Chantecler Thread!

Pics
Quote:
Chanteclers do alright in warmer temperatures, you just have to give them some shade, where they can cool off some.

Yes, that was an old post- I've been through a brutal summer with 80% humidity, and they did fine. They were quick to get their wings up when it got toasty, but did as well as the other 18 breeds...

I'm happy with the way they wintered, too. Good breed.

Quote:
Thanks redman34, that description helps. Also thanks for the reason why pinched in the back is a fault. It always helps me to know the functional reason behind the standards.

Just my two cents, but "pinched" is generally used to define a tail that is best described visually as looking pinched at the tip. Here is a link from the Dominique Thread with some examples: Pinched vs Not Pinched.

The boyfriend found on page 30 of the SOP, under Cutting for Defects - Breed Shape (tail section): "Pinched or gamey in all breeds except Modern games,
Cornish and Malayans is a .5 to 2 point cut."

Either way, our Chantecler's problem is that he has to much narrowing from his broadest point to tail - but he is already in a breeding pen that will hopefully throw some deeply built birds.

SOP standard for Chanteclers, under Shape, about their backs (for males in this instance, but apply ultimately to both sexes): "Long, broad its entire length, curving sharply into tail." I am however very aware of my cockerels Dominique looking back.

Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif
I guess he doesn't like his picture taken too much hehe
he is absolutely gorgeous, I would guard him with my life, wish you were closer I would love some of his babies...........

Thanks.
smile.png
Yeah, he goes NOWHERE! LOL

Quote:
From what I know of these birds, and taking into consideration he is only a cockerel: he looks great. I'm sure he will fill out just fine.

On another note: I'm jealous
droolin.gif

Yeah needs a little more size. Remember they have Cochin in them so they should be Breasty.
This is my guy about the same age as yours accoring to the spurs.

IMG_5235.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to post updated pictures of our breeding stock. I have seperated them now until after the show season.

IMG_5284.jpg

IMG_5290.jpg

And heres a little one who thinks he's an Ameraucana lol

IMG_5263.jpg

A few weeks ago we traded some Buff Chantecler eggs for some White Chantecler eggs. Sadly only one hatched. Would anyopne else consider a trade? We have various breeds we are willing to trade with. Most are in our signature below.

Back
Top Bottom