Chattanooga, TN (surrounding areas) CHICKEN LOVERS

Hello Chattanooga Chicken Lovers!

I have 3 to 4 week old chickens right now in the house.
With the temps only getting down to the lower 60s/upper 50s, would it be ok to put them outside full time now in their coop?

We currently keep them out in a run during the day, but they arent in the coop yet.
First time raising chicks, its been fun so far. Cant wait to start getting eggs.

Is it too early to let them free range? I worry about hawks or something, they are still pretty small, but feathers are coming in nicely.

I've read conflicting advice on here from people in colder climates than we have here in TN, so id like some advice from local people on what they do and the age the put their chicks outside permanent.

I got them from the place in Soddy that someone posted a few posts up. Beautiful birds. Got a pair of golden laced wynndottes, rhode island reds, barred rocks and speckled sussex.
We did lose one of the wynndottes a couple days after bringing them home but the rest are doing very well and growing nicely. I would definitely recommend them. They seemed very knowledgeable and friendly. They also sell everything you need to get started at cheaper prices then you could get at the store.

Thanks for the advice!

~Nick

Hello Chattanooga Chicken Lovers!

I have 3 to 4 week old chickens right now in the house.
With the temps only getting down to the lower 60s/upper 50s, would it be ok to put them outside full time now in their coop?

We currently keep them out in a run during the day, but they arent in the coop yet.
First time raising chicks, its been fun so far. Cant wait to start getting eggs.

Is it too early to let them free range? I worry about hawks or something, they are still pretty small, but feathers are coming in nicely.

I've read conflicting advice on here from people in colder climates than we have here in TN, so id like some advice from local people on what they do and the age the put their chicks outside permanent.

I got them from the place in Soddy that someone posted a few posts up. Beautiful birds. Got a pair of golden laced wynndottes, rhode island reds, barred rocks and speckled sussex.
We did lose one of the wynndottes a couple days after bringing them home but the rest are doing very well and growing nicely. I would definitely recommend them. They seemed very knowledgeable and friendly. They also sell everything you need to get started at cheaper prices then you could get at the store.

Thanks for the advice!

~Nick

I put mine outside permanently in the coop/run at 1 month old. I wouldn't let them free range yet though.

Base you decision on temperatures at night, or have a heat in a area they can get to in case they need to warm up until fully feathered around 8 weeks. They need to be big enough to free range that they can't go though your fencing and too big for snakes or cats to eat. Plenty of spaces to get under shade or bushes for protection.

Last edited:
Can someone give me info of when the Delano Tn. Sale is? I'm in rock spring Ga. And would love to go but can't seem to find out much about it. I was told it was on the fourth weekend of the month but I haven't been able to confirm that. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Thefeatheredone
I believe the baby animal days are the last Saturday of the month. The market is open Monday-Saturday.

http://m.yelp.com/biz/delano-community-farm-market-delano

Do you know about Delinda's Homestead Poultry which is located in Delano--close to the market but not connected with it. She has baby chickens, pheasants, turkeys, guineas, and quail for sale. I have not been there this year, but in the past, she has had a lot of different fowl for sale. If you want her phone number email me and I will give it to you.

Went to Homestead last week for the first time. She's super sweet and has some gorgeous birds! I actually want to go back again just to look at her whole operation. Lots of breeds, great prices, cool place.

I am in McMinnville, TN. We just got into chickens this year. My 5 year seemed so drawn to them and ducks that we seen at different places this year with her school and at the fair. She would just sit and hold and talk to the baby chicks forever. Several different times she was asked if she had chicks and that she was a natural from different people. When her older sister called and said she heard peeping at Tractor Supply and wanted to get Kenz chicks for Easter, somehow, "Do they have ducks too?" came out of my mouth.
She checks on them as soon as she wakes up, as soon as she gets home from school and until dark at night. She plays with them inside and out. She brings one - or 2 if its one that needs a friend (the ones that chirp without a friend) to bed with her at night. I take it back out when she falls asleep. She pushes them around in her stroller and shopping carts and everything. She even talks daddy into babysitting if she needs to go to the bathroom or something quick. They still let her do all this now that some are going on 12 weeks old. I knew she loved them but had no idea she would love them as much as she does. 2 of her older brothers pretend to not like them but I catch them checking on them regurely. The 17 year old told his dad last week he is going to have ducks when he moves out and maybe chickens.
We have 5 Easter eggers, 3 frizzeled cochins, 3 silkies and 3 ducks. I am finishing up my 4th coop hopefully today to keep the breeds seperate... or at least the roosters away from the other breeds of hens when they are older.
I would love to meet with others to see how they have their systems set up. The more I learn about chickens the more I love them.

I am in McMinnville, TN. We just got into chickens this year. My 5 year seemed so drawn to them and ducks that we seen at different places this year with her school and at the fair. She would just sit and hold and talk to the baby chicks forever. Several different times she was asked if she had chicks and that she was a natural from different people. When her older sister called and said she heard peeping at Tractor Supply and wanted to get Kenz chicks for Easter, somehow, "Do they have ducks too?" came out of my mouth.
She checks on them as soon as she wakes up, as soon as she gets home from school and until dark at night. She plays with them inside and out. She brings one - or 2 if its one that needs a friend (the ones that chirp without a friend) to bed with her at night. I take it back out when she falls asleep. She pushes them around in her stroller and shopping carts and everything. She even talks daddy into babysitting if she needs to go to the bathroom or something quick. They still let her do all this now that some are going on 12 weeks old. I knew she loved them but had no idea she would love them as much as she does. 2 of her older brothers pretend to not like them but I catch them checking on them regurely. The 17 year old told his dad last week he is going to have ducks when he moves out and maybe chickens.
We have 5 Easter eggers, 3 frizzeled cochins, 3 silkies and 3 ducks. I am finishing up my 4th coop hopefully today to keep the breeds seperate... or at least the roosters away from the other breeds of hens when they are older.
I would love to meet with others to see how they have their systems set up. The more I learn about chickens the more I love them.

This sounds awesome! She goes to sleep with them? Hahahahahaha!!!!

And unless you plan to breed and want purebred chicks, I wouldn't sweat keeping one type of rooster separate from hens of another breed. Then again, if you have a rooster for each breed, separate is probably best. Welcome aboard!

welcome-byc.gif

Hello neighbor.... check out the middle Tennessee thread its a little more active than this one.

Back
Top Bottom