Chicken Breed Focus - Blue Andalusian

The majority of my flock within the coop this evening. I'm incubating eggs right now hoping to improve size, lacing, and get a better combed rooster to head my flock. We will see.

The majority of my flock within the coop this evening. I'm incubating eggs right now hoping to improve size, lacing, and get a better combed rooster to head my flock. We will see.

Very nice photo...even without enlarging the picture, those bright red combs and wattles show up. Pretty birds!

It strongly depends on what these incubated eggs give me.

I'm not against splash, but I'd really like 1 or 2 nice black roosters to keep over a 12 and under flock of hens. As it is, Riggs has his work cut out for him but fertility isn't bad even still in December. If I can get one decent colored rooster then I'll cull very selectively to a 4-6 hen flock and go from there. The reasoning is I'm getting into a few new breeds. As it is almost $200 a month to feed a flock of 50 it adds up pretty quick. I've culled down and maintain two separate flocks right now but my numbers are still up there. Some hard decisions over the next few months. I get attached to my birds.

I likely could if I tried :) but definitely have nowhere for 120 chicks lol. I'm incubating about 40 or so out of all eggs. This is all I'm doing for a while again. New pens to build come spring. New coops to have built. Much to do.

Back
Top Bottom