Chick shipping questions

Themehmeh

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Texas
I ordered chicks from Mcmurray and the confirmation message says it was sent to the post office on a Saturday, and should arrive Sunday-Tuesday.

So... Do the USPS Sorting facilities work on Sunday or are the poor baby chickens sitting alone in some cold warehouse because the hatchery didn't hold my order for another day? Or does the postal service deliver live orders on sunday?

Last edited:
Hmm... There isn't anyone working at the front desk of the post office or delivering on Sunday, so they won't be delivered today. Well that is how it works in my area. Hopefully they are in a heated building. My local post office called in the morning to say they had a live order that was being kept inside.

I've always been told that the "mail moves everyday"--the trucks are driving and planes are flying and sorters are sorting. A quick Google search confirms that the mail is moving on Sundays.

Last edited:
Huh, everything turned out better than expected.
Turns out my post office has a skeleton crew working on Sundays and they let me pick up the chicks early.
I lost 2 before they arrived and one was pretty far gone, I gave it some electrolyte water with a syringe (not down the throat, I let it drink the drops) and it perked up a little, but I had to go to work and it died while I was away. For 26 chicks shipped from a location with below 0 weather. That's a pretty good turn out.

Sorry you lost a few, but, true it could have been worse if the skeleton crew did not call you. It is interesting to know that they do have some staff there that can make contact about live orders. thanks for letting us know.

Back
Top Bottom