Chicken Breed Focus - Bielefelder

As soon as I walk outside where they can see me, its a full on charge to the gate (treat time).
I give them Meal worms, spring greens and scratch feed. The egg laying pellet feed is a high Omega 17% made by Kalmbach. There's a feed store locally, so no shipping costs.

I ended up with a Bielefelder cockerel as an unwanted "Free Surprise Chick" with my hatchery order by accident. I cannot have roosters because I live within the city limits. So I am planning to butcher this bird. At what age would it be best to get the best quality meat from this dual purpose breed?

I ended up with a Bielefelder cockerel as an unwanted "Free Surprise Chick" with my hatchery order by accident. I cannot have roosters because I live within the city limits. So I am planning to butcher this bird. At what age would it be best to get the best quality meat from this dual purpose breed?
If he's disruptive, mischievous, somewhat aggressive, you can butcher as soon as 8-10 weeks, but not much meat. Bieles are pretty docile. I wait until they start crowing (maybe 5 months). By then there's more meat (and flavor).

If he's disruptive, mischievous, somewhat aggressive, you can butcher as soon as 8-10 weeks, but not much meat. Bieles are pretty docile. I wait until they start crowing (maybe 5 months). By then there's more meat (and flavor).
Thank you for your input! We are raising meat birds who will be ready at 3 to 3 1/2 months. It would be easier to butcher him at the same time, but he won't amount to much at that point, sadly. Still, waiting means we have to butcher him separately, without the equipment we will be borrowing through a friend of a friend, and hand plucking a rooster sounds like no fun at all. Decisions, decisions!

Thank you for your input! We are raising meat birds who will be ready at 3 to 3 1/2 months. It would be easier to butcher him at the same time, but he won't amount to much at that point, sadly. Still, waiting means we have to butcher him separately, without the equipment we will be borrowing through a friend of a friend, and hand plucking a rooster sounds like no fun at all. Decisions, decisions!
After dispatch, dip body into pot of hot water to scald. Feathers wipe right off so it’s not too much work- especially if only one bird. (Not boiling but hot. Maybe 180’F, but look up temp to be sure)

You can always make the decision if he’s big enough on processing day.

Is there a Bantam version of the Bielefelder? I have a full size rooster, but I also have a Bantam rooster that looks very similar. I can't seem to attach a pic. sorry

Okay....I had a baby hatch with a single line of feathering going down the side of each leg!!! My flock is all Biels, all came from Omega Hills. Do Bielefelders have any feather footed birds in their genetics, maybe way far back? This is crazy! 12 others from the same pairing, no one else has this. Its so odd!

Okay....I had a baby hatch with a single line of feathering going down the side of each leg!!! My flock is all Biels, all came from Omega Hills. Do Bielefelders have any feather footed birds in their genetics, maybe way far back? This is crazy! 12 others from the same pairing, no one else has this. Its so odd!
Malines were one of the breeds used to create the Bielefelder, they have feathered legs. I have eight three week old chicks. They all have clean legs.

Back
Top Bottom