Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Well hello everyone. Yes I've been away for a long time. Where do I start OMG?
In December 2017 my parents were in a bad accident. Although they had many health concerns they were very stable and very independent. The accident started their decline. My fathers was under control for kidney and congested heart failure both connected issues.His health deteriorated and from Dec 2017 until I retired in December 2019 I had him to the hospital 23 times. Sometimes by ambulance. His stays were everything from many hours in ER to 3, 5, 6, 10-14 days until they got his congested heart failure (fluids) under control. I really wanted to wait until 2020 to retire but they needed me.
In 2020 Dad and I had many more trips to the ER and Dr appointments, dad's kidneys stopped working and he had to start Dialysis. We had to sell their home and liquidate everything they gathered over 65 years of marriage. We moved them into an apartment.
March 2021 Dad ended up with 2 stents and a pacemaker defibrillator. September 2021 Dad broke his hip got home for 5 days and broke it again. He left the hospital Dec 23/2021. Dialysis 2-3 times a week depending how he felt was his life.
2022 was more of the same. We were fortunate and thankful they qualified for in home care with cleaning etc. Our Provincial Medical Care was fantastic. Several times a month Extramural nursing and Physio visited them to meet their needs.
2023 was the beginning of the end First my mother was diagnosed with poor circulation and was ready to loose her leg but her Vascular surgeon opened up the circulation and all her open leg wounds cleared up after many months.
A month later dad was afflicted with the very same thing. On June 14/2023 he entered the ER where a CT scan revealed the blockages in his leg and sadly Liver cancer. To shorten this story after months of suffering with open wounds on his legs, catching Covid in the hospital and beating it I held a bed pan for him while he vomited for 3 days. On Thursday evening and Friday morning September 28&29/2023 My wife held his had all night while I went home to sleep, My wife called me and told me You father says he is dying today and he wants for here to tell you. We had great conversation I listened to his every word. I even recorded videos of his last bits of wisdom. He went to palliative care after assuring everyone who would listen he was done and was dying today! He passed away on September 30/2023. He is missed by all.
Backing up to April 2023 my mother and father were deemed by their medical providers to require nursing care 24 hours. August 14/2023 a room in their first choice home became available but sadly Dad was in the hospital and was never able to join his wife of 69 years. Mother came down with Covid(we did not know) in the nursing home we took her to see dad the night before and the day he passed. Unwittingly mother passed Covid to my wife, myself and my sister In-law and my sister. We couldn't attend the funeral, Thankfully 4 of my siblings were there from out of town. My sister and I watched from the car at the cemetery.
Mom was settling in to the nursing home routine and we took her on outings to appointments shopping and lunches. She missed her man but couldn't go to the cemetery. Mom was taken to the ER and with a infection and Pneumonia and died 10 days later on March 14/2024. I believe it was 166 days they were apart but now are together again.
If it sounds I was living in a dream it was more of a nightmare but I have no regrets, I did everything a son could have done. Remember if you love someone TELL THEM! If you've done something you regret make it right.

So whats good in my life everything I have 2 beautiful Granddaughters that make me smile. I have a over wintered my first honey bee hive and I'm about to make some splits from it. Woohoo yesterday I picked up 6 Bovan brown pullets, what's not to love about that?
I say thank you for reaching out with this post. Your timing is spot on.
Losing both your parents so close together is tough. :hugs Enjoy your granddaughters, they grow SO fast!

Not posting much but still enjoying the chickens. We currently have 14 that are almost a year old, 6 black sexlinks that are 6 weeks old (our first time with them but so far we really like how hardy and calm they are) and we have 16 chicks coming next week. However I forgot what I ordered so it will be a surprise!
Baby chick time, 🐤 enjoy all those babies!

Hello Everyone! Thanks for checking in with me. I haven’t had any issues lately I needed to get advice on so I haven’t been around as much. I have been keeping busy with our layers as usual. Last weekend we picked up our first batch of broilers for the year.
That's super exciting and glad you're back around BYC!! :love

Same here, lost 3 of 23 this past winter to illness, each a few weeks apart but in each case there was a clear wheezing and congestion and despite trying a few meds and remedies each was gone within a few days of symptoms starting. They're really good at hiding they aren't well until it's too late. One was our girl petunia, a blue splash that lost an eye to a fight a few days after her group of 6 joined the older gals in the coop. She toughed it out and ended up being the biggest hen we had despite having one eye, having to learn to tilt her head back and forth to judge distances for getting up and down from perches, and being targeted regularly by the others. In the process of adding a large fenced + cover-netted mini-pasture area off the enclosed run so they can get out and into the sun and graze some. Hoping that makes it easier since they need to be kept secure due to predator pressure. Hawks nest in the trees out back and we've "removed" 8 raccoons in 3 years!
Glad to hear you have a tough hen and hope she gets better!! We've got an issue with something around here we think but even despite cameras we're not sure. We all try hard to keep our chickens safe and happy and you're doing great!! :hugs

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hey all! We got 15 new chicks last spring and have a total of 20 chickens in our flock now. My hubby just added more nesting boxes for them and we also have added a crested gecko, and just this week we are fostering two pups from the pound who were strays.
So we are in all the chaos of learning them, them learning us and our routines, our two other dogs trying to get used to them and dealing with one of the new pups having kennel cough. We are hoping they settle in with our other two dogs so that we can keep them but we know it can take a while for everyone to settle down and figure things out.

Attachments

• IMG_9876.jpeg
    IMG_9876.jpeg
    870.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9706.jpeg
    IMG_9706.jpeg
    547.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9921.jpeg
    IMG_9921.jpeg
    458.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9934.jpeg
    IMG_9934.jpeg
    451.8 KB · Views: 1
Hello chicken fam. We have been busy, our almost year old ladies have settled in(minus 1 from Hawk attack) My favorite greybee, a lavender Ameracauna(short for grey baby since we already have grey bird a lavender Orpington) loves to holler at me for attention and a pick up. Lost 4 adults, I think water belly, hawk and who knows what else, they just keeled over. I super cleaned the coop in case it was something contagious. ( Don't ask me how, I didn't follow directions, but luckily everyone is ok) We just got some babies about 2 weeks ago, they are growing so fast. I got cuckoo marans and one olive egger. 7 in total but really only 2 since I am replacing the lost ones. Chicken math! We have easter eggers, 3 columbian brahmas(that were supposed to be either Easter Eggers or lavender Ameracaunas, splash Easter Egger, one white laced Wyndotte, an 8 year old Ameracauna - Cheeto, who continues to lay eggs and Grey Bird the lavender Orpington. Can't wait for warmer weather so the ladies can spend the day outside roaming.
Beautiful chickens!! Love the chicken math theory as we all get that!

Is that a border collie? Looks like one but larger than our Josie who also guards our chickens.

Hey all! We got 15 new chicks last spring and have a total of 20 chickens in our flock now. My hubby just added more nesting boxes for them and we also have added a crested gecko, and just this week we are fostering two pups from the pound who were strays.
So we are in all the chaos of learning them, them learning us and our routines, our two other dogs trying to get used to them and dealing with one of the new pups having kennel cough. We are hoping they settle in with our other two dogs so that we can keep them but we know it can take a while for everyone to settle down and figure things out.
Awesome!!! They’re all so cute!!!

Hi there! This is a fun idea! We’ve definitely been busy this spring. So far it’s the best year we’ve had in both Lamona sales and our own production for both our meat and breeding program.
I never heard of Lamona chickens so had to look them up. That's awesome. Glad to hear things are doing well for you!!

Still enjoying raising chickens and ducks. Reduced flock from 60+ to about 12 (sold the younger ones) due to being unable to deal with a large flock due to injury. Have a broody duck, so waiting to see what happens there.
Sorry to hear and hope you're doing better! I hope your broody duck brings you many little ducklings. There isn't anything cuter!!

Back
Top Bottom