Chattanooga, TN (surrounding areas) CHICKEN LOVERS

Is there any poultry clubs or groups around the area my son is 14 and daughter 7 it would be nice to have something like this for them to be apart of ...let alone I'd enjoy doin it was them

Hi everyone. I've been lurking around for awhile but finally made an account. I live in Hixson and have 4 chickens, 3 quail, and random other non-chicken critters. I bought 4 Easter Egger pullets from Stockdales, and am pretty sure one is now a rooster that I am going to have to rehome. I've been looking through all the posts on here for hen/rooster identification as well as anything local, and hopefully am going to the Delano Mennonite Farm on Saturday for some veggies and maybe a chicken or two. If anyone has information on that farm/sale, please let me know as I'm not finding much information at all.

Hi everyone. I've been lurking around for awhile but finally made an account. I live in Hixson and have 4 chickens, 3 quail, and random other non-chicken critters. I bought 4 Easter Egger pullets from Stockdales, and am pretty sure one is now a rooster that I am going to have to rehome. I've been looking through all the posts on here for hen/rooster identification as well as anything local, and hopefully am going to the Delano Mennonite Farm on Saturday for some veggies and maybe a chicken or two. If anyone has information on that farm/sale, please let me know as I'm not finding much information at all.

Welcome aboard! While I don't know anything about the Mennonite sale, friends have bought all sorts of stuff at it through the years. That said, there's a lady who breeds chickens and other birds who is also in Delano. Very cool operation. If you get on Craigslist and look up Delano chicks, you'll find her.

The Delano Mennonite farm market sells animals only on the last Saturday of the month, cash only as they do not have power. They start at 9 am and there is a line, by 10 am almost all the chickens are gone. No NPIP there, but I got my beautiful 10 Rhode island reds and 10 barred rocks there 2 years ago, they are great birds. The poultry lady is just before the market, on the left, sells days old chicks-5 or 6 breeds, quail, some keets and pheasants- all they all look healthy and happy little zippy balls of fuzz. oh and the product is well worth my drive from Chattanooga.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. We're going for the veggies and a fun day trip anyway, but I thought it may be nice to come home with a couple new hens. (Especially since I may not even see eggs this year.) I'm not sure how feasible that will be since I cannot have any roosters (already sad that I'm losing one of my raised babies because he's a boy) and therefore can't get any straight run fuzzy butts. I'm going to put a big dog carrier in the car just in case, since you never know. I found the PoultryLady's website and sent a message in case we have time to go visit. I wanted chickens for years after growing up in the country, and finally got some this year but I haven't seen anything other than the fuzzies at TSC or Stockdales, so just checking out new breeds will be fun.

I have 11 chicks that hatched out Thursday and Friday (July 14 & 15) and they're ready to find new homes.

They're mutts.

That said, the hens that laid the eggs include black Orpingtons, barred rocks, Easter eggers, Americana, red game, and Rhode Island reds. The fertilizing roosters were also a variety. So...there's no telling what these li'l things will turn out to look like. I got the eggs from someone on Craigslist, who sells hatching eggs. She told me they have great success with the eggs, and after hatching out 11 of 12, I'd agree.

They're being sold as straight run. Quite a few have feathers starting to poke out from under their wings, so if you think that means hens, you're in luck! But I make no promise about any of them being male or female. I only promise they are real-life chickens.

They're $2 each, but if you buy all 11, I'll give 'em to you for $20. That's right - one chick absolutely free!

I have 11 chicks that hatched out Thursday and Friday (July 14 & 15) and they're ready to find new homes.

They're mutts.

That said, the hens that laid the eggs include black Orpingtons, barred rocks, Easter eggers, Americana, red game, and Rhode Island reds. The fertilizing roosters were also a variety. So...there's no telling what these li'l things will turn out to look like. I got the eggs from someone on Craigslist, who sells hatching eggs. She told me they have great success with the eggs, and after hatching out 11 of 12, I'd agree.

They're being sold as straight run. Quite a few have feathers starting to poke out from under their wings, so if you think that means hens, you're in luck! But I make no promise about any of them being male or female. I only promise they are real-life chickens.

They're $2 each, but if you buy all 11, I'll give 'em to you for $20. That's right - one chick absolutely free!

They're mutts.

Sold

I've got a few birds that I need to rehome and I'm hoping someone on here can give them a great home or know of someone that can.

Echo is a 16 week old Easter Egger rooster that was supposed to be a girl and of course was not, and is now illegal for me to own. I've had him since he was one day old (birthday 4/3/16) and he's a friendly healthy deep red with green tail, green legs, and poofy cheeks. He's got 2 girlfriends that he's very nice to and lets them boss him around, so he's not dominant at all. Hasn't started crowing yet, but I'm trying to find him a new home before he does, and don't want him to become someone's stew. :-( If I put him on Craigslist I'll ask $20 for him, but I'm more interested in a good home than money. He's the deep red on the far right in the pic attached, in which he's about 12 weeks old. I will upload a more current pic later if needed.

I've got 4 6-week-old male Cotournix quail that also need a home. They are friendly, healthy, know how to drink from water bottles and love playing in wood shavings. I had to get straight run babies and am only interested in producing eggs to eat, and ended up with 4 males that are super cute but not wanted by the girls they just became interested in. Prefer someone that can take all 4 quail at once, $10 for all 4 or best offer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom