiness and temperament. NO show value traits although all four are attractive breeds. My interest is in breeds that are hardy in my northern MI climate and produce well as home flock/homestead breeds.

I do want to add the White Chantecler next year, as well as another, probably the Rose Comb Rhode Island Red, my grandmothers breed that I was introduced to over 65 years ago. I am hoping to introduce other youngsters to all of my breeds this year and in years to come, and maybe some of them will show up here to question, and to contribute.

Happy Hatching Season to all !

Jake

Hey Jake What four breeds are you working with?
Right now I am focusing on Chanteclers and Ameracunas,

I think I would like to add either Ixworths or Bresses I also have really enjoyed the Welsummers in my starter flock. I also like the idea of having a white egg layer maybe a pea comb Arucana? I know I really have to narrow it down to just two or three breeds but I am willing to take a few years to decide what those breeds will be.

Would it be a big no no to breed my Chanteclers more towards having a white egg?

I got 12 Chantecler chicks last summer from Fayrehal Farm in VT, nine of those were roosters! of the remaining three females and the one rooster I kept for breeding I have 15 eggs under a broody hen and 17in the home incubator and 11 chicks that just came from John in Birch Run Michigan? So of this years hatch I plan to keep the most robust and biggest rooster, of the females I am not sure what I am looking for. I know to pick my more frequent egg layers but what is this pelvic keel ratio and where do I find out more about it.
Thanks

i raise a mixed flock of all different breeds i just got into making them pure bred and breeding .. i am working with only silkies right now i have a partridge chantecler only on i want to get one more a hen so i can put them away for breeding ... i have barred rocks , silkies , australorps , millie fleurs , one partridge chantecler , old english game bantam , a couple of unknown bantams , some unknown roosters , i don't have all my birds to build on and work on i have some i do then my others are just there to be there ... i would like to start getting roosters and hens of the same breed to put two away and breed them to work on them .. i am only 15 to and i do all the work my self breeding selling buying making money for my birds i find it really fun and enjoyable to work with these amazing little animals oh and i oh most forgot my cranky mottled houdan rooster .. is there anyone else in canada around nb i would like to get people and work on breeds with me i am gonna start my experiment soon it will be a cross bred but i am only doing it out of curiosity but i think it might work but i don't know

You might need slightly more hens to go with your roosters. If you only have one hen for each rooster the rooster will really harass the hen and she could get stressed out. The roosters like having a bit of a flock generally you want about ten hens to one rooster. I live in Vermont. good luck finding folks closer to where you live who want to work on breeding with you.

well with my silkies all i need to do is put one hen and one rooster and their fine ... i know a breeder who only puts one hen and one rooster together and they do fine but my partridge chantecler rooster is the alpha rooster so i don't know if it would be good if i bring him away from the flock then if i put him back out he would fight a lot ... but he is my little baby i can hold him and he will come up and sit on my lap and eat treats out of my hand .. i don't know if it would hurt the hens or not but he has really sharp spurs on him .. would this hurt the hens to bad or ?? well the only spot i can put my birds for breeding is a 4x8 area but its split down the middle so its only 4x4 pen so i can't have a bunch of them in one pen and if i let them out to free range out with the others bird my other roosters will mate with them and i wont be bale to have pure breds

Back
Top Bottom