Chasing peacock!!

tweddle

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 1, 2014
Hi all, I'm pretty new to the world of peacocks and need some advice. I have 2 pied hens and 1 Indian blue male in my flock. Being in australia we are in spring so breeding has been happening. I also have a small flock (7) guinea fowel to help with snakes. I noticed this morning that my peacock was chasing one of the guinea fowel didn't take too much notice but later noticed it still happening. The poor guinea fowel has been getting chased ALL DAY! The only time it gets relief is when my peacock needs a rest. He then singles it out of the guinea flock and starts chasing again! It's pretty warm here this time of year and I'm a little concerned they may overheat. Why is he chasing just the one guinea and should I be actively making him stop?? Thanks in advance!!

Hey @KsKingBee this one's for you!

And welcome, @tweddle , glad to have you here! Good luck with your peas (and guineas).

Last summer I had the **** guineas run off one of my IBBS cocks.
somad.gif
So it can go both ways, I'd be happy that the Peacock is still around to chase the Guineas. My curiosity is whether the Guinea is male of female? Pea either wants to chase off the competition or mate with his hens. You start making Peaineas there are a couple of folk here that want some.
roll.png

I doubt they will overheat, guinea fowl are native to some pretty rough and hot areas and by nature during mating season guineas will run around like idiots chasing each other as well...

I'm guessing it's just the pea fighting for the 'alpha' position for mating season...

Beyond isolation of one of them. I doubt there is much you can do...

Last year we had a pair we called Mutt and Jeff, probably a mated pair of cocks.
idunno.gif
They would play 'Tag' all day long. They would take turns chasing each other round and round in figure eights and up over the coop and always at full speed. They are the absolute goofiest bird I have ever had.

I doubt they will overheat, guinea fowl are native to some pretty rough and hot areas and by nature during mating season guineas will run around like idiots chasing each other as well...

I'm guessing it's just the pea fighting for the 'alpha' position for mating season...

Beyond isolation of one of them. I doubt there is much you can do...

It's been my experience that Guineas will run around like idiots chasing each other whether it is breeding season or not. However, I have only 3 of them and they are all boys... so they may just be Extra Extra frustrated!
gig.gif

Wow thanks for all the responses and advice! The peacock was being a real bully but as I found one of his hens on the nest today I think it explains his over aggressive behavior! Hopefully tomorrow they will all be back to living in harmony!

Back
Top Bottom