mystery illness not responding to treatments

That's great I hope he gets better. I'm literally paranoid about my peafowl if I see something different I worry a lot.
Thanks, I really hope so too. Yeah, I'm so paranoid about the others now. I've always been so careful and I watch them so closely that I always thought if anything happened I'd catch it quickly enough. This has been such a shock. Every day I'm just so nervous in case I see another one droopy.

Do you have a good vet where you are? I've had a couple of really bad experiences with the vets here. I'd travel if I thought there was a good enough option.

The feed he is now eating on his own, is it dry or moist?
It's mostly moist. He has a choice of wet mash with peanut butter, wet mash with nothing added, scrambled egg, fresh greens, a variety of nuts, sunflower seeds, berries, fruit, defrosted shrimp and some soaked grains. It's been mostly the peanut butter wet mash, scrambled egg and fresh greens he's been eating a lot of.

Since his crop started having food in it in the afternoon, I haven't been able to get as much into him anyway. I've been continuing with the full amount of fluids in the morning and giving him less later in the day. Then he started drinking his water on his own so I've added electrolytes to that as well.

I was thinking of just giving him the one round of fluids first thing and then leaving him alone to see if he responds well to that. Do you think that's ok?

It's mostly moist. He has a choice of wet mash with peanut butter, wet mash with nothing added, scrambled egg, fresh greens, a variety of nuts, sunflower seeds, berries, fruit, defrosted shrimp and some soaked grains. It's been mostly the peanut butter wet mash, scrambled egg and fresh greens he's been eating a lot of.

Since his crop started having food in it in the afternoon, I haven't been able to get as much into him anyway. I've been continuing with the full amount of fluids in the morning and giving him less later in the day. Then he started drinking his water on his own so I've added electrolytes to that as well.

I was thinking of just giving him the one round of fluids first thing and then leaving him alone to see if he responds well to that. Do you think that's ok?
I would restrict the hard to digest food like nuts and seeds, soaked seeds are ok. You are supplying a good variety and he somehow knows which feeds are good for him. Watch closely the amount of feed and measure the water intake, as a full crop may deter him from eating as much. Krill oil and probiotics will help heal the digestive system.

I would restrict the hard to digest food like nuts and seeds, soaked seeds are ok. You are supplying a good variety and he somehow knows which feeds are good for him. Watch closely the amount of feed and measure the water intake, as a full crop may deter him from eating as much. Krill oil and probiotics will help heal the digestive system.
Thanks so much. That's great advice.

I just wanted to update and say thank you so much @casportpony and @KsKingBee. The support and advice you both give on here is so valuable and I know I'm not the only one who really appreciates it. I couldn't have got through this without your help and I'm so grateful for what I've learned. My peacock is doing so much better and I know it's the fluid therapy that saved him.

Not long after my last post I started seeing normal droppings, including cecal. He has taken a long time since then to start looking less droopy but he's finally keeping his wings up for most of the day now. He's eating and drinking plenty and acting stronger every day. He can get onto most of the roosts. He still can't quite make it up to the highest roost but he does try and is getting closer. He's too hard to catch now, which is obviously a good sign, but I just hope he keeps improving on his own and doesn't regress.

I'm anxiously watching all of them and hoping no more come down with whatever it was. We do have another really cold spell coming up now so I'm nervous because it was during the last cold spell that this started but that may have been a coincidence. My husband has been researching microscopes and has narrowed it down now so we'll hopefully be ordering one this week.

Excellent news! thanks for the update. Don't make the mistake I made on my first scope, be sure to get one with a moving platform. It might be called a table but moves the slide in four directions, Had I known we were going to do so many exams I probably would have gotten one with a viewing screen.

Excellent news! thanks for the update. Don't make the mistake I made on my first scope, be sure to get one with a moving platform. It might be called a table but moves the slide in four directions, Had I known we were going to do so many exams I probably would have gotten one with a viewing screen.
Thank you, I'll make sure he looks for that. Which scope are you using now?

Back
Top Bottom