CHICKEN BREED DISCUSSION THREAD!!

Hi @Roada Red!
Some of my white Jersey Giant's, and red Sussex.

I have easter eggers and a couple EE Welsummer crosses, a polish, brown leghorn, silkies... not many pics on new phone.

Loving this thread @Roada Red ! Your birds are beautiful! I've been considering Salmon Faverolles for a while, but worry that all that fluff will make them too uncomfortable in the desert heat here.

@Beer can I knew you had Jersey Giants, but I don't think I've ever seen these photos before. They look HUGE! I've recently been considering this breed as well.

If you get the feeling that I covet a lot of breeds, you'd be right. If only I had about ten more acres and a much bigger budget.
wink.png

So...my breeds. I have a lot of them. I started keeping chickens a little more than a year ago with the intention of having fresh eggs. Then I decided fresh meat should be part of the equation too. I began with hatchery Barred Rocks, Australorps and Silkies and still have most of them. (I culled the two Silkie cockerels). Then I added NN Turkens, which I really love, Bielefelders, White Rocks, EE, and what were supposed to be pure Dorkings but turned out to be Dorking-mixes, and what was supposed to be a pure Ameraucana but turned out to be a mix as well. Since then I've bred some barnyard mixes as well as maintained a line of pure NNs.

I'd love to keep a flock of pure Bielefelders but have found the breed to be too heat sensitive, so I'm trying to cross them to improve heat tolerance. Here are some of my pure Biels, hanging out with some of my NNs and WRs:

And here's some of my NN flock:

This is my first flock, about a year old now.

And these are some of their offspring. This pen contains the boys, and the girls can be seen outside of the pen looking in. You can also see one of the cockerels from my Bielefelder/Australorp cross in this photo. He looks a lot like a Barred Rock, but is much, much bigger than my BRs ever were.

Last edited:
And these are some of my Bielefelder/Silkie crosses...what one person recommended I call "Bielkies".

I plan to cross them back to the Bielefelders to possibly create a bantam strain of Biels.

They've just started laying recently, winter here and I got them July 2 so still young. These are laying a large brown egg, 55-60 grams ish. Largest eggs I ever had were a couple yrs ago a few brown leghorns pullets first eggs for a couple months were averaging 86 grams, double yolkers.

Ok so what should I say other than u suggested it I already typed that I opened another page
@Roada Red

As the thread starter, you can go back to the first post and click the edit button at the bottom left of the page. You will be able to edit that post for about 6 weeks and then it will be locked. If you want to change what it says on that post, go ahead and make it perfect for you!

Back
Top Bottom